The consequences of good hi-fi

matthewpiano

Today I've played a wide range of music. Each time I've played a disc or a track, I've been drawn into the music and been reminded why it is in my collection. I've marvelled at the wonderfully rhythmic playing of Oscar Peterson, and the interplay between the members of his trio. I've been excited to the point of playing air-guitar when listening to 'The Chain' by Fleetwood Mac. I've wondered at the virtuosity and dynamic palette of Arcadi Volodos' piano playing. I've been completely immersed in the folk stories of Seth Lakeman and Jim Moray. I've been blown away all over again by the tremendous tonal and dynamic range of the orchestra in a disc of Mendelssohn's under-rated orchestral works.

This is, for me, the whole point of hi-fi - the whole reason why I've searched for so long. It doesn't matter what it looks like, how much (or little) it cost, or whether it is new or old. All that matters is that it makes sense of my music collection whilst re-opening the voyage of constant discovery and re-discovery it represents.

This has been a very good day in the life of matthewpiano!

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano: I've been blown away all over again by the tremendous tonal and dynamic range of the orchestra in a disc of Mendelssohn's under-rated orchestral works. underrated surely not

matthewpiano

one off:
matthewpiano: I've been blown away all over again by the tremendous tonal and dynamic range of the orchestra in a disc of Mendelssohn's under-rated orchestral works. underrated surely not

Sadly so. I know a lot of music academics who have nothing but contempt for Mendelssohn, writing him off as some sort of kitsch romantic. I disagree. I think there is far more to his music than that.

A

Anonymous

nice post Matthew ... fully agree ... at the end of the day, it's the music that counts

I have an extensive collection of cd's ... mainly older stuff (rock/blues) ... since joining spotify, have started listening to classical and jazz and starting to enjoy some of it, and have been buying a few cd's

I have also researched which cd's are regarded as 'audiophile' quality (well recorded/produced), and over the past few weeks have been buying one or 2 a week (of the ones I enjoy)

bought 2 today (Joe Bonamassa - Blues Deluxe and Jimmy Smith - Bashin) ... not cheap ... The Joe Bonamassa was £15 from HMV

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:one off:
Sadly so. I know a lot of music academics who have nothing but contempt for Mendelssohn, writing him off as some sort of kitsch romantic. I disagree. I think there is far more to his music than that.i really like his stuff whar would you recommend i have symphony no 1 and 3 plus the violin concerto

Nice one, Matthew - really pleased you've finally found a set-up you love. As I read your post I was starting wince, expecting a 'BUT ' or a 'HOWEVER'.....
emotion-5.gif

dim_span hit the nail on the head when he said it's all about the music. Too often, we all fall into the 'analysis this or that' trap.

Enjoy.

A

Anonymous

having finally got my system to a point where I love it ... I have tried experimenting with different music.

Normally a Rock/Blues fan (some pop too I guess) my mother suggested I try some classical stuff and because I thought it would at least sound great, I decided to try some ............ my God, I actually enjoyed it too - very relaxing !

So another consequence of good hi-fi is that I am now experimenting more with different types of music, that perhaps I would not have bothered with in the past. Surprised the hell out of me!!

matthewpiano

one off:matthewpiano:one off:
Sadly so. I know a lot of music academics who have nothing but contempt for Mendelssohn, writing him off as some sort of kitsch romantic. I disagree. I think there is far more to his music than that.i really like his stuff whar would you recommend i have symphony no 1 and 3 plus the violin concerto

At the obvious end of the spectrum there is the Hebrides Overture which is wonderful in the same way that Smetana's Vltava is - a good recording or performance of it completely transports you away.

The Piano Concertos are good, and the solo piano music is wonderful whether you listen to the miniature 'Songs Without Words' or explore some of the more extended pieces for the instrument.

A

Anonymous

thanks mp any versions in particular you recommend before i hit amazon

the smetana troo though i confess ive heard little of his work

T

the record spot

Finally, rather like matthewpiano, I landed the paydirt and got the amp I'd wanted which turned up at the right time on Ebay. Won the auction, got it delivered and been delighted with it. I now listen to music happily in a way I wasn't quite doing so before.

I think once you find the right blend of equipment, then you'll know you're there. Is there better out there? I don't think that's point anymore - there'll always be "the next step up" and the same applies to me as anyone else. There comes a point though in the realisation that to achieve that step up will involve a stack of cash, a LOT of hassle and possibly a bunch of regret at the end.

I'm delighted with where I'm at right now; I've got a setup that delivers on all fronts - it's a mix alright, the only thing in it less than 10 years old are the CD player and the Audioquest interconnect, the speakers are 15 years old, the speaker cable about 13 and the amp is probably 31-33 years old. The music issuing forth however is full of life, punch, easy to listen to for hours and satisfying.

Okay, so it nearly cost me my marriage, but hell, I can get a wife anywhere, it'd be hell trying to get another amp like this one again!
emotion-2.gif

matthewpiano

For the Mendelssohn Piano Concertos I'd highly recommend Stephen Hough's recording with the CBSO under Lawrence Foster. Its on the Hyperion label's 'The Romantic Piano Concerto' imprint.

For the Hebrides Overture there is a Decca CD, conducted by Riccardo Chailly, entitled 'Mendelssohn Discoveries'.

There is a lovely CD of selected Songs Without Words on Sony Classical, played by Murray Perahia. Alternatively, for the full set, the Daniel Barenboim recording on DG is beautiful.

The best recording I've heard of the Smetana's 'Ma Vlast' is on the LSO Live label. Beautifully played and recorded and well worth seeking out.

idc

BigAir:
.......So another consequence of good hi-fi is that I am now experimenting more with different types of music, that perhaps I would not have bothered with in the past. Surprised the hell out of me!!

That is my experience as well and it is so true BA. Better hifi = more enjoyment of music and musicianship and the desire to listen to more.

Matthew, so glad this has been I am enjoying the music without a 'but' thread.

tenergy

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
IMO, a major consequence is a rapidly diminishing bank account :) Looking forward to attaining the "ideal set-up" budget and sound-wise myself.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts