The first piece of music that got to you?

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
So nearly a year ago friesiansam. posted a thread about emotional response to music. On a similar vein what was the first piece of music that you remember "hitting you in the feels"? as my daughter would say and why?

For me it was Mother from Pink Floyd's The Wall album.
It was 1981 the album had been out two years but up until that point all I'd heard was the 1979 single Another Brick in the Wall part 2.
As I said it was 1981, I was 11, Margaret Thatcher was the prime minister of the UK and across the pond Ronald Reagan was the President of the USA and the whole world thought he was mad enough to push the nuclear button, the opening line of Mother really got me "Mother do you think they will drop the bomb" I remember just turning round and looking at the speakers and thinking oh boy.

Of course there were loads of songs I liked growing up listening to my mum and dad's favourite artists, But that is the first one I remember actually getting to me

Mother still is one of my favourite songs.

So what was the first song that hit you?

jjbomber

As I said it was 1981, I was 11, Margaret Thatcher was the prime minister of the UK and across the pond Ronald Reagan was the President of the USA and the whole world thought he was mad enough to push the nuclear button,
Written in 1979 though, when Jim Callaghan was Prime Minister and Jimmy Carter was US President. However, close enough so ... Have A Cigar!

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Written in 1979 though, when Jim Callaghan was Prime Minister and Jimmy Carter was US President. However, close enough so ... Have A Cigar!
Yeah I know it was written in 79 but just the timing of when I first heard it. If I'd heard it in 79 it probably would not have had the same impact. There is more to that song than the first line.
Also curious as to the first songs that got to other forum members

Gray

So what was the first song that hit you?
I'll let you know as soon as one does hit me 👍
Nothing stands out as hitting me in the way you describe.
The old pace, rythm and timing of music is what gets to me rather than any storytelling.
(Probably why I don't read books or watch films).

There are songs that make me think about the words, such as 'Cat's In The Cradle' by Harry Chapin or 'Do You Know Where You're Going To' by Diana Ross - but then, I'd just as soon take 'Love Hangover' by her.....because it's always more about the rythm than the words for me.

Last edited:

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I'll let you know as soon as one does hit me 👍
Nothing stands out as hitting me in the way you describe.
The old pace, rythm and timing of music is what gets to me rather than any storytelling.
(Probably why I don't read books or watch films).

There are songs that make me think about the words, such as 'Cats In The Cradle' by Harry Chapin or 'Do You Know Where You're Going To' by Diana Ross - but then, I'd just as soon take 'Love Hangover' by her.....because it's always more about the rythm than the words for me.
To be fair with most of the music I listen to it's probably the same as you. There are songs I just love, give me goose bumps etc and I can't put my finger on why, a mix of the singing and the music. I even have a "happy place" play list on Spotify.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

You might regret asking that. I'm sure most of the songs on there, you would be saying "how the hell is that a happy place song"😜
I'm in no position to be judging anyone - I own a CD called 'Guilty Pleasures'.

And.....I've always quite liked a David Cassidy* track 😱

There's no accounting for taste.
Give us your list.

*And no, I'm not gay....but I've slept with a bloke who is.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I'm in no position to be judging anyone - I own a CD called 'Guilty Pleasures'.

And.....I've always quite liked a David Cassidy* track 😱

There's no accounting for taste.
Give us your list.

*And no, I'm not gay....but I've slept with a bloke who is.
Here we go. Don't know if the link will work. I've tried to open a couple of links to Spotify playlists on these forums and they've never worked for me. So if I'd doesn't work let me know and I'll type all the songs out.

Gray

Here we go. Don't know if the link will work. I've tried to open a couple of links to Spotify playlists on these forums and they've never worked for me. So if I'd doesn't work let me know and I'll type all the songs out.

It did work.
And, once I'd rejected all Spotify's offers to be tracked 🤨I could see your list - and I knew of some of them!
(Not usually the case for me, never heard of many people's suggestions) 👍

Reactions: Cricketbat70

DCarmi

Or was it Terry Jacks's 'Seasons in the Sun.'
This was the first single I bought with my own money. Don't think I have heard it in well over 40 years and have no intention of seeking it out!

That said, I did inherit my Mother's record collection, which I obviously heard when young. Some of it was in too poor a state. I found myself picking up a Frank Sinatra triple CD from a charity shop as a replacement, which I play from time to time. I guess that sort of thing does "get to you". I do always skip "My Way", which I loathe.

(I should say my Mother was mostly into opera and choral works which I struggle with.)

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
My
This was the first single I bought with my own money. Don't think I have heard it in well over 40 years and have no intention of seeking it out!

That said, I did inherit my Mother's record collection, which I obviously heard when young. Some of it was in too poor a state. I found myself picking up a Frank Sinatra triple CD from a charity shop as a replacement, which I play from time to time. I guess that sort of thing does "get to you". I do always skip "My Way", which I loathe.

(I should say my Mother was mostly into opera and choral works which I struggle with.)
Grandad was into opera, I never did get it.
My dad was into The Rolling Stones, Duane Eddie, The Everly Brothers, Dusty Springfield,Timu Yuro, Brenda Lee,

My mum the Beatles, David Bowie, Rid Stewart, Dr Hook.

The first record I ever bought with my own money was Ghost Town by the Specials.

Gray

My Grandad was into opera, I never did get it.
Funny you should say that.
It was my uncle that got me into this lark (dragging me round London hi-fi shows when I was about 8 and giving me mags, starting from when Hi-fi News was 20 pence 🙂).

He was a Geordie, real no-nonsense, ex miner and Royal Marine.
You couldn't imagine a more unlikely Opera fan, but he was well into it 🤔

Reactions: 12th Monkey

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts