The best amp for B&W 606 up to $700

alex_aproxin

Nov 3, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone!

Recently got B&W 606 speakers, bought Pro-Ject Debut III turntable, collected 40 vinyls atm, but still can't choose amplifier :(

Mostly will be listen to metal, hardcore.
Budget: up to $700

Thanks a lot in advance for the recommendations!

Welcome to the forum,
Did you listen to the 606's before you bought them? If so what was powering them then?
Many people recommend Rotel amplifiers with B&W speakers.
Can you audition any Rotels wherever you are?
not sure if prices of hifi kit where you are either but you should be able to get the A12 for your budget.
Failing that try to find a used Creek Evolution 50A

Reactions: alex_aproxin

alex_aproxin

Nov 3, 2021
Visit site
Unfortunately i I did't have an opportunity to listen them, relied only on recommendations.
As for the Rotel.. read on other forums that it doesn't perform well in playing alternative music (mids, distortion)

Unfortunately i I did't have an opportunity to listen them, relied only on recommendations.
As for the Rotel.. read on other forums that it doesn't perform well in playing alternative music (mids, distortion)
Welcome. That’s ridiculous, what you read. Amplifiers don’t listen to music to decide what style it is, they just make it louder!

Where are you based, and what is your budget?

alex_aproxin

Nov 3, 2021
Visit site
heya 🙂

i'm based in Mariupol, Ukraine
btw, chatting right now with the hi-fi shop assistant and he recommends to buy Advance Acoustic X-i50BT instead of Rotel a10 (the argument is better energy for the same price)

also wdyt about these models:

Yamaha A-S301
Denon PMA-600NE
Onkyo a-9130

thanks!

Last edited:
heya 🙂

i'm based in Mariupol, Ukraine
btw, chatting right now with the hi-fi shop assistant and he recommends to buy Advance Acoustic X-i50BT instead of Rotel a10 (the argument is better energy for the same price)

also wdyt about these models:

Yamaha A-S301
Denon PMA-600NE
Onkyo a-9130

thanks!
rubbish written about the Rotel I think.
anyway for your budget you should be able to get the Denon 800ne if you don't like the Rotel idea. I have no idea as to how well it will pair with your speakers though.
Never heard the Advance Acoustic, I think they are French.

Last edited:

manicm

It's almost a cliche to pair Rotel and B&Ws, when a good number of other amps are available. And one reputable hifi reviewer explicitly cautioned against pairing the 606S2 with the Rotel A11 Tribute.

Why not try an Audiolab 6000A for example? Or any number of NAD amps too?

It's almost a cliche to pair Rotel and B&Ws, when a good number of other amps are available. And one reputable hifi reviewer explicitly cautioned against pairing the 606S2 with the Rotel A11 Tribute.

Why not try an Audiolab 6000A for example? Or any number of NAD amps too?
It's a cliche because more often than not the synergy is there, the fact that one reviewer didn't like it is neither here nor there.
Your suggestion for the Audiolab may be a good one I don't know.

alex_aproxin

Nov 3, 2021
Visit site
well yea, we are where we are..
that NAD model costs ±$800 in Ukraine

the main requirement for the amplifier is that it will cope well with the control/movement of the speakers on fast tracks, separate well mid and low frequencies

Zakhele

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone!

Recently got B&W 606 speakers, bought Pro-Ject Debut III turntable, collected 40 vinyls atm, but still can't choose amplifier :(

Mostly will be listen to metal, hardcore.
Budget: up to $700

Thanks a lot in advance for the recommendations!
Arcam FMJ39 second hand selling for £500-£600 very good condition

manicm

Here are som amps he might or might not use, the video's can help op by making him focus on the highs, making shure he get's an amp and speaker cable, the last thing before the speakers (in case he needs differenet,new speaker cable) with as less fatigue, sharp,pronounced highs as possible, something non analytic and bright

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aemo4hcYXSA

I saw this video months ago - he thinks the 606S2 is a great speaker but emphasises amp matching and room placement.

My guess is Andrew Robinson did not have a suitable amp on hand, and that the truth is somewhat in the middle. But he was emphatic it was not a good match for the Rotel A11 Tribute too.

Robc66

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
I've been using a Rega Brio amp for the last year with my 606 S1's and have been delighted with the sound....
I have a hugely varied taste in music from the Stereophonics to Katie Melua to AC/DC and this pairing does a pretty good job with putting a smile on my face whatever I'm listening too. Should be able to pick up a Brio for around GBP500 -600

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts