The Apex Club

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ric71 said:
Ricky,

How are you finding the 7.2 set up?

Yep your system looks good. Will upload my pictures when i figure out how to!!!

Things are excellent, now that they are fully run-in! They play with such engrossing vitality I'm having a ball going through my film and music library (the best kind of sign, right?). However, I was suprisingly disappointed with how the Pioneer + Apex combo turned out (well, you probably read my post?). Also, when I move to my new apartment I cannot have the extra pair of surroundspeakers, so I'll have to move a set of A10's to the front and use them as 'height' channels instead. Just, I need a compatible receiver with that feature first, lol...

Hope your Arcam AVR500 is still putting a smile on your face?
smiley-smile.gif

To upload your images, simply click on the "green tree" icon while typing your post. You can browse from your computer or upload it to www.tinypic.com and just copy+paste the url-code in the appropriate field.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the posting pics advice will give it a go when not so busy.
Arcam fab and loving it now it has been replaced.
I ran front heights with my old Denon and thought it was great for movies.I now miss the front heights.It just gave a much bigger sound stage.
I don't think you will be dissapointed.
Any idea on receivers yet now that Pioneer are out of the running?
What about the Denon A-100? It sounds fantastic and you do love the Denon sound plus it has the XT 32.As you know gosalh swears by it.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ric71 said:
Thanks for the posting pics advice will give it a go when not so busy. Arcam fab and loving it now it has been replaced. I ran front heights with my old Denon and thought it was great for movies.I now miss the front heights.It just gave a much bigger sound stage. I don't think you will be dissapointed. Any idea on receivers yet now that Pioneer are out of the running? What about the Denon A-100? It sounds fantastic and you do love the Denon sound plus it has the XT 32.As you know gosalh swears by it.

He sure does, which is perfectly understandable. I've auditioned the A-100 once, in-store, it was brilliant indeed and would doubtlessly bring improvements. I just wanna scope the receiver-market a bit more :p

Hmm, have your Acram been replaced???

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes it was replaced last week as it was running too hot and the fans kept turning on.My new 500 runs much cooler.The 500 sounds so good with the Apex for both movies and music.The sound quality is fantastic.I hope I don't have any further issues. The upscaling is very impressive too.No bells and whistles just serious sound and picture performance.
You should demo the Anthem MRX 700.Fantastic room eq.If I didn't get the Arcam for for such a cheap price I would have gone for the Anthem!

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ric71 said:
Yes it was replaced last week as it was running too hot and the fans kept turning on.My new 500 runs much cooler.The 500 sounds so good with the Apex for both movies and music.The sound quality is fantastic.I hope I don't have any further issues. The upscaling is very impressive too.No bells and whistles just serious sound and picture performance. You should demo the Anthem MRX 700.Fantastic room eq.If I didn't get the Arcam for for such a cheap price I would have gone for the Anthem!

It's real funny you say that as I been keeping a keen eye on Anthem lately, and especially the MRX 700. I hope to get a chance to audition it at home at some point. Just hope it delivers far more than the Pioneer SC-LX83 did. Speaking of that, and receivers heating up - it real sad you had issues with yours. I've heard good things about Arcam, but that does suck. Luckily your new sample is fine so far. However, it was interesting for me to note that the SC-LX83 became just as hot as the Denon did after 3-4 hours of "normal" use with the Apex. I expected it to keep cool, after hearing what so many people claim, but no. The heat was ever over-the-top though. More effcient? Beats me!

I've seen plenty Monitor Audio publicity photos that house an Arcam amp/receiver so it's pretty obvious they pair well if the manufacturer use them. BTW, what (if any?) Blu-ray player do you use?

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
No blu ray at present.Will be getting Oppo 95 after Christmas,saving the £'s.I use system for multi channel music and movies through Sky HD.
Want to get everything else right before getting blu ray.Just investes in mains conditioning using Isol-8 cleanline and it has made a difference.
After Oppo 95 will squeeze in a second MJ sub.
The Anthem MRX 700 is simply incredible.The room eq is awsome.It will blow you away.Give the Arcam AVR 400 a try if you can.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ric71 said:
No blu ray at present.Will be getting Oppo 95 after Christmas,saving the £'s.I use system for multi channel music and movies through Sky HD. Want to get everything else right before getting blu ray.Just investes in mains conditioning using Isol-8 cleanline and it has made a difference. After Oppo 95 will squeeze in a second MJ sub. The Anthem MRX 700 is simply incredible.The room eq is awsome.It will blow you away.Give the Arcam AVR 400 a try if you can.

Then you are really in for a treat when you finally get to enjoy lossless codec from Blu-ray soundtracks! It's obvious Apex pulls out all the stops with high-res material, thats for sure!

michael hoy

RickyDeg said:
ric71 said:
However, it was interesting for me to note that the SC-LX83 became just as hot as the Denon did after 3-4 hours of "normal" use with the Apex. I expected it to keep cool, after hearing what so many people claim, but no. The heat was ever over-the-top though. More effcient? Beats me!

RickyDeg,

I am really finding it difficult to find any comparison between your experiences of the 83 compared to my 72, and even more now you state that the amp runs as hot as your Denon.

My 72 runs a lot cooler than my 1909 ever did and it is in the same cabinet.

I hope you find something that works for you soon
smiley-smile.gif

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
michael hoy said:
RickyDeg said:
ric71 said:
However, it was interesting for me to note that the SC-LX83 became just as hot as the Denon did after 3-4 hours of "normal" use with the Apex. I expected it to keep cool, after hearing what so many people claim, but no. The heat was ever over-the-top though. More effcient? Beats me!

RickyDeg,

I am really finding it difficult to find any comparison between your experiences of the 83 compared to my 72, and even more now you state that the amp runs as hot as your Denon.

smiley-smile.gif

Yes, it's almost as if my experience of testing the SC-LX83 was made in a paralell universe where everything good said about it was the opposite for me, lol. All kidding aside - it's true, there were many let-downs and negative suprises. Let's just say I sure did not expect any of them. Don't wanna come off as though I'm thoughtlessly slamming it, it's only when comparing directly to my Denon, since I expected the Pioneer to beat it.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
michael hoy said:
RickyDeg said:
ric71 said:

RickyDeg,

smiley-smile.gif

Yes, it's almost as if my experience of testing the SC-LX83 was made in a paralell universe where everything good said about it turned out to be the opposite for me, lol. All kidding aside - it's true, there were many let-downs and negative suprises. That's just me though. Let's say I sure did not expect any of them. Don't wanna come off as though I'm thoughtlessly slamming it, it's only when comparing directly to my Denon, since I expected the Pioneer to beat it on several stages. I gave it a fair run, and did all I could to tailor it.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
michael hoy said:
RickyDeg said:
ric71 said:

RickyDeg,

smiley-smile.gif

Yes, it's almost as if my experience of testing the SC-LX83 was made in a paralell universe where everything good said about it turned out to be the opposite for me, lol. All kidding aside - it's true, there were many let-downs and negative suprises. That's just me though. Let's say I sure did not expect any of them. Don't wanna come off as though I'm thoughtlessly slamming it, it's only when comparing directly to my Denon, since I expected the Pioneer to beat it in several areas. I gave it a fair run, and did all I could to tailor it.

A

Anonymous

Hi,
Does anyone use 3x A40's at the front? (FL, FR + C)
Am thinking about building an apex setup using this configuration.

theclam2008 said:
Hi, Does anyone use 3x A40's at the front? (FL, FR + C) Am thinking about building an apex setup using this configuration.

Hi theclam2008

Three A40's are certainly alot better then the already impressive configuration of two A10's/one A40. Go for it :) Even better with five or seven A40's J)

Btw, what amplifier will you be using?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Being a long time pioneer AX2 and MA RS 6 user, I've been looking at upgrading to the LX53 or 55.
Although I've heard better things about the apex running on yamaha or denon amps.
I really like pioneers MACCA though.
Will just have to demo I guess.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It is all personal preference. If people like detail, the Pioneers or Onkyos are ideal, if people like things a little warmer and softer, the Denon or Yamaha fit the bill. But we're all different, and no single solution suits all.

theclam2008 said:
Being a long time pioneer AX2 and MA RS 6 user, I've been looking at upgrading to the LX53 or 55. Although I've heard better things about the apex running on yamaha or denon amps. I really like pioneers MACCA though. Will just have to demo I guess.

Hi theclam2008

Fair enough and yes i've found amps such as those from Yamaha and Denon whose particular tonal qualities to form an excellent overall match with Apex sub/sats. Having said this the VSX-A2X is still a superb amp and i would recommend that you should carry on using it for a while yet as tonally it will suit the Apex speakers just nicely.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone ever seen or visited monitor audio's factory? I see B&W have put a video up on YouTube of their production facility. It looks pretty good.

A

Anonymous

I just came back from the hifi-shop. And 6 new MA friends are staring at me as I "speak". Can't wait to install them comming week. I will partner them with Pioneer LX-83. I lost the patience to wait out the lx-85 as that will still take several months before it comes out.

The sub is HEAVY!! :p

Erhm,.... I want in hehehehhe.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Magdat said:
I just came back from the hifi-shop. And 6 new MA friends are staring at me as I "speak". Can't wait to install them comming week. I will partner them with Pioneer LX-83. I lost the patience to wait out the lx-85 as that will still take several months before it comes out.

The sub is HEAVY!! :p

Erhm,.... I want in hehehehhe.

Schweeeeet!
smiley-laughing.gif
Congrats!

Can't wait to hear your (detailed) impressions. Just remember to be patient during their running-in time. To me the A10 and A40 sounded suprisingly good out-of-the box but the subwoofer AW-12 definitely needed serious mellowing. My system have now had about 6-700 hrs and they perform wonderfully in almost every aspect. Best compact speakersystem I've ever heard.

Let's just hope the Pioneer SC-LX83 will be more to your personal liking than during my own test recently - it was truly lacking to my ears compared to my current Denon (see post #287: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/the-apex-club?page=19#comment-2637253). Let us know how you get on and, have fun!!

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
People,

Wife out tonight so thought id sit back and listen to some music on the system. Decided to remove all speaker grills just to see and WOW what a difference.

It is like the system has just been elevated to the next level. The detail is incredible almost etheral.So delicate and light. I can hear evey nuance. Thought I was going mad so replaced the grills and the delicate fine nuances vanished, removed grills and back again. It sounds more airy and articulate.

I know grills can make a difference but i am gob smacked at the difference. Maybe its just me and my dodgy hearing.

Go on give it a go and let me know!!!!

Just got to convince the wife that they look better without the grills 0:)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ric71 said:
People,

Wife out tonight so thought id sit back and listen to some music on the system. Decided to remove all speaker grills just to see and WOW what a difference.

It is like the system has just been elevated to the next level. The detail is incredible almost etheral.So delicate and light. I can hear evey nuance. Thought I was going mad so replaced the grills and the delicate fine nuances vanished, removed grills and back again. It sounds more airy and articulate.

I know grills can make a difference but i am gob smacked at the difference. Maybe its just me and my dodgy hearing.

Go on give it a go and let me know!!!!

Just got to convince the wife that they look better without the grills 0:)

Glad you've discovered what pretty much is an unwritten rule in Hi-Fi....NO speakergrills
smiley-wink.gif

The very first thing I do when unpacking and installing new speakers - ignore the grills!

A

Anonymous

duaplex said:
Brilliant stuff, do enjoy :) I have the same AV as you so will be interesting to hear your feedback on it :)
I will keep you posted. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts