The 1080p streaming stutter.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey

Fianlly got my AC Ryan/Playon HD all up and running yesterday, and tried out movies that were 1080p dts, but they stutter like mad, just like the PS3 did.

I am using 85mp homeplugs, with a normal sky+ router but I have a 13mb interet connection which is quite fast compaired to uk standards.

Are the homeplugs the problem, or the basic wrieless g router. or both.

do I need to upgrade to 200mb homeplugs and a better router?

Whats your thoughts.

I cant run a ethernet from downstairs to upstairs as this is not possible.

Thanks guys and gals

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
canada16:
Hey

Fianlly got my AC Ryan/Playon HD all up and running yesterday, and tried out movies that were 1080p dts, but they stutter like mad, just like the PS3 did.

I am using 85mp homeplugs, with a normal sky+ router but I have a 13mb interet connection which is quite fast compaired to uk standards.

Are the homeplugs the problem, or the basic wrieless g router. or both.

do I need to upgrade to 200mb homeplugs and a better router?

Whats your thoughts.

I cant run a ethernet from downstairs to upstairs as this is not possible.

Thanks guys and gals

Both. 85mbps isn't really what you get. Same with your router. You are not allowed to use anything but the Netgear router that Sky give you. There is a workaround though - google at your peril. I use a Linksys N router with 200mbps home plugs. However, I also use the Popcorn Hour and have my films on an external drive connected to it. Streaming works fine but I don't need it.

A

Anonymous

I have an external HDD but whats the point of having to update it all the time bring it upstairs add files and bring it back downstairs. material, kinda defeats the point of a streamer or popcorn hour dont you think?, if you can just use your tv or other things for this.

So been reading, sky say they have the right to kick you off the network if you use other routers, but with all the HD stuff being brodcast, why are they not allowing people to have other routers, or not providing people with N routers, or those who need it.

Silly if you ask me.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
canada16:
I have an external HDD but whats the point of having to update it all the time bring it upstairs add files and bring it back downstairs. material, kinda defeats the point of a streamer or popcorn hour dont you think?, if you can just use your tv or other things for this.

So been reading, sky say they have the right to kick you off the network if you use other routers, but with all the HD stuff being brodcast, why are they not allowing people to have other routers, or not providing people with N routers, or those who need it.

Silly if you ask me.

I use my homeplugs and router to transfer files from PC to external drive, so I never have to take it upstairs.

A

Anonymous

I thought as much, how long does it take you to get a large file to the hard drive? say 10gb

I might try homeplugs as well, from what I read the router really has nothing to do with it, its the connection from the pc upstairs to down.

So either way the external hdd or homeplug might be the way to go.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
canada16:
I thought as much, how long does it take you to get a large file to the hard drive? say 10gb

I might try homeplugs as well, from what I read the router really has nothing to do with it, its the connection from the pc upstairs to down.

So either way the external hdd or homeplug might be the way to go.

To transfer a 10gb file about 40 minutes, maybe half an hour.

A

Anonymous

Wow thats a while.

I might try the homeplugs first.

Thanks.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Homeplugs are really dependent on the wiring in your house. In my house I can access and play DVD perfectly over a homeplug 200 connection, blurays stutter. If you can borrow some from a friend at all to try out before buying that would be a good idea.

A

Anonymous

So even with 200mbs blu-rays still stutter?

I think the only way to get a blu-ray to play and not take 40 min to transfer and stutter is to buy a 32gb stick for 32.00 on amazon.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
For me yes they do stutter (on a full bluray, no down conversion). Depending on your wiring you may be ok. Thing is you won't know until you try it out.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
canada16:
So even with 200mbs blu-rays still stutter?

I think the only way to get a blu-ray to play and not take 40 min to transfer and stutter is to buy a 32gb stick for 32.00 on amazon.

What size files are you streaming?

A 32Gb sticks no good as they ONLY run on FAT 32 which has file size limits of 4gb (So the only way it would work would be to split it up into chunks)

If its a full size bluray, most connections would struggle with that file size

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
canada16:
Wow thats a while.

I might try the homeplugs first.

Thanks.

All you need to do is burn your films, transfer before you go to bed and in the morning they will all be on your hard drive. Hardly an issue? And absolutely no stuttering. My PCH plays any film perfectly.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
aliEnRIK:If its a full size bluray, most connections would struggle with that file size

unless you're running a wired network. I've streamed blurays to both of my HTPC setups concurrently without an issue.

A

Anonymous

I have been looking and some have said that they have not been able to stream 720p and 1080p stuff and they bought a 1gb homeplugs,and they said it works a dream, but others have said no it doesnt.

I think the only way then is to try the 1gb homeplugs or run a 40m ethernet from downstairs to up, but I really dont want to do that.

the file I am trying to stream is a 1080p DTS 11GB file.

Thanks guys

Woodruffe

Feb 6, 2008
Visit site
I use these

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/10823739/Belkin-F5D4076UK-Powerline-HD-1Gbps-Gigabit-Homeplug-Network-Kit/Product.html

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/10823...bps-Gigabit-Homeplug-Network-Kit/Product.htmlIf you hunt around they may be cheaper - I got them for less at PC World of all places - think it was a mis-price but I didn't complain. They were a bit niggly at first streaming to the XBox but the new dahsboard update and their new firmware seemed to have sorted out any problems but there are some concerns still out there in forum land if you take a look. Obviously your wiring will have an issue but if you go Gigabit you need to make sure your patch cables are at least Cat5e and any switches, routers and network cards are capable of that speed or you will just bottleneck somewhere. As HD goes I've only played around with the sample trailer for Alexander from the M$ website but at 1080p it was faultless streaming.

Hope this helps,

Ben.

A

Anonymous

Made my mind up.

I am going to run 40m cat5e up the stairs, that will sort it for sure and its only 10.00.

Job done... ?

Woodruffe

Feb 6, 2008
Visit site
Only guaranteed way to get the best connection - if you can do it I'd go for it. I would have but the boss muttered something about aesthetics and how it looked which sort of made my mind up

Ben

A

Anonymous

OK

So cat 5e is 7.00 and cat6 is about 9.00.

If I am buying the cat6 would it not be best as well to buy a gigabite port switch?

Thanks

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
cram:
aliEnRIK:If its a full size bluray, most connections would struggle with that file size

unless you're running a wired network. I've streamed blurays to both of my HTPC setups concurrently without an issue.

Ive always taken 'streaming' as wireless or homeplugs. My bad

A

Anonymous

2 points for this topic.

- USB sticks are just storage
media and can be formatted to anything u like (ext2,ext3,exFAT etc) not
just FAT32.

- The PlayonHD (like practically every other
mediaplayer) has 10/100Mbit Ethernet. This means that playing 1080p
blu-ray quality files is going to be touch and go due to the network
overhead. Some titles will work, but some may stutter. There are a
couple of media players based on the sigma chipset that partially
support 1Gbit (Popcorn hour and HDX BD1) - but even then it is a beta
driver and only certain routers/switches are compatible with it.

The
only real solution is to have the titles that stutter over network stored locally on
an internal or USB drive.

A

Anonymous

Surely a 10gb 1080 dts file should not stutter at 100mbit over ethernet?

Am I wrong, or whats the point of media streamers that claim to be HD, but cant play HD files over ethernet?

Also, and I could be being dumb here, as dont know to much about bit rates. ect.

How can my external HDD play 1080p files but ethernet might have a hard time? Do the HDD's transfer the data faster?

A

Anonymous

Blu-ray transfer rate is up to 54Mbs with 48Mbs or vidoe and audio.

USB 2.0 is up to 480Mbs and the new USB 3.0 is 4800Mbs.

A decent hard drive can transfer data > 800Mbs

Typical figures for wireless N routers are in the region 40-60 Mbs

As well as network overhead u have in-efficiences in drivers, Samba, and so on.

Some codecs are less efficient than others - for example streaming a BD-ISO is particularly bandwidth heavy - whereas just streaming the m2TS file is much lighter.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
edsib1:

Blu-ray transfer rate is up to 54Mbs with 48Mbs or vidoe and audio.

USB 2.0 is up to 480Mbs and the new USB 3.0 is 4800Mbs.

A decent hard drive can transfer data > 800Mbs

Typical figures for wireless N routers are in the region 40-60 Mbs

As well as network overhead u have in-efficiences in drivers, and so on.

Some codecs are less efficient than others - for example streaming a BD-ISO is particularly bandwidth heavy - whereas just streaming the m2TS file is much lighter.

Real world you never see bluray films requiring a sustained rate of 54Mbs, It's usually less than half that rate with the odd peak above 30. Why are you talking about codecs in conjunction with ISOs? They have nothing to do with each other. The ISO will contain m2ts files and the same codecs will be used for playback. You have some overhead with extracting from the ISO but that is nothing to do with codecs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts