Technics SL-PG100 CD Player repair

cricanr

Sep 26, 2022
Visit site
Hey guys,
So I have an old CD Player that my dad used to have, he bought it sometimes early 90s from Technics SL-PG100: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/sl-pg100.shtml.
I also have in the same family the receiver: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/sa-gx130.shtml which I happily use and added to my digital system too. As I have many cool CDs from my dad I was thinking to start using the CD player too with my hifi system, unfortunately it does not work anymore, seems the CD lens is broken or something. I was searching online to get spare parts but seems not so easy job, I found this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33023486549.html. Otherwise I don't seem to have a very easy time to find spare parts. Seems rather decent price, but it's for SL-PG100A, I would expect though it should fit, it seems same family just one subcategory or smth to mine.

What do you guys think? On one side I would enjoy repairing it also for the old school nostalgia feel, but I can also be rational about it.

Thanks a lot!

cricanr

Sep 26, 2022
Visit site
Hey, yeah I want to double check if the lens is faulty indeed, but from what I saw so far seems to be the case. Well 2nd hand is also an option, though I might still get a not so good lens so I was thinking a new one might extend it's life way longer. Do you guys know anything about this particular model? what do you think, quality wise? Thanks!

Hey, yeah I want to double check if the lens is faulty indeed, but from what I saw so far seems to be the case. Well 2nd hand is also an option, though I might still get a not so good lens so I was thinking a new one might extend it's life way longer. Do you guys know anything about this particular model? what do you think, quality wise? Thanks!
I don’t recall it was anything special, tbh, though I appreciate it holds sentimental value for you. A repair is likely to be a minimum of £70, so buying another is a more economic option.

What is the actual symptom, as I don’t think you’ve said yet?

cricanr

Sep 26, 2022
Visit site
I don’t recall it was anything special, tbh, though I appreciate it holds sentimental value for you. A repair is likely to be a minimum of £70, so buying another is a more economic option.

What is the actual symptom, as I don’t think you’ve said yet?
Yeah it does hold sentimental value and yes around 70 should be fine I guess for me...
The actual symptom is it basically does not read any CDs, it power on fine buttons react, all good, but cannot actually read anything.

Yeah it does hold sentimental value and yes around 70 should be fine I guess for me...
The actual symptom is it basically does not read any CDs, it power on fine buttons react, all good, but cannot actually read anything.
Does it spin the disc, looking for the index? If so, you might be lucky and a lens clean might do the trick. If it’s been stored somewhere like a loft or garage, as opposed to room temp, it may just have a film on the lens.

cricanr

Sep 26, 2022
Visit site
Does it spin the disc, looking for the index? If so, you might be lucky and a lens clean might do the trick. If it’s been stored somewhere like a loft or garage, as opposed to room temp, it may just have a film on the lens.
thanks, I just checked it out now, this time it actually ejects the disc directly. Last time if I remember fine was just trying to read it, just a silent sound was occurring, but it didn't manage to read anything.
It's been in a house / flat for all the years in I would say rather ok conditions.

cricanr

Sep 26, 2022
Visit site
Ah no, not really :) I tried out just basic stuff so far and researched a bit. I guess for proper repair I will end up taking it to somebody who really knows better, but I just like to learn a bit and improve my skills around this.

cricanr

Sep 26, 2022
Visit site
yes, that's my plan to actually don't just go there without knowing anything :) and to offer some options I have researched, might also reduce costs

Reactions: Dom

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Sometimes it is not the laser unit but a tiny switch that tells the draw there is a CD there a bit of contact cleaner on the switch may do the trick. IF it has ones of those switches, not all do

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts