Technics-SL10

Charlie88

Feb 20, 2021
Visit site
This has been stored in a dry box for 20+ years. I want to play it but where do I start? I don't think I can simply plug in and play?

Why not. It's the only way to find out if there's anything wrong with it.
you might expect some noise from the tracking servo but this was normal for this device
it will need a new T4P type cartridge I suspect

"The SL-10 is a complicated machine and its small size only adds to the daunting nature of dealing with a faulty unit. However, the quality of all the components used is high so catastrophic failures are rare. The present fad of replacing all the electrolytic capacitors is unnecessary here, although the correct Matsushita 'M' types are still in production for when replacements are genuinely needed.
Of those faults which do occur by far the most common is caused by the drive belt for the arm getting slack. This is located inside the lid and takes some getting to, but it should be the first port of call when dealing with a faulty Technics SL-10 (or one if its cousins).
The 'lid open' sensor, also located in the top half, is the other common source of problems. Should this fail it can be dismantled and cleaned, although this takes a keen eye and a steady hand. The SL-10 is a sturdy machine so there is no need to remove the platter or the cartridge when transporting it; indeed one can cause damage by doing so. There is a small catch to retain the arm, which should be secured whenever the deck is moved."

cartridge can be found here:-

Charlie88

Feb 20, 2021
Visit site
Why not. It's the only way to find out if there's anything wrong with it.
you might expect some noise from the tracking servo but this was normal for this device
it will need a new T4P type cartridge I suspect

"The SL-10 is a complicated machine and its small size only adds to the daunting nature of dealing with a faulty unit. However, the quality of all the components used is high so catastrophic failures are rare. The present fad of replacing all the electrolytic capacitors is unnecessary here, although the correct Matsushita 'M' types are still in production for when replacements are genuinely needed.
Of those faults which do occur by far the most common is caused by the drive belt for the arm getting slack. This is located inside the lid and takes some getting to, but it should be the first port of call when dealing with a faulty Technics SL-10 (or one if its cousins).
The 'lid open' sensor, also located in the top half, is the other common source of problems. Should this fail it can be dismantled and cleaned, although this takes a keen eye and a steady hand. The SL-10 is a sturdy machine so there is no need to remove the platter or the cartridge when transporting it; indeed one can cause damage by doing so. There is a small catch to retain the arm, which should be secured whenever the deck is moved."

cartridge can be found here:-

Charlie88

Feb 20, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. All a matter of confidence. I have found the RCA cable. I thought I had the AC in but discover it is a new one and does not fit!

Charlie88

Feb 20, 2021
Visit site
The AC plug I thought was the one is marked KAWASAKI KS-15F. Do you happen to know which model is needed?
I think connectors varied but if it is a UK edition then I believe it had a simple figure of eight connector.

Charlie88

Feb 20, 2021
Visit site
Yes, this is what I found, as attached. But maybe this is not the original. The original maybe smaller than the current figure of eight connectors?

Attachments

• 20210220_154633 (1).jpg
    20210220_154633 (1).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 2
I thought they were a standard size, could be wrong. Can you put up a photo of the connection rear of deck?
However, it's a very nice deck so persevere and let me know how you get on.
You should be able to find a manual online if you don't have one.

Charlie88

Feb 20, 2021
Visit site
I thought they were a standard size, could be wrong. Can you put up a photo of the connection rear of deck?
However, it's a very nice deck so persevere and let me know how you get on.
You should be able to find a manual online if you don't have one.
I have taken a cable from my JVC handycam battery charger. And it fits! 2 red lights came on. I will persevere!

Reactions: Al ears

Charlie88

Feb 20, 2021
Visit site
Good news. As I said, after so long in storage the cartridge may need replacing but at least you can see if all functions still operate as they should. Replacement belts should also be available if required
20210220_184213.jpg
Good news. As I said, after so long in storage the cartridge may need replacing but at least you can see if all functions still operate as they should. Replacement belts should also be available if required
How can I tell if this is the original Technics EPS-310MC moving-coil cartridge?20210220_184154.jpg

Reactions: Tonestar1

Charlie88

Feb 20, 2021
Visit site
Update - placed LP on turntable and it turns. Now I need to connect an amplifier and speakers, I will have to borrow one first. Any particular spec recommended?

Last edited:

Charlie88

Feb 20, 2021
Visit site
The amplifier you get must have an inbuilt phono preamplifier section within it to connect your turntable to. Quite a few modern amplifiers do not have this facility.
Have not found yet. Maybe I need to sell as is without testing. But can I offer postage, if so how to package it, or should it be collected?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts