The deal with subwoofers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Subwoofers have no place in a true 2 channel music system.
Subwoofers are for dudes with cheap AV receivers, who watch Marvel and Avengers movies, and like to hear the drywall shake.

NOT FOR MUSIC!

It is not a simple yes or no answer unfortunately. There are several categories here to address separately:

Category 1: Cost and space no objection, I would go for a pair of Infinity IRSs and call it a day - definitely no subwoofers required.

Category 2: I could be someone who considers for example, an LS3/5A derivative monitor as a reference audiophile speaker - no subwoofers required again.

Category 3: I might not be too bothered about articulate bass so relatively medium budget floorstanders with decent sized woofers will do the job of energizing lower octaves in the room.

Category 4: I could be a newcomer to this hobby and may have had enough resources to get myself say a pair of new 802D3s driven by a mammoth power amp but placed in a small room, unable to listen at high SPLs for whatever reason, and desperately wondering where the low-end is.

Category 5: Maybe I am a seasoned audiophile and my system might consist of a pair of very tuneful slim speaker towers and yet, to others it might all sound a bit thin and lifeless.

. . .
. . .
. . .
I could go on and on .... but in short, categories 1,2 & 3 definitely do not need a subwoofer for 2-channel music.

However, there are those who are in categories 4,5,... who are not satisfied with how their system cover the low octaves.

For them, the challenge is really about finding a sub that integrates well with 2-channel music. If the sub does not overwhelm the room and can match the speed of the main speakers, then there is a definite synergy in having a sub.

Reactions: k77stan

Will1962

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
Nice (y) Btw, what is the crossover frequency for the subs at please?
I've crossed them over quite low around 45Hz as the Buchardts are supposed to drop to around 35Hz which is a bit whimsical the rels probably do overlap slightly they drop off around 30Hz so not a true sub but will cover what music I listen to. I have owned a few subs from different manufacturers eg svs ultra tubes and the massive pb ultra 2 so have a bit of experience. I only use the rels for music and they've integrated beautifully in my system can't tell there even playing till you turn them off bad guy by Billie eilish sounds awesome the bass is very tight and tuneful my room though isn't the biggest at 16ftx12ft so plenty of power on tap. I should imagine the behemoth of a sub you own really rocks a tad expensive though. I have owned Atc scm 11s mk2s which I kept for 3 years great speakers I hate bass boom with a passion that's why I chose them very tight tuneful speakers only just recently changed to the buchardts which also offer similar traits you can listen to them all day without listener fatigue. Don't think ill be changing anything else for quite some time very happy.😊.

A subwoofer can make a system into something truly special.

It’s not about wall shaking lows. It’s about definition, smoothness and depth.

A subwoofer is the most important component. Ime when effectively aligned, calibrated and dialled in no other component can make such a profound difference to the overall performance of a system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts