The British Broadcasting Corporation....

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
chebby:Oh I do wish they wouldn't.

I know. So trivial. Since 1895.

Yep, it'll never last.............

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MENISCUS:Andrew Everard:

Longevity is not always a good thing. For instance Malaria has been around a while now.

The British Empire was around for a while too, but it is about time we stopped celebrating it still at the end of what is now an annual international music festival. (With songs whose original and full lyrics celebrate subjugation of imperial enemies and expansion of territory.)

Thankfully in recent years the organisers have tried to tone down the more rabidly jingoistic content of the 2nd half of LNOTP.

'Jerusalem' is ok though. Lyrics about an ancient Somerset /Cornish legend and a protest against the ugly industrial mills written by a bonkers poet. (And should be our National anthem rather than the dirge we have now!)

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
chebby:MENISCUS:Andrew Everard:

Longevity is not always a good thing. For instance Malaria has been around a while now.

The British Empire was around for a while too, but it is about time we stopped celebrating it still at the end of what is now an annual international music festival. (With songs whose original and full lyrics celebrate subjugation of imperial enemies and expansion of territory.)

Thankfully in recent years the organisers have tried to tone down the more rabidly jingoistic content of the 2nd half of LNOTP.

'Jerusalem' is ok though. Lyrics about an ancient Somerset /Cornish legend and a protest against the ugly industrial mills written by a bonkers poet. (And should be our National anthem rather than the dirge we have now!)

I am with you, as long as we use the ELP version of Jerusalem.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:You know, sometimes - and just for a moment - I actually think you're being serious...

About 'Jerusalem' being our National anthem? Yes. Passionately so.

I love the vision of the lyrics and the tradition/legend it refers to. It is also a plee for peace which is far more appropriate today than some of the lyrics in our present national anthem.

As for the LNOTP. It is just an embarassing picture of 'Britishness' and I simply don't watch it. (Perhaps they should show re-runs of 'Love Thy Neighbour' after it!)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby:About 'Jerusalem' being our National anthem? Yes. Passionately so.

Trouble is, until we are completely devolved, 'England's green and pleasant land' won't go down too well with the rest of the UK.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Trouble is, until we are completely devolved, 'England's green and pleasant land' won't go down too well with the rest of the UK.

I think the Scots and Welsh should have no problem with an English anthem. They have their own and use them.

Less 'troublesome' than a Royal Anthem that has already had to be trimmed (and frequently re-written) and only celebrates a person rather than a land or a people.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Personally I'd love to hear 'God Save The Queen by The Sex Pistols' the next time Lewis Hamilton or Jenson Button win a Grand Prix and they're up on the podium! Surely that wouldn't offend anyone (as long it was the DVD-Audio version of course)?

A

Anonymous

chebby:MENISCUS:Andrew Everard:

Longevity is not always a good thing. For instance Malaria has been around a while now

Very true chebby, but by the number of your posts so have you..........

A

Anonymous

chebby:Andrew Everard:

I think the Scots and Welsh should have no problem with an English anthem. They have their own and use them.

Less 'troublesome' than a Royal Anthem that has already had to be trimmed (and frequently re-written) and only celebrates a person rather than a land or a people.

I am with Chebby on this... our national anthem is an embarrassment. The other day when England played Slovenia the commentors explained, whilst the Slovenians sang their anthem, that it was (in translation) called 'A Toast' and that it wished all other nations well and prayed for peace between all nations.... then our boys quip up.... wishing that God would allow our Queen to have a long life....

Jerusalem, to me, is a poem which exhorts a nation to build heaven on earth... that puts forward the idea that such a vision is not only possible, but, if our nation works together, entirely possible... I would sing that with pride at the top of my lungs... as opposed to hoping that the Monarch will be saved by God.

A

Anonymous

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among those dark Satanic mills?

4 questions 4 noes you want an anthem built on lies has to be the sex pistols

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
one off:

The man was a poet and he was writing about a legend and a vision.

Do you eschew fictional literature and poetry because it is all 'lies' too?

A

Anonymous

chebby:MENISCUS:
Very true chebby, but by the number of your posts so have you.........

And?

As 'Meniscus' (and before that as 'Bluetorric') you have been around a lot longer.

Eh ?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MENISCUS:

Eh ?

'Bluetorric' your old userid here and present one on the Naim forum.

You pointed it out a little while ago with a link (I think) to the Rega Exact you bought for £90 from a gent on ebay (who was getting his Wilson Benesch cartridge re-tipped).

You were also one of the first to greet me (as Bluetorric) on the Naim forum.

A

Anonymous

chebby, I do not know or have ever been to be bluetorric, so if you are accusing me of some sort of fraud please prove it, this quiet interesting...............

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MENISCUS:chebby, I do not know or have ever been to be
bluetorric, so if you are accusing me of some sort of fraud please
prove it, this quiet interesting...............

Can the moderators please provide Meniscus with my private e-mail (and his to me) with his permission of course.

I would rather deal with this offline.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

so you accuse someone of something they say their not then want to hide offline in case your wrong so much for jerusalem

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
chebby:one off:

The man was a poet and he was writing about a legend and a vision.

Leaving aside the fact that I'd vote for the Dawkins Party, we could use some of that vision these days. Also, great tune!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
one off:so you accuse someone of something they say their not then want to hide offline in case your wrong so much for jerusalem

The evidence for my assertion that Meniscus is Bluetorric is 50/50 on this forum and the Naim users forum and simply would not be allowable - under our house rules - for many reasons apart from the obvious one of providing links to a competing hifi forum and the completely off-topic nature of the discussion. One also needs to be logged into the Naim forum to see some of it.

Basically from the earliest system onwards (Arcam A75+/CD72/B&W CM1s) onwards - and thoughout - the components discusssed by Bluetorric and Meniscus have been identical right up until his current system on both fora (as both Bluetorric and then Meniscus in the case of the WHF forums).

A google search even showed up ebay feedback from Bluetorric for very recent analogue items that Meniscus owns. (The Exact items in all cases)

I was getting a little tired of jibes from Meniscus in the recent past (posted here) referring to posts in another forum and fed up with being at the disadvantage of not knowing who was doing it. Meniscus stated he wished to remain anonymous and advised me of the wisdom of using different names if I was to avoid him continuing.

Fine.

I found the 'different name' and was suprised to find it here too as a defunct ID.

Heck, the WHF 'Bluetorric' even mentioned being an optician. (Meniscus lens?). Although that is only incidental.

Here is one little test of the probabilities....

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/post/53082.aspx

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/post/216026.aspx

Both people bought a Supernait after a 'windfall'.

Here we see both people suffered a broken B&W CM1 tweeter from a small child poking it...

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/post/292096.aspx

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/post/32934.aspx

On their own, coincidental, but together with all the other 'co-incidences' spread across two forums it would be astounding if they were not the same person.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
Can the moderators please provide Meniscus with my private e-mail (and his to me) with his permission of course.

I would rather deal with this offline.

Thanks.

Nope - you made this public, resolve it in public. Enough of the self-referential secrecy and subtexts, already...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ok Andrew.

Publicly then...

Check out this ebay feedback (easily found searching Bluetorric and Exact on google where it is the fifth item) and scroll down a bit to look for a 'Bluetorric' buying a Rega Exact cartridge on 18th August then view the item.

The description mentions the winning price of £90 and that the seller only used the Rega Exact temporarily whilst having a Wilson Benesch re-tipped.

Now if you look here then 'Meniscus' is talking about buying a Rega Exact for £90 from an old guy who only used it for a month whilst having a Wilson Benesch re-tipped.

So he should not still maintain that he was not Bluetorric on WHF (before his present user identity) and that he is not Bluetorric on the Naim forum too.

It is not a common ID and google only comes up with WHF, Naim forum and ebay feedback for Bluetorric.

There. As far as I am concerned Meniscus is lying when he states...

MENISCUS:chebby, I do not know or have ever been to be
bluetorric, so if you are accusing me of some sort of fraud please
prove it,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts