Tellurium Q black..Any thoughts?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
antskip said:
For a few days I had a terrible time with my Tellurium Q Blacks, as they at first sounded just terrible - like having a metallic sheen over everything. But suddenly a few days later (leaving the amp on 24/7 helped!), the clouds lifted and I heard the beautiful silky pure sound they are famous for (I didn't change a thing). But as my KEF LS50's are so bright and my amp and cd player a bit agricultural, I am upgrading to the Q Greens which I have been told are a little more forgiving than the Blacks - but with even more musical ability. I am also adding Black interconnect RCA audio cables. Tellurium support has been very helpful.

These cables really do need time to become themselves / "disappear" and "revealing". I am surprised when people report an immediate miracle with the Q's. It wasn't so with me. When my Greens arrive I am going to be more patient this time - I have heard they take even longer than the Blacks to behave (smile)!

Given my budget restraints and present and future hardware (probably the Rega Brio-R and Apollo-R combo), going higher up the Tellurium quality/cost hierarchy than the Greens is not in my plans at all, but those with very expensive systems IMHO should seriously consider the Ultra-Black and beyond.
Antskip - how are the Greens?

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
BronC said:
Antskip - how are the Greens?

The Greens are everything Tellurium said they would be - the amazing sound of the Blacks plus a much more forgiving nature. Right out of the box, even on my old hardware, the Greens gave a glorious musically satisfying sound. Nothing I throw at them they don't enjoy. They also enjoyed both my old hardware and my new. I find that they are not only much more tolerant than the Blacks, but have added depth. However, I grew to love the Blacks, despite their dislike of poor hardware and recordings. I occasionally swapped them out to compare to standard cables, and quickly returned to the Blacks. The Greens replaced the Blacks, and remained ever since. I have no doubt if I were to have the next level up of hardware, I would be looking to the Ultra-Blacks...As things are, I think the Greens are a very good match.

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
How do you find the TQ Black interconnects? Currently have the Chord Anthem 2 and wondering if it is worth changing them to match my TQ Black Speaker cable.

Have you tried the links also? Again have the Chord Signiture links and pretty sure it isn't worth changing except I like stuff to match.

iceman16

lesmallett said:
How do you find the TQ Black interconnects? Currently have the Chord Anthem 2 and wondering if it is worth changing them to match my TQ Black Speaker cable.

Have you tried the links also? Again have the Chord Signiture links and pretty sure it isn't worth changing except I like stuff to match.
I used to have them both. The TQ black is a bit more refined and less edgy compare to Chord Anthem2 IMO.:)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
The Q black in first sound metalic but they aren't , they completely natural and neutral and present the music as it sould be without any artificial coloration . you have to get use to it .

If these cables are 'completely natural and neutral' and 'present the music without any artificial colouration', why would anyone ever need to buy a more expensive cable?

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
For their price this is a real bargain for mid price hi fi systen if you have more serious hi fi / hi end system go for more expensive cables sure

the results will be better . I am talking about value for money I didn't said that the Q balck are the best cabels around !

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
If these cables are 'completely natural and neutral' and 'present the music without any artificial colouration', why would anyone ever need to buy a more expensive cable?

If only I'd known that before I bought my Ultra Black :doh: ;)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
For their price this is a real bargain for mid price hi fi systen if you have more serious hi fi / hi end system go for more expensive cables sure

the results will be better . I am talking about value for money I didn't said that the Q balck are the best cabels around !

I'm confused, you said they were completely natural and neutral and have no colouration, but now you say they can be improved upon. What in fact then are their deficiencies?

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
The telluriam q black are even better than at first I thought even off axis they produce a good image tonight I turned everything on before doing our weekly food shop at about 6 oclock and started listening at 10 oclock and the difference is quited marked everything seems cleaner sharper the bass is more punchy vocals are better defined and this is at low volume . from what Ive read on this forum the greens are even better I would like to try some but our local hifi shop Martins do not stock em so no can do :)

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I just receive my PROAC STUDIO 140 MK2 today and it sounds amazing with the Tellurium Q Black , this cabels bring excellent results without throwing away ridiculous amount of money on expensive cabels .

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
ISAC69 said:

I'm confused, you said they were completely natural and neutral and have no colouration, but now you say they can be improved upon. What in fact then are their deficiencies?

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
toyota man said:
from what Ive read on this forum the greens are even better I would like to try some but our local hifi shop :)

If your system gets along well with the TQ Black you may not so much be the target audience for the Green, which - like the Blue - is forgiving for systems that need forgiving. I have the feeling your system is in the Black-Ultra arena, where the slightly softening aspect of the Blue-Green is not so important. I perceive, rightly or wrongly, that my Rega Brio-R-Apollo-R system is in the Blue-Green arena - but if I had I had a Cyrus 8A and equivalent CD player, I would be in Black-Ultra.

As far as i understand it, the TQ range is akin to Intel's microprocessor “tick” and "tock" stages - (roughly) the "tick" a stage of technology, the "tock" a stage of microarchitecture. In the TQ world, the Black has the technology of the Blue but a stage further in audio "microarchitecture" - a "tock". The Green incorporates the "microarchitecture" of the Black but in a new technology - a "tick". The Ultras have the technology of the Green plus a new "microarchitecture" - another "tock".

TQ do not disclose materials or structure, but I think of the Blue and Green as being "copper" sounding, and the Black and Ultra a "silver' sound, if "copper" is dark and tolerant; "silver" as bright and intolerant. In looks the Blue and Black are "thin", the Green and Ultra are "thick". So the Blue is "copper" and thin, the Black silver and thin, the Green copper and thick, the Ultra silver and thick.......(no relationship to real materials!) In practice I am just suggesting one's system may most suited to a "tick" (Blue and Green), or a "tock" (Black and Ultra) - it is not just a problem of price...

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
antskip said:
toyota man said:
from what Ive read on this forum the greens are even better I would like to try some but our local hifi shop :)

If your system gets along well with the TQ Black you may not so much be the target audience for the Green, which - like the Blue - is forgiving for systems that need forgiving. I have the feeling your system is in the Black-Ultra arena, where the slightly softening aspect of the Blue-Green is not so important. I perceive, rightly or wrongly, that my Rega Brio-R-Apollo-R system is in the Blue-Green arena - but if I had I had a Cyrus 8A and equivalent CD player, I would be in Black-Ultra.

As far as i understand it, the TQ range is akin to Intel's microprocessor “tick” and "tock" stages - (roughly) the "tick" a stage of technology, the "tock" a stage of microarchitecture. In the TQ world, the Black has the technology of the Blue but a stage further in audio "microarchitecture" - a "tock". The Green incorporates the "microarchitecture" of the Black but in a new technology - a "tick". The Ultras have the technology of the Green plus a new "microarchitecture" - another "tock".

TQ do not disclose materials or structure, but I think of the Blue and Green as being "copper" sounding, and the Black and Ultra a "silver' sound, if "copper" is dark and tolerant; "silver" as bright and intolerant. In looks the Blue and Black are "thin", the Green and Ultra are "thick". So the Blue is "copper" and thin, the Black silver and thin, the Green copper and thick, the Ultra silver and thick.......(no relationship to real materials!) In practice I am just suggesting one's system may most suited to a "tick" (Blue and Green), or a "tock" (Black and Ultra) - it is not just a problem of price...

:cheers:

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
antskip said:
toyota man said:

I see what you are saying the black is a good match for my system the blue + green would be like the timing on a car + or - one degree :cheers:

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
After returning my loan pair of Tellurium Q black and reverting back to my mission cables I picked up my new Tellurium Q black cables today I connected them up and as soon as I started to listen I knew that it was money well spent its as if a veil has been lifted from my speakers I would recomend them to anybody as a cheap upgrade money well spent :bounce: :bounce:

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
toyota man said:
After returning my loan pair of Tellurium Q black and reverting back to my mission cables I picked up my new Tellurium Q black cables today I connected them up and as soon as I started to listen I knew that it was money well spent its as if a veil has been lifted from my speakers I would recomend them to anybody as a cheap upgrade

Great news, and nice to hear how you are going! And so pleased you are enjoying again the amazing quailties of the TQ Black. They are very addictive! - incredibly transparent and revelatory given fine hardware, which you appear to have. I couldn't believe what they could do with some sounds, especially up high. I am sure you will find them unveil further as the days pass - as I have experienced with the more forgiving TQ Greens (which do not need so much settling-in as the Blacks or even more, the earlier version of the Greens). I added a TQ Black interconnect, which is a companion to the TQ Black and Green speaker cables.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
antskip said:
toyota man said:
After returning my loan pair of Tellurium Q black and reverting back to my mission cables I picked up my new Tellurium Q black cables today I connected them up and as soon as I started to listen I knew that it was money well spent its as if a veil has been lifted from my speakers I would recomend them to anybody as a cheap upgrade

Great news, and nice to hear how you are going! And so pleased you are enjoying again the amazing quailties of the TQ Black. They are very addictive! - incredibly transparent and revelatory given fine hardware, which you appear to have. I couldn't believe what they could do with some sounds, especially up high. I am sure you will find them unveil further as the days pass - as I have experienced with the more forgiving TQ Greens (which do not need so much settling-in as the Blacks or even more, the earlier version of the Greens). I added a TQ Black interconnect, which is a companion to the TQ Black and Green speaker cables.
Hi antskip I am listening right now and I don't think I could have got this much of an improvment if I had spent the same money on any other part of my system . I am going to let thing settle for a bit and then I am going to borrow some Tellurium xlr interconnects I have had a listen with my old Audiolab amp + a new mission pre amp dack + mission cd transport which sounded realy great but some thing was missing :cheers:

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Afer using the Tellurim Q Black for about a month I noticed a big improvement in my system as well, the sound is spacious and detailed the bass

is great :soft and punchy . This cabels do need a running period before can show what they realy capable to prefrom . they are so good that the Q Black immedietly reveal a weakeness in your system chain or bad recordings or sources .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts