The 1080p streaming stutter.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

replace the word codec with format then.

The fact remains most media players stutter playing bd-iso over network, but u can get round it by playing them over a usb hd/stick.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Replace the word format with "disc image" and you maybe getting closer to the correct teminology.

My entire library of blu rays and DVDs are stored on a NAS and watched over a wired network.I never view the media from the original disc. I never store it on a local hard drive or USB stick. I can watch different films in different rooms at the sametime with no stuttering. Sure wireless and homeplugs can be a problem but a wired network of 100mps is absolutely fine. Get a gigabit network and you don't have to worry if someone else in the house is using the bandwidth.

I don't know where you are getting this stuff about most media players stuttering on wired networks. I view a lot of the user forums for these devices and people are not complaining about use over a wired network.

A

Anonymous

edsib1:
replace the word codec with format then.

The fact remains most media players stutter playing bd-iso over network, but u can get round it by playing them over a usb hd/stick.

If this is the case then why bother calling it a streamer if you need a USB stick?

I was just asking and reading some forums and some have said they have seen stutter.

I should get my CAT5E on wednesday, I will let you know if the files stutter once and for all.

Thanks guys

A

Anonymous

@cram so what streamer do u use then?

if u have found one that doesnt stutter playing any bd-iso or bd-folder over a network then I would want to get one.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
at the moment I'm using two HTPCs nothing special specification wise. Have also used in the past a Mac Pro, Mac Mini, Popcorn Hour all with the same results.

A

Anonymous

Hey

If I have a movie/ homemovie that stutters over a ethernet
direct connect, is there a way of finding out how much its outputting
if that makes sence.

So lets say a 11gb file with DTS audio I want to know what its bitstreaming.

As heard over a certain bitrate things will start to stutter.

I just want to know for sure what the bit rate is, and translate that into real terms of what the Playon HD can handle.

I know it can handle max 10/100 but I dont think it will get anywere near 100.

Also what file size is a blu-ray back up? It must be big with very high bitrates.

Thanks

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Arcsoft Total Media Theatre will give you the bit rate. There are probably other programs out there that will give you the figure. The bitrate is not a constant it various throughout the film. A full backup of a bluray inc extra features can run anywhere between 30 - 46gb. Typical bit rates that I have seen on a bluray are between 20 - 30mps. DVDs are usually in the region of 5 - 7mps. Though you may well see peaks above this. The file you mentioned earlier is clearly too big to be a straight DVD rip and too small to be a straight bluray rip. I'm guessing it is something where someone has extracted the main movie from a bluray along with the DTS core. Possibly they've reduced the bit rate as well. As I said I'm getting no stuttering on my setup (though I have a gigabit network) and this is the only way I watch movies.

A

Anonymous

Just downloaded that acrsoft, its quite good, but would not pay for it, just using the trial.

So from reading other things, they say a standard ethernet can run at 100mb but take off 4% overhead that leaves 96mb, so really a solid 96mb should play with ease with no stuttering at all, if it does stutter then its the Ac Ryan.

Just put a demanding movie on 11gb 1080p dts MKV ,and the Arcsoft said it was peaking at 28mbps on some scenes.

And from reading this site no wonder the homeplugs stutter:
http://www.pixelbeat.org/speeds.html

A

Anonymous

ah so ur using a pc. So we're not talking about the same thing.

My PC doesnt stutter either.

A

Anonymous

edsib1:

Yes using a PC as the media storage and getting it to the Playon HD downstairs.

My PC never stutters, its got a 8600gt card and quad core.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
edsib1:

It's still streaming.... I've also mentioned using a popcorn hour as well

A

Anonymous

No I mean cram is using a pc (HTPC) as his media player. His movies are coming over the network from a NAS but he's got the whole power of a pc and a full gigabit connection to play the files.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
What's the power of the PC got to do with this? We're talking about streaming. The PlayonHD doesn't get more powerful when a USB stick is plugged into it. The important thing here is bandwidth of the network connection. Yes my network is now gigabit but I've successfully played back ISOs of blurays over a 100Mbs link

A

Anonymous

Ur missing the point - these standalone players dont have gigabit ethernet.

My
HDX BD1 used to stutter playing bd-iso because it only had 100Mb
ethernet working, even though it had a 1Gb ready ethernet. A recent
firmware update improved the ethernet to run in 1Gb in beta mode, and
the stuttering went away.

Like I said the only other media player I know that has this 1Gb ethernet working is the popcorn hour.

Name another media streamer that can play bd-iso without stuttering.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm not missing the point at all. I said the important part was bandwidth, I've been consistent about that throughout the whole thread. I've also told you that I've played back blurays on a 100mps network. The device the Op has supports that speed connection.

A

Anonymous

ok let me put it to you this way.

Playing the files over 100Mb on a pc does not seem to be the same as trying to playing them on a standalone with 100Mb. For whatever reason, chipset limitations, driver problems, whatever -

A

Anonymous

WOW

Fast service ordered the ethernet on saturday afternoon on fleabay and it arrived this morning.

So going to hook it up and just fly upstairs with it, and see if it stutters, if not will tack it all up, if it stutters, only lost 7.50

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
This is an interesting thread for me. I was going to start a similar one as I have problems streaming 1080p over wifi....

I have an iOmega 1TB Network Hard drive, hard-wired via ethernet cable to a Thomson O2 "Wireless Box II" which streams via wifi to my Sony S570 BD player. 720p files play absolutely fine, but 1080p ones stutter.

Would getting a N router solve this (my O2 one is B/G only)? Or is it the limitations of the S570, or the Hard Drive, or both?

A

Anonymous

Well the verdict some have you been waiting for.

WHY HAVE I NOT DONE THIS BEFORE ?
emotion-3.gif

I just put a back up of lord of the rings blu-ray and as some of you know, its very demanding in some scenes, fastforward and rewind works great, no stutter no lag no nothing, plays like an actual Blu-ray.

Tacked the ethernet along the floor boards, and I cant even notice it. For 7.50. forget they homeplugs, they are good for internet but thats it.

1080P stuff no longer a problem,

Anyone wanna buy some homeplugs? LOL

Oh also gained 1meg on my internet as well.

I am one happy guy

A

Anonymous

cram:

Wow it worked over a network - who'd have thought it eh?

Pleased for you

I never doubted you for a second cram..
emotion-5.gif

Thanks for the help

I swear the picture quality got a lot better as well, not sure if this is possible, but it seems as princess and the frog looks a lot more crisp, colors now come to life, who knows

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
canada16:

Thanks for the help

I swear the picture quality got a lot better as well, not sure if this is possible, but it seems as princess and the frog looks a lot more crisp, colors now come to life, who knows

Oh No!! Quick Canada put your air raid helmet on, I can hear that old can of worms opening up again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts