The cable vote: humour me.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I confess that I am surprised that the subject of cables prompts such strong debate, so have a question. But a request first, as I really don't want this to cause the exchange of heated views, so let's show Mr Everard that we can behave. If it strays, I apologise in advance to the mods and would welcome the thread being locked or offending posts being moderated.

All I want to know is how widely held the different views are, so if you want to take part, could I ask that you just indicate which of the four options most closely accords with your views/experiences?

Your options are:

1) Every cable has a distinct sonic/optical signature.
2) There are perceptible differences between some cables, and the differences can be quite marked.
3) There are perceptible differences between some cables, but the differences are small.
4) All cables are the same, and there are no audible or visible differences.

Thanks!

I'll start with a 2.

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
There isn't a category for this, but I think analogue cables can make a difference but digital cables don't really matter.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
noogle said:
There isn't a category for this, but I think analogue cables can make a difference but digital cables don't really matter.

7) Now your complicating things.
smiley-laughing.gif

A

Anonymous

I'll keep to the original post:

3) There are perceptible differences between some cables, but the differences are small.

But I would also add that in changing components with the fairly expensive kit I've got, all differences are now fairly small and you need really revealing kit to hear them!!

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I'd go somewhere between 1 and 3.

I think a well built cable should be good enough for most. I'm a massive proponent for DIY so I tend to build my own cables using good quality wire and decent connectors (not boutique, just good mechanical design and good construction materials). Gives me the best of both sides of the cable debate.

A

Anonymous

I'm going for somewhere in-between 2 & 3 folks ( otherwise I've wasted a fortune).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My experience has led me to the following (personal) conclusions:

1) To a degree. Some makes appear to have more of a house sound eg. Cardas vs Nordost

2) Yes, especially with different conductor materials ie Solid Silver vs Copper vs Silver coated Copper and the way they're constructed (solid/stranded etc); even the dielectric has an effect. There was a marked difference between Atlas Mavros (copper) vs Asimi (silver).

3) To what extent this happens, depends on how revealing the system is. Sometimes on very expensive systems, a £1k cable can be the cheapest upgrade you can make.

4) I've also come across cables where the difference was negligable, so hard to make hard and fast rules.

Power cables are tricky, I have heard worthwhile improvements, to none at all. It seems both location and equipment dependent.

Digital cables are trickier still. I have heard a difference, but it was a £12 cable vs £200 one, and the gain wasn't worth it.

Cno

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
6) Thanks. I was getting a bit bored and wondering what to do – keeping an eye on this should do very nicely...

Hey, civility prevails. If it heads south from here, I apologise.

Thanks for the opinions so far.

Messiah

In my experience I have noticed quite a marked difference between speaker cables but little (if any) difference between signal cables be-it analogue or digital.

So I am kind of 2 for speaker cable and 3 for the rest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts