The Apex Club

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I tested them in audio shop where you can switch all to all speakers on the fly while listening to music or DvD. I have to admit that I only tested them with two DvD concert registrations of Joe Satriani and Eric Clapton as i am going to listen to a lot music through my new setup. In this the apex were much better then the MT-30. Even my wife noticed the big difference and I will quote her while switching to MT30 "this doesn't sound right". So much for going for the B&W. ;)

But my ears not your ears. Hear for your self before selling your current rig (I would not loose your sub btw).

Good luck!!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
In your situation, I would forget the CM8 and stick to the Apex, perhaps you could take your AV down to the dealer and set it up there for a demo. The CM* would benefit from a better AV. The Apex would be happier with your AV.

Give it a test with your AV if you can. Also cables will play a vial part in this, if you have cheap cables then the difference in sound will be negligeble.

Still test, test and test!

A

Anonymous

Okay, peeps

Soon to join the club, but have a question before I do, I'll make it simple: -

Apex sub or BK XLS200?

(BK is smaller which would fit better)

Thanks

A

Anonymous

There's no definitive answer on this, the AW12 is an excellent sub, and is designed to intergrate perfectly with the Apex. However, I went through the process and in my room, it was a little over powering, I went for the ASW610 and it works wonderfully. When correctly setup, most subs would work well with these little babies.

A

Anonymous

I have 3 x A40s, 2 x A10 and a BK XLS200. My room in feet is 14W x 16L x 11H and they're being driven by a Yamaha 2065. The sound is very complete, seemless between speakers, fast when delivering effects and changes in volume and very detailed (particularly noticeable at low volumes) for movies.

For music, with the amp in Pure Direct the front L & R and the sub work very well together, the 10 inch selaed BK unit is plenty fast enough to keep up and able to compliment the bass of the wall mounted A40s. For me also with 2 young children the space saved compared to the RX is a bonus.

I replaced BR5's with these and thought long and hard about buying the silver series and no doubt they'd have been great and there would have been benefits/differences, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Its also true that the Apex improve with useage, and "warm and open up a little".

I'm currently using a bit of a mish-mash of cable, but will be running good quality OFC (>79 strand) to them soon, about £1.20 metre just to have a standard in place.

HTH
JB

jb001e9634 said:
I have 3 x A40s, 2 x A10 and a BK XLS200. My room in feet is 14W x 16L x 11H and they're being driven by a Yamaha 2065. The sound is very complete, seemless between speakers, fast when delivering effects and changes in volume and very detailed (particularly noticeable at low volumes) for movies. For music, with the amp in Pure Direct the front L & R and the sub work very well together, the 10 inch selaed BK unit is plenty fast enough to keep up and able to compliment the bass of the wall mounted A40s. For me also with 2 young children the space saved compared to the RX is a bonus. I replaced BR5's with these and thought long and hard about buying the silver series and no doubt they'd have been great and there would have been benefits/differences, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Its also true that the Apex improve with useage, and "warm and open up a little". I'm currently using a bit of a mish-mash of cable, but will be running good quality OFC (>79 strand) to them soon, about £1.20 metre just to have a standard in place. HTH JB

Hi JB

Nice one :)

Yes, 79 strand OFC speaker cables will do the trick nicely :bigsmile: I also use standard/basic 79 - 500 strand OFC speaker cables with Apex spreakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Any speaker that is run-in will sound a lot better. So i would expect your apex speakers to sound better in time :) same goes for AV's they sound better in time. I wont open the debate on speaker wire burning in though!

A

Anonymous

Hi, guys, I am considering getting the Apex system.

Unfortunately I cannot demo myself. I live in Brazil.

My numer one priority in a speaker is whether it sounds "harsh and bright", which I hate.

How does the Apex sounds? 90% of the use will be movies and games.

I have a pair of KEF-Q300, and they are sounding a little bit too bright for my taste...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Which amplifier are you using Daniel? Whether a speaker sounds bright or not will partly be down to our own ears, partly down to the room they're being used in, partly down to their set up, and to a lesser extent, the AV receiver they're being used with.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As you already have the receiver, there's not really much you can do about that unless you're going to upgrade it any time soon. What you can do though, is after you've run an Audyssey auto set up, switch it in and out while watching something and see which you prefer - room EQ isn't always an outright winner. If you still feel things are a little edgy for you, have a play with the manual EQ settings and tweak it to what suits you.

Personally though, I find smoothing off treble kills detail.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Where have you had an offer for the Apex @ 2250 Euros as that is a fantastic price.

Thanks.

holywoodcowboy

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Good morning Club,

One more happy APEX owner requesting permission to join the club today!

After many months of exhaustive research, I have settled for APEX with Yamaha 3067 receiver, which I believe I got for a fantastic price.

Still have not got it set up yet, going out this morning to get sub lead etc.

I have read the forum and understand some folks have opted for a different sub other than RX/AW 12, as it is a bit of a monster base wise.

My room is basically 5m x 4.6m, do you think the RX12 which I got would be a bit too much for this small sized room? considering this is our sitting room, not a dedicated AV room?

Cheers,

cowboy

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It should do fine, but if you like cinema levels, I'd recommend a second sub at a later date (when your bank account recovers :) ). This will even out the bass response in the room, and give extra headroom for a cleaner bass reproduction.

A

Anonymous

holywoodcowboy said:
Good morning Club, One more happy APEX owner requesting permission to join the club today! After many months of exhaustive research, I have settled for APEX with Yamaha 3067 receiver, which I believe I got for a fantastic price. Still have not got it set up yet, going out this morning to get sub lead etc. I have read the forum and understand some folks have opted for a different sub other than RX/AW 12, as it is a bit of a monster base wise. My room is basically 5m x 4.6m, do you think the RX12 which I got would be a bit too much for this small sized room? considering this is our sitting room, not a dedicated AV room? Cheers, cowboy

I think your trying to ask if it's too large, I think David's going in the opposite direction, maybe I have read it wrong.

My room is roughly the same size 3.6 x 6.4 and it certainly does not over power the room, if it feels a little overpowering (YAPO is known for setting the bass a little high) just turn the level down on the AVR or the volume on the top of the sub.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Unless it's a stupidly big sub, it won't overpower a room. Whichever sub you choose should be calibrated to the same level by the auto set up (or yourself), so a bigger, more powerful sub will still be producing the same level for any given volume. The differences come with regards to depth, control, attack, and headroom. Bigger cabinets and bigger drivers produce deeper bass at the same level as a smaller sub - very low bass can become an issue in some rooms, but it can usually be tamed one way or another. More expensive subs will generally have a lot more power on tap, with a lot more headroom too, so any sudden happenings (like an explosion) will have more impact and force, again, compared to a smaller sub at the same volume level.

Subs should really be chosen on their ability to pressurise a given size room effortlessly, rather than on their looks, compactness, and nice finish. If a sub isn't man enough for a room, the depth charges in U571 will be more like wet farts.

Ok, an exaggeration, but you get the idea ;)

holywoodcowboy

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
So David, wet farts are not what we want then? I'll keep that in mind then :D

Anyway, system set up and sounds/looks great. Impressed with the APEX sound quality in music and movie. The Yamaha 3067 is a thing of beauty, and sounds great.

BUT!! The AW10 subwoofer has gone back and refunded. To be honest, although it is not too bad looks wise, and is pretty compact, it is just too large for my lounge. I have nowhere to put it, out of the way (also a 3 year old to contend with).

I am now looking at an alternative. B&W 610, Rel T5 or Paragigm SE, all three a smaller sized subs, less powerfull, but less intrusive for my lounge. If I can muster up enough cash (starve the wife and kid for a few months!) I might consider the Paradigm Seismic 110, a small but beastly subwoofer by all accounts, and in a strange way lovely to look at.

The fallout of this lovely new kit is SWMBO now wants the lounge painted, so she will get what she wants. It is the least I can do for her, 2.5 litres of paint and 4 hours of my time, as when she enquired about the cost of all the new flash kit, I found myself being slightly economical with the truth ;)

Any views from you guys on a good sub?

Cheers,

..cowboy

A

Anonymous

I've got the very same system with the AW12 which I've had now for about the last 2 months and I'm very very happy!

My lounge is almost identical to yours with wooden floors and the sub behind the sofa in the back corner of the room.

I'm no audiophile but I know what sounds good to my ears so thats good enough for me!
smiley-laughing.gif

A

Anonymous

Cowboy,

I purchased APEX speakers without sub, as already had B&W PV1. It's a combination that for me at least works really well.

It's definitely compact and dare I say it - good looking.

Had strict instructions from darling wife that she did not want 'ugly box' in living room. PV1 seems to meet with her approval, always a bonus (one day I'll even tell her what it cost)

holywoodcowboy

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Cheers Flyman and shanej66 for replys,

sorry for dely, been working.

I was probably premature in bringing the AX12 sub back, in truth I woke up with a bit of a hangover, and the misses was barking at me about the size of the sub and it being ash black, so it went back.

I have new spoken to the guys in the shop and I can get the AW12 in gloss black or pearl white(no grill to protect it!) or the AX12 sub in gloss black, gloss white.

Because of the great deal they gave me for buying the complete APEX and the Yamaha 3067 amp, I can get either of the MA 12" subs for just over 500 quid, its too good a deal to give up on, still need to convince the misses, or buy her somehting nice to bribe her! ;)

The B&W PV1 is a stunning looking piece of kit, but the fact it has no grill puts me off, as I have a 3 year old, who loves to kick football, and toys, and would see the PV1 as a lovely big toy football.

I have watched a few movies and played a few CD's, and I can say that this kit is absolutely fantastic, and well worth the purchase, and i'm sure I havent even got it set up properly yet!!!

Anyone on the fence about purchasing this system, I say just go for it, you'll love it.

Cheers,

..cowboy

holywoodcowboy said:
Cheers Flyman and shanej66 for replys, sorry for dely, been working. I was probably premature in bringing the AX12 sub back, in truth I woke up with a bit of a hangover, and the misses was barking at me about the size of the sub and it being ash black, so it went back. I have new spoken to the guys in the shop and I can get the AW12 in gloss black or pearl white(no grill to protect it!) or the AX12 sub in gloss black, gloss white. Because of the great deal they gave me for buying the complete APEX and the Yamaha 3067 amp, I can get either of the MA 12" subs for just over 500 quid, its too good a deal to give up on, still need to convince the misses, or buy her somehting nice to bribe her! ;) The B&W PV1 is a stunning looking piece of kit, but the fact it has no grill puts me off, as I have a 3 year old, who loves to kick football, and toys, and would see the PV1 as a lovely big toy football. I have watched a few movies and played a few CD's, and I can say that this kit is absolutely fantastic, and well worth the purchase, and i'm sure I havent even got it set up properly yet!!! Anyone on the fence about purchasing this system, I say just go for it, you'll love it. Cheers, ..cowboy

Hi holywoodcowboy

Go for the Apex AW12 sub as it looks stunning and sonically also compliments the A10's and A40's. A safe bet :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Im not convinced of the AW12 sub, i think the system would benefit from a better Sub. The PV1 is fantastic, I have that and i could not love it more. How about pairing it with the GS12 sub. Its safe for your little one too :)

holywoodcowboy

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Rick, yes the AW12 in black really sets off the rest of the speakers in the kit beautifully. And I'm sure sounds the same as the RXW12. But that open speaker with no grill? Hmmm . . .

holywoodcowboy

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Dueplex, the PV1 is stunning, and I have heard it In full swing, again excellent piece of kit, but practically twice the problems as with the AW12, as in two open speakers to contend with! The GS12, now that is a stunning monster, and has the grill covering the front, but to big In size for me unfortunately. I think practically its going to have to be the RXW12, and as the deal on the rest of the Monitor Audio kit, makes their sub such a bargain @ 500 quid. Cheers for info guys, appreciated, . . cowboy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts