That dreaded phone call ....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
Have you considered sourcing a clear tube from somewhere, I'm sure the internet would find a replacement, or at least a good approximation to the destroyed part?

Before I retired I worked as a Scientist in pharmaceuticals and we used to get bespoke glassware made for us fairly regularly. The company we used was Hamilton Labpratory Glass. They would often made one off items for us. They were often not as expensive as you may think.

Here is a link, it may be worth a phone call, they are really helpful.

http://hamiltonlabglass.com/

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
Have you considered sourcing a clear tube from somewhere, I'm sure the internet would find a replacement, or at least a good approximation to the destroyed part? 

I hadn't considered that, no ... Sounds like too much effort - thank you for the suggestion.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
AntAxon said:
Diamond Joe said:

Before I retired I worked as a Scientist in pharmaceuticals and we used to get bespoke glassware made for us fairly regularly. The company we used was Hamilton Labpratory Glass. They would often made one off items for us. They were often not as expensive as you may think.

Here is a link, it may be worth a phone call, they are really helpful. 

http://hamiltonlabglass.com/

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll use this opportunity to treat myself to a new pair of speakers.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Kubs said:
Diamond Joe said:

I hadn't considered that, no ... Sounds like too much effort - thank you for the suggestion.
That’s a shame but I appreciate DIY isn't everyone's cup of tea. I'm not a big fan of stands (partly why I went down the floorstanders route) but those Atacama's look really good, I've got a vague recollection that I started a thread many years ago asking what people would fill them with, it didn't get many responses! Good luck with your search.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Kubs said:
.... We have a new cleaner, who is under clear instructions not to clean the front room ( as this is where my hi fi is set up) - but she thought she'd give the room a quick vacuum as she was ahead of schedule.

Not only did she clean the front room but also did damage. **** happens as they say.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
ellisdj said:
the white Kent and foundry Ref 5 will look really nice in that room
Ahh don't ellis .... That's all I've been thinking about since you said that .... The ref 3 might be bettered suited to the dimensions of the room :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
We used to 'love' such phonecalls.

Plenty of similar mishaps, particularly whe dusting turntable/arm/cartridge combos.

One of the best (and most unusual) that I can remember was from a customer and good friend.

He phoned one morning to say that he had been out clubbing the previous night and, getting home around 4;00 in the morning, still very much 'up for it', he had to try a bit of 'scratching'!

Naturally he wiped out the cantilever in seconds!

It was a Kiseki Purple Heard Saphire, even doing him the best deal we could, the bill was still £800.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts