That dreaded phone call ....

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
I received that dreaded phone call today, you know the one - it's from the wife who bashfully asks how your day is going and instantly you pick up that something's not quite right .....

.... We have a new cleaner, who is under clear instructions not to clean the front room ( as this is where my hi fi is set up) - but she thought she'd give the room a quick vacuum as she was ahead of schedule.

Anyway, she ended up clipping the vacuum against an accounting panel, which is propt against the wall, which in turn fell and knocked my speaker over .... The speaker seems to be ok but my speaker stand is shattered - it's the Atacama aurora 6 - the one made out of glass. Also the speaker terminal has broken off in the binding post.

I'm on my way home to inspect the damage.

I don't blame her as **** happens ... The trouble is I now need a new pair of speaker stands that will bring out the best of the kef's but also look good. The aurora's are discontinued.

Any recommendations?

Feel free to share any similar disaster hi fi stories ....

D

Deleted member 160668

not good! I’m sure you put the phone down then many swears were uttered.

Hope it’s not too bad.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Kubs said:
I received that dreaded phone call today, you know the one - it's from the wife who bashfully asks how your day is going and instantly you pick up that something's not quite right .....

.... We have a new cleaner, who is under clear instructions not to clean the front room ( as this is where my hi fi is set up) - but she thought she'd give the room a quick vacuum as she was ahead of schedule.

Anyway, she ended up clipping the vacuum against an accounting panel, which is propt against the wall, which in turn fell and knocked my speaker over .... The speaker seems to be ok but my speaker stand is shattered - it's the Atacama aurora 6 - the one made out of glass. Also the speaker terminal has broken off in the binding post.

I don't blame her as **** happens ... The trouble is I now need a new pair of speaker stands that will bring out the best of the kef's but also look good. The aurora's are discontinued.

Any recommendations?

My wife ruined a brand new pair of B&W floor standing speakers in the past she slipped the last 3 steps of our old houses stairs and fell into my brand new speakers that I only had for 2 days .

the speaker had spikes on and when she fell it ripped the spikes right out of the base and took a load of vernier and wood from the speaker it was totally ruined the speaker .

I had to claim on the house insurance to get new ones but ended up buying Monitor audio golds instead but my wife couldn’t understand why I didn’t come to hear aid first as I made a A line to my speakers first and yes I know I should of gone to her first but she was wearing theses stupid pig slippers and I had told her they will make you slip on the stairs but she wouldn’t have it so I was cross that my speaker was ruined more then anything .

anyway we both smile about it now but at the time I was so gutted

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
The speaker is ok in terms of sound however there is a nail size dent on the side ... Must have hit the hi fi rack on the way down ....

Ah well - I take a glass half full view of life ... I see this as an excuse to upgrade my speakers :)

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Kubs said:

Any recommendations?

My wife ruined a brand new pair of B&W floor standing speakers in the past she slipped the last 3 steps of our old houses stairs and fell into my brand new speakers that I only had for 2 days  .

the speaker had spikes on and when she fell it ripped the spikes right out of the base and took a load of vernier and wood from the speaker it was totally ruined the speaker .

I had to claim on the house insurance to get new ones but ended up buying Monitor audio golds instead but my wife couldn’t understand why I didn’t come to hear aid first as I made a A line to my speakers first and yes I know I should of gone to her first but she was wearing theses stupid pig slippers and I had told her they will make you slip on the stairs but she wouldn’t have it so I was cross that my speaker was ruined more then anything .

anyway we both smile about it now but at the time I was so gutted 
That's unfortunate - nice that you can laugh about it.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Kubs said:
davidf said:
Another recommendation for Chstom Designs.
Cool - just realised you made the same recommendation as cno .... They look very industrial ... Probably because it's not what I'm used to looking at ....

Custom Design. They have several different designs, not all industrial looking. I would also be considering those if I was buying.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kubs said:
davidf said:
Cool - just realised you made the same recommendation as cno .... They look very industrial ... Probably because it's not what I'm used to looking at ....
it's this model I'm talking about: https://www.whathifi.com/custom-design/fs104-signature/review

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Kubs said:
davidf said:

Sorry about your accident
Shame the cleaner was trying a good deed and I bet she feels crap what happened.
Your reaction is top class.
As far as the custom design looking industrial
Just look up.partington broadsides images

That will make the custom design more room friendly again.

I would 'dock' her wages to the tune of new stands...

My stands are allegedly PMC but I've never compared them to any other brands. Can't help in that respect.

Little story: Good few years ago when my daughter was weeney, I home dem'd Totem Arros speakers. Anyway, she was whizzing around the living room and tripped. She clonked into one speaker which, luckily, was close to the rack. My heart skipped a beat for a second, but no damage to the said speaker. Wouldn't know how to explain to the retailer if there was damage.

I've always said kids and animals don't mix with hi-fi. I can now add to the list cleaners.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Kubs said:
davidf said:

Sorry about your accident
Shame the cleaner was trying a good deed and I bet she feels crap what happened.
Your reaction is top class.
As far as the custom design looking industrial
Just look up.partington broadsides images

That will make the custom design more room friendly again.
Thanks.
Had a browse through the custom design site .... The 104 come in white which look great imo ....

jjbomber

Tonestar1 said:
Seriously?

You would dock the cleaners wages for a well intentioned endeavour that went a bit wrong? Jeezo, I'm glad you're not my employer! Things have moved on a bit since dickens.

No, it wasn't serious at all. It's probably illegal as it would take her under minimum wage anyway.

Tonestar1

jjbomber said:
Tonestar1 said:
Seriously?

You would dock the cleaners wages for a well intentioned endeavour that went a bit wrong? Jeezo, I'm glad you're not my employer! Things have moved on a bit since dickens.

No, it wasn't serious at all. It's probably illegal as it would take her under minimum wage anyway.

I must have missed the jokey faces or the sarcastic ones...

Sorry to hear that Kubs
I would 'dock' her wages to the tune of new stands...

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Kubs said:

Any recommendations?

Your reaction does you great credit cubs, not sure how I would have reacted myself... I'm sure she was mortified when it happened.

The only thing similar that happened in this household was when Mrs Mac got a bit too involved playing Tennis on the Wii and hit the TV screen with the controller, not even that hard but that was that and screen died.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts