the best dac

techboy

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
HP-A8 by Fostex is primarily a DAC but also has a headphone out. It is geared towards the headphone market but there should be no stopping you from using it in your hifi system I guess.

It is an excellent or at least pretty good buy as a DAC (first) / HEADAMP (second) combo in the sub $1500-2000 range and you can always pair it with a better headphone amp to just use the DAC as is with most such products.

Usually DACs in the headphone market are more niche and provide more VFM, so I would guess it won't be easy to beat this DAC in the HIFI segment south of 2k USD or more perhaps. The Schiit Bifrost which costs about $500 or so usually competes well with Hifi DACs in the $500-1000 range and rarely does it lose badly.

On another note, another DAC (first) / HeadAMP (second) combo called Asus Essence One Muses edition which retails for $900 is very close in performance to the HP-A8. Although I admit the Asus one is much cheaper, but then the Asus one is much newer and is supposed to be a giant killer.

It is as good as any DAC in the sub $1500 range and a very competent AMP in the sub $500 range and also has a PRE and also has several other features but at the same time just costs $900. No combo south of $1500-2000 beats it, at most you can match it. It is close in performance to HP-A8, the DAC is likely much better in the Asus but the AMP is probably much better in the HP-A8. Overall, it might end up coming down to preference.

The Asus Essence One (Standard edition) which retails for $600 isn't in the same league though, as the above, not even close.

Also, do note, these units work better for headphones but often do a great job for traditional hifi as well, but are designed with headphones in mind.

Thank You so much!

Aakshey

techboy

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
You can read more on headfonia.com or 6moons.com

Thank You so much! :)

Aakshey

PS:

If all you want is the best possible DAC on a mid level budget, like $1000 approx, then the best you will get is the Asus Essence One Muses edition in my opinion, but there may be some other ones which others may prefer, because it is all subjective and not everything is objective.

If you have a budget in the $2000-2500 range, then Asus is soon releasing Asus Essence III and based on their past records, I have no doubt that it would be an excellent bet in the sub $3k DAC segment.

What is your budget? Do you necessarily need a headphone out? What type of sound signature do you like? What features do you need?

Schiit Audio produces excellent DACs as well, but not as good as Asus but with a different presentation, so partly it boils down to subjective preference.

And you do need a really good setup if you want to spend $1000 or so on a DAC. What is your setup?

Thank You so much!

Aakshey

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I think it is a wonderful DAC and headphone amp at its Japanese retail price of around 550 pounds. I've heard it connected to amp and speakers, and I liked the sound. I think it is a great DAC, but I'm not sure that it is the best at its price level, especially the elevated prices it seems to sell for overseas.

Despite PP's comment, Fostex is a well respected brand that does OEM manufacturing for other brands, sells speakers as well as drivers and components for those wanting to build their own speakers. They also do a wide range of recording gear, including active speakers. They active speakers (RS-N2) were chosen by NHK to be used as their reference monitors. I believe they retail at around 25,000 pound for a pair, which doesn't include the Accuphase power amplification they are made to work with.

techboy

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
It may not be the hands down best DAC sub $1500 but it is a reasonably good one. And at 550 pounds I don't think anything is likely to be as good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts