technics turntable return

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
nice to see a technics return, the pic released looks very high end and the platter looks identical to their late 70s higher end models the sl 1410 mk 2 etc...........looks expensive though...........i think they will have a lot to look up to as their higher end models are still highly regarded and can still be had for good prices

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
hopefully when the whole design is completed it will look better......love the platter like i said earlier straight off their higher end 70s direct drives and supposed to be based on the sp10 and sl1200s, cant wait til its finished...........if you look on the vintage technics website some of their turntables looked way ahead of their time especially the sl15 which you could programme like a cd player and i think they may have had phono stages built like todays decks..........i think some of their high end stuff from the 70s and 80s was very good

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
When the last SL1200 / 1210 production ceased the tooling was dismantled and scrapped (it was taking up 'valuable' space) and the team responsible for making them were dispersed to other duties or retired off. Some had 20 - 30 years experience making these turntables.

Such a team (along with it's tooling) is unlikely to be reproduced again and I doubt the new product will ever be more than just an expensive simulacrum of past glories. I doubt if the original could ever be made again unless Panasonic were prepared to lose a truckload of money.

It was an over engineered product and hand-made to a set of hi-fi criteria specific to it's own time (in the mid-to-late 1970s) that got caught up - almost accidently - by a 'world' (of clubs and discos) that it was never intended to serve and that barely existed when it was first made for the domestic, mid-range hi-fi enthusiast. National Panasonic / Matsushita / Technics probably planned to phase it out of production after a couple of years!

chebby said:
When the last SL1200 / 1210 production ceased the tooling was dismantled and scrapped (it was taking up 'valuable' space) and the team responsible for making them were dispersed to other duties or retired off. Some had 20 - 30 years experience making these turntables.

Such a team (along with it's tooling) is unlikely to be reproduced again and I doubt the new product will ever be more than just an expensive simulacrum of past glories. I doubt if the original could ever be made again unless Panasonic were prepared to lose a truckload of money.

It was an over engineered product and hand-made to a set of hi-fi criteria specific to it's own time (in the mid-to-late 1970s) that got caught up - almost accidently - by a 'world' (of clubs and discos) that it was never intended to serve and that barely existed when it was first made for the domestic, mid-range hi-fi enthusiast. National Panasonic / Matsushita / Technics probably planned to phase it out of production after a couple of years!

Quite agree, all the more reason to buy a good example of these wonderful decks. Whilst there is still the personnel around who can produce iconic decks, check out Techdas efforts, the cost of any such deck is astronomical because tooling for mass production is no longer there and no longer viable.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
i think youre both right technics will never ever be able to recreate those golden years of hifi and it is a good job they were made so well back then which enables us to be able to still buy these machines for decent prices..........i still think the modern oem decks have done a good job of modernising the originals so to speak, but for me, technics is my favourite golden era brand and brings back the memories of my dad buying our first proper all technics system and trips down tottenham court road in london so see their high end stuff

dtmark

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I've always been fascinated by the Technics decks as I'm very much into dance music.

I have a Thorens TD150 Mk 2 which does very well with that.

But I've always had a desire to own one of the DJ decks, I have a feeling it's the SL12-something. Stanton cartridge also sounds familiar.

I recall clubbing in my earlier years, at Peach at Camden Palace, circa 1995, stood up at the top in the middle, being absolutely blown away by the sound quality.

That was a theatre, so I guess well optimised accoustically, but I recall it even now playing one of my all time favourite tracks. It was a seminal moment. Quite incredible.

Obviously I've no idea what deck it was on, though it was clearly vinyl playing. Whatever it was, and I suspect it might just have been a Technics, it wasn't just a "DJ deck", it was incredibly capable.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
dtmark said:
I recall clubbing in my earlier years, at Peach at Camden Palace

Was Funk-Master 'Micky' Aspel the DJ?

1970s.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The SLs were the professionals workhorse and audiophiles like the quality, durability and performance so they used them as well. The models aimed for domestic use were not well regarded. If the new Technics TTs are aimed at audiophile and not pros, I'm affraid they'll ruin a decades old reputation.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You wouldn't remember when radio DJs used 'gearshifts' to change speed then?

gates-cb77-corner.jpg

(In neutral.)

On the other side there is a big lever for instant startup of Bachman Turner Overdrive's 'You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet'.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I love all my Technics SL DD's but the 1210 has so far eluded me. - However, a workmate has two at his home in Bristol and is thinking about selling me one as he hasn't used either for years. Mind, he has been saying that for the last 6 months but I think I can wear him down enough :).

That would pose a big problem though; How can I possibly afford an SME arm?

drummerman said:
I love all my Technics SL DD's but the 1210 has so far eluded me. - However, a workmate has two at his home in Bristol and is thinking about selling me one as he hasn't used either for years. Mind, he has been saying that for the last 6 months but I think I can wear him down enough :).

What a dilemma. The 309 or what?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:

What a dilemma. The 309 or what?

Not for a long time unfortunately.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts