The Apex Club

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

duaplex said:
Im not convinced of the AW12 sub, i think the system would benefit from a better Sub. The PV1 is fantastic, I have that and i could not love it more. How about pairing it with the GS12 sub. Its safe for your little one too :)

holywoodcowboy

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Guys, my laptop has packed in, (using mobile phone now) so can't run the owners manual disk to set up the Yamaha 3067, how do I connect the sky box, I have the HDMI run in, but shop told me I need to connect an optical cable too, I have this, but do I need it? And where in the back of the amp does it go? Cheers, cowboy

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
try one of the mj acoustic subs, superb or a bk xls200 or 400. sorry no capital letters as having issues with my blackberry when posting on this forum

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I would have to disagree :) The range of frequencies the PV1 can handle is unmatched and has good reason to the recommended sum on whathifi reviews.

But hey the beauty of this forum is that we all can have a different view :)

A

Anonymous

Yep, I agree to disagree, and it is only my opinion, and don't forget this was in my room, with my setup and my preferences only.

michael hoy

holywoodcowboy said:
Guys, my laptop has packed in, (using mobile phone now) so can't run the owners manual disk to set up the Yamaha 3067, how do I connect the sky box, I have the HDMI run in, but shop told me I need to connect an optical cable too, I have this, but do I need it? And where in the back of the amp does it go? Cheers, cowboy

Yes you do need the optical or coax lead as well as the HDMI lead.

You will need to tell the amp to use the HDMI for video and that you have the optical / coax for sound.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Rick,
Using the A10's at the rear has made a big difference. Didn't realize how much more detail there was to be had. The system now sounds fuller if that makes sense.

Using the Radius as front heights has transformed movie watching. It sounds like the walls of the room have dissappered. The sound is far mare involving. Still messing around with settings and will re run Audyssey tomorrow for the front heights.Wife not too impressed with the front heights on the wall but hey she has more to worry about if I get a second sub!!

ric71 said:
Hi Rick, Using the A10's at the rear has made a big difference. Didn't realize how much more detail there was to be had. The system now sounds fuller if that makes sense. Using the Radius as front heights has transformed movie watching. It sounds like the walls of the room have dissappered. The sound is far mare involving. Still messing around with settings and will re run Audyssey tomorrow for the front heights.Wife not too impressed with the front heights on the wall but hey she has more to worry about if I get a second sub!!

Hi ric71

Thanks for your reply.

Nice one :) I am glad your new A10's have helped improve the sound as a whole :bigsmile:

Well at least i am safe because i didn't say anything about a second sub :D

Btw, i am sure you have not thought about using A10's as front heights ;) Now i am in trouble :D

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Rick,
See you are taking my advice and relaxing NOT. My excuse for posting at 4 am is I'm on a night shift till 9am!!
Anyway using A10's at rear has made a huge difference. I have always used Audyssey but now the sound is so improved and balanced I have switched Audyssey off to my great surprise!
Will stick with the Radius front heights for the moment but nice try ha ha.
Still saving for the new amp, whatever it will be as still not 100% sure.
Ric

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Another happy Apex owner today - not sure he's on this forum though....

I still recomend the Pioneer SCLX83 AV receiver for these, but just have to say that anyone considering these for an Arcam AVR400 won't be disppointed at all! Music sounds great through the combo.

A

Anonymous

Frank, what speaker cable would you recommend between LX-83 and a-10's and A-40? Furthermore what sub-cable is recommended between apex and LX-83?

Furthermore, does any1 knows when the new Pioneer range will come out?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
In our demo room we use Chord Rumour, but most good quality cables will be sufficient. Some might use Chord Leyline if they're on a budget, or Chord Carnival Silver Screen if they don't mind the size of the cable. Again, with the sub cable, anything half decent, something like a Chord Crimson. If you meed something discreet, try the QED Minature.

The new receivers from entry level up to the VSX-LX55 will be June, and the SCLX receivers will be September.

A

Anonymous

Can I combine 4 satelite speakers apex 10, midspeaker apex 40 with my 5 year old but terrific REL quake subwoofer?

And all that in combination with also 5 year old but brilliant receiver of pioneer VSX-AX3 ?
tx for the advice

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered the Denon AVR-A100. Got it at a very good price. I sold off my Denon 3311 at almost cost price. Lets see how well the AVR-A100 does with the Apex. Will write back soon with my findings.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The Apex should sound superb with the Denon AVR-A100.
I have just partnered mine with an Arcam AVR 500 and they sound sublime for such a small speaker.
I have my Denon 3310 on ebay as we speak for a knock down price!!
You should notice a huge leap in music quality with the A100 by the way. Let us know how you get on.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Was suppose to be an owner of an Apex system by now. After a lot of back-and-forth over the last few months I've finally ordered my Apex 5.1 system containing of 4 x A10, 1 x A40 and 1 x AW12. Will submit an in-depth personal review later on.

I was hoping to get some feedback from current users of the above configuration as my one major concern about this set-up is the possibility of audible differences (if any) in practice when using A10's together with the A40 center in the front soundstage, since they are not identical. Yes, I'm fully aware they share the same drivers, but that is only half the story when creating ideally matched speakers. The volume and placement of the drivers is different compared to the A10's and this normally always mean there will enevitably be differences in the reproduction of audio. But how well is the interplay between these speakers? Are there clear differences and are they easilty noticed enough to distract?

Reason I ask is I'm one of those peeps extremely sensitive to sound passing from speaker to speaker and changing in timbre and tone. Up to this point I've used 5 identical satellite speakers but in my new set-up I could not use five A10's for practical reasons. Naturally I realise the A40 must be a somewhat "better" speaker overall than the smaller A10's, but during my audition prior to purchase I could not detect any "break-up" of uniformity when sound passed through the front trio. However, I never really trust demos in less than ideal listening conditions at the retailer as things like these are rather often detected at home.

Anyone care to share their own opinions on this? Grateful for any input of your personal experience.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi rickydegg,
I don't think you have anything to worry about in that respect. I cannot detect any difference in timbre etc when sound pans across the front 3 just as you couldn't in your demo.Yes the A40 is different but the Apex are so well engineered that this is not an issue.I have a very revealing system and only sit about 3.5 meters from the front 3 all at ear height.
Enjoy them because they are fab!
Ric

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you ric71.

Lovely to have the Arcam AVR 500. Wonderful piece! Appreciate your input. My listeningspot will be slightly closer to yours (2.8 meters) though cannot place them at the ideal earheight (45cm from the floor placed ontop the tv-cabinet). Before I switched to 5 identical satellites in my prevous set-up I use to have floorstanders with horizontal center of the same series (NHT, KEF and FOCAL) but always there was audible differences that easily distracted me.

Will be interesting to see if I have the same experience as you with Apex.

I'll let you know :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts