The headphone appreciation club

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Loving my Shure SR940.

The only problem now is my earphones are only SE215 and in comparison they sound ****.

What to do.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
fr0g said:
Loving my Shure SR940.

The only problem now is my earphones are only SE215 and in comparison they sound ****.

What to do.

Spend more money obviously.

Seriously though, a good quality on ear headphones are always going to be better than IEM's IME. A good quality pair of in-ears for £200 - 300 can have very good clarity that is comparable to the best speakers available but on ear headphones for the same price can be considerbly better.

D

Deleted member 2457

I would like a pair of Bose Comfort 3 ones, when I have the money.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi-Fi - PC > Airport Express > Unison Research Unico CDE > Leema Tucana II > Kudos Cardea C2

Head-Fi - AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio Engineered by Young Guru, Shure buds (old model, not sure which as have had them for years)

Portable - Bassboomz bluetooth for its portability but getting a set of Nocs NS2v2 for the kitchen and these can be moved easily (but need a power source)

I blow hot and cold on headphones. Decades ago I bought the first Sennheiser HD414 which in my location were only sold by a swanky B&O dealer. They were a revelation as I could plug them into the speaker outlets of my parents' old record player thingy. It had a ceramic cartridge, so that dates it to about 1969. But I was hooked on stereo by then.

When I could use speakers, which was most of the time, I did. I loved Stax cans and heard them whenever possible at shows and dealers. Later I bought a newer Sennheiser pair, but these are now crumbling away in their box.

A couple of years ago I bought some a-JAYS two, which I'm listening to as I write, and use them for escaping the telly. Also got some Grado SR60i which sound great, but are quite a firm fit, and I get hot ears after more than an hour. The appeal of fantastic quality for, say, five hundred quid, is great. But you still have to clamp them on your head! Hence I'm unsure if I'm a fan....

Right now, I drool over the Oppo, but haven't heard them yet! And I'd want that fab amp too!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
There's no doubt about it nopiano, that given the choice I would listen to speakers rather than headphones simply because it's more relaxing, and as you say you don't have anything clamped on your head. Having said that taking speakers on the tube is a pain in the jacksie.

Although having said that I was listening to my buds on the tube one night, quite loud volume, and when I reached my stop I took them off as I walked out of the station. On the walk back to my place I could hear my music, checked the buds about 3 times and found that it wasn't those. But I could still hear music. When I got home and inside it got louder because there was less road noise etc and at that point I realised that I had a little bluetooth speaker in my pocket so everyone must have been listening to my music on the tube.

Normally it would have been dance/techno, on this particular night it was Elton John for whatever reason.

*blush*

TRENDING THREADS