Tempted by Leema Xeros until...

.... i read this, an extract from another review:

"If you just must have ultra-compact speakers, the Xero is a fine choice particularly over short listening distances. It doesn’t do prodigious bass, of course, but it is musically insightful on a wide range of material. Don’t skimp on stands if you want to hear the best from it."

Seems to eerily mirror What Hi-fi's findings, when matched with Pulse.

Surely they can't be brighter than my MAs, can they?

MikeToll

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
To me that description means that it is a small speaker that has a lot of detail but is a bit lacking in bass so best used in small rooms. Perhaps good for positioning near to a rear wall which would again be useful in a small room.

The Pulse was criticised in it's WHFI review for slightly lacking bass though I love mine as you do yours so maybe the Xero is not as bad as the review might suggest? As you well know you would have to listen for yourself particularly a home demo. (Forgive me for saying that as you know far more than I do :D)

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
They are more definitely not bright, the treble is very sweet IMO. They don't have much bass, that is all. I love mine, but they have been relegated to kitchen duties by the SA1's which overall I prefer.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I've always been a fan of minimonitor style bookshelves like the Leemas and Dynaudios. They usually have speed and agility of full range drivers that most floorstanders can't hope to match. They do lack in bass but in small rooms listening in close proximity to the speakers I don't think most will notice. The lack of bass can also be overcome with subwoofers. In the end we all have to sacrifice some things in hifi to gain others, its just a matter of recognising whats more important to the listener.

I agree shafesk - love the DB1is whenever I've blagged a pair, certainly have many advantages, especially in small to medium rooms. Two things that put me off standmounters: Firstly, it does lack a scintilla of bass, most noteably when playing films, which is understanadable. Second, is I can't get my head around dedicated stands: Most look awful.

There is another reason but it's aimed at the tonal qualities. Most people say the domed tweeter on the RS6s is too shrill. Well when I've had the DBs and Totem Arros and tonally there's little difference. Now whether that's my hearing or room acoustics or both, not sure. Given the Pulse is meant to be bright this combo should have dogs howling... not the case.

That said, I have heard (once) the RS6s sound nasty, but this was at a dealers... connected to a Moon amp, never the Pulse.

The older I get, the more confused I am when it comes to reviews. :?

TRENDING THREADS