Technics SL-B202 with Marantz “head” and Shure (?) M75MG stylus - bad for vinyl?

pd44

Oct 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

We bought a secondhand turntable as described above.

I’m wondering if the combination is bad for my records? Quite tinny treble that even hurts my ears quite often.

Afraid I don’t know much about turntables, but remember that most of my records used to sound nicer than this.

pd44

Oct 10, 2020
Visit site
Sorry for the delay; I shall clarify.

I did mean cartridge head (or headshell?), not phono stage.

I previously had a Technics direct drive from '86, can't remember which, but it got stolen; it had a much lighter & smaller tonearm.

Anyway, I read this article about setting up a tonearm - https://blog.discogs.com/en/how-to-setup-your-turntable/ - and on our turntable the tracking force was set way too high.

I've adjusted it and ordered a replacement stylus here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diamond-...sOtherItemsV2&_trksid=p2508447.c100044.m43681

Should be good? I'm not going to play any records until the new stylus comes.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Sorry for the delay; I shall clarify.

I did mean cartridge head (or headshell?), not phono stage.

I previously had a Technics direct drive from '86, can't remember which, but it got stolen; it had a much lighter & smaller tonearm.

Anyway, I read this article about setting up a tonearm - https://blog.discogs.com/en/how-to-setup-your-turntable/ - and on our turntable the tracking force was set way too high.

I've adjusted it and ordered a replacement stylus here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diamond-Sapphire-Stylus-for-Cell-Shure-M75MG-Type-2-Type-II/383753071843?_trkparms=aid=1110002&algo=SPLICE.SOI&ao=1&asc=20200722115301&meid=f9364a1d2370444d84ecb27d5a59fd03&pid=100044&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=293714707431&itm=383753071843&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2508447&algv=SellersOtherItemsV2&_trksid=p2508447.c100044.m43681

Should be good? I'm not going to play any records until the new stylus comes.
Nice and your detachable headshell will make fitting the new stylus that bit easier.
Sorry to hear about your stolen TT, we can only hope the stealer(s) experience a horrendous life event of some sort.

Reactions: Al ears and pd44

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I think he might mean headshell not phono stage
The Shure cartridge is ancient and probably knackered. When are people going to learn vinyl on the cheap is going to be full of issues.
it dependes if well taken care of ,i own records from late 60´s and started to hear them on a ES-2000 system from pioneer ,the turntable and amplifier look better finished than the that year components catalog ,1974 . Istill use the original cartridge andit´s rare to find stylus (original ones) but sometimes i find them on old hi-fi shops and buy 3 or 4 of them ,they say the pn-30 is the same of the pn-50 and are sold as that but the pn-50(grey) as a bigger plastic casing compared to the pn-30 ,the cartridge is a pc-30 (red),always take good care with the stylus and old records as a 69 joan baez best of it makes no noise inbetween tracks ,i work with devices to see what number of eggs are in the fruit fly ,so i can see the stylus like if they had 30cm long and till today never mistreated a turntable (only in mid 90´s) while i was working as a dj ofered to the public a numark TT and throw it from the stage to a guy that wanted it, it arrived in one piece to the hands of it´s new owner, only then. Today i have 5 working TT´S from diferent brands and the main thing i notice in 90´s till today integrated amplifiers is how bad are their phono stage ,people upgrade the stylus and cartridge but the only problem is the phono stage ,try 70´s stereo receivers if in good condition and you´ll notice you have a complete warm and detailed sound with the same stylus ,now i´m listening to rolling stones tatoo you lp(maybe i didn´t put it to play for the last 30 years )and inbetween tracks makes no noise compared to a new version of joy division´s unknown pleasures that i bought recentelly that makes a hiss sound inbetween tracks in a sl-3310(76) with it´s original stylus the eps-270sd from technics with a pioneer sa-608 bought in 78, with some tannoys with stands the 605 and a pair of pioneer cs´s with 40 cm diameter woofers to increase the bass, but the best i have it´s a sl-1000mkII bought in 79 with a expensive sure stylus and cartridge i bought ,because it´s original stylus was a mc type and dificult to find today ,even bought a technics pre-amplifier that was sold to increase the volume of mc type stylus, had also a early 80´s thorens but sold it recentelly by a lot of money with a new goldring stylus and cartridge , sometimes the problem is not what it seems, a friend of mine has a pro-ject TT with a expensive sumiko cartridge and stylus , i don´t know the model but it´s one of those that it as a ruber belt out of the turntable and to change speed you need to manually put the belt in a diferent position it as a carbon fiber arm and sounds really bad with his a-676 from pioneer ,it really a project but for the price they should include more bit´s, instead of selling them apart. doesn´t have a cover ,you need to buy it ,they make them but more money to spend and not from the brand .Where we live it´s hot and dry most of the year so dust it finds it´s way to the most protected devices or records, i think this fashion brands of today are real simple and expensive without ofering nothing new

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

We bought a secondhand turntable as described above.

I’m wondering if the combination is bad for my records? Quite tinny treble that even hurts my ears quite often.

Afraid I don’t know much about turntables, but remember that most of my records used to sound nicer than this.
what you described isn´t going to hurt your records maybe it´s not compatible with the turntable , the stylus. I tried long ago like a technics complete head in a pioneer made the sound very filled with high´s but not bad ,in technics turntables to use at home i think the original cartridge and stylus are the best ,just my opinion

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts