Technics SL-1200MK2 as an audio TT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I'm not sure who it is/was that claimed the 1200/1210 was originally designed as an audiophile deck, but I don't buy it. Chances are that was sales blurb by Technics to try and get it accepted in hi-fi circles.

Back when the original SL1200 emerged (in 1972) most studio DJs were using Garrard 301/401 Transcriptors (idler wheel drive) or EMTs or similar.

'Mobile DJs' (weddings, youth clubs etc.) were all using far more humble gear than SL1200s. (Sugden Connoisseur decks I seem to remember being quite popular.)

The world of hip-hop, 'scratching', mixing etc. and club 'DJs' (as we have understood the term in the last 30 years) either didn't exist or was in a very formative 'underground' state in 1972.

The Technics was aimed fair and square at the hifi market.

You are using 'the argument from personal incredulity' to try and change history to suit your argument.

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I'm not sure who it is/was that claimed the 1200/1210 was originally designed as an audiophile deck, but I don't buy it. Chances are that was sales blurb by Technics to try and get it accepted in hi-fi circles.

Back when the original SL1200 emerged (in 1972) most studio DJs were using Garrard 301/401 Transcriptors (idler wheel drive) or EMTs or similar.

'Mobile DJs' (weddings, youth clubs etc.) were all using far more humble gear than SL1200s. (Sugden Connoisseur decks I seem to remember being quite popular.)

The world of hip-hop, 'scratching', mixing etc. and club 'DJs' (as we have understood the term in the last 30 years) either didn't exist or was in a very formative 'underground' state in 1972.

The Technics was aimed fair and square at the hifi market.

You are using 'the argument from personal incredulity' to try and change history to suit your argument.

I'm with chubby,

I have a manual/ operating instructions for an SL1200 and on the cover is a drawing of a clarinet, musical score, and fountain pen, not a disco light, baseball cap, or piece of bling bling in sight.

John Duncan

Spectre said:
I have a manual/ operating instructions for an SL1200 and on the cover is a drawing of a clarinet, musical score, and fountain pen, not a disco light, baseball cap, or piece of bling bling in sight.

FA-Mozart-Kopfhoerer.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Spectre said:

The SL-1200 was also produced without an arm (as the SL-120). The SME 3009 Series II tonearm was a popular choice.

So people putting 'audiophile' arms on their Technics turntables started back in 1972* as a deliberate option by the manufacturer. (Not a 'tweak' or a 'modification'.)

*Actually it started a little earlier with their SL-110 variant (of the SL-1100) in 1971 where pre-cut wooden SME armboards were supplied by Technics as an alternative to their own arms.

Niglets

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
You know what they say...ask a question and....you know the rest.

It is a fact that the Technics was originally designed as a home audio turntable in 1972, its use as a disco table and the incarnations specifically aimed at the lucrative DJ market came later. Those that say otherwise are mistaken. A lot of money was spent to develop and perfect it. You can debate DD Vs BD till the cows come home. Wow and flutter is exceedingly low and to my ears attains cd like pitch stability. Some say (most recently audio reviewer michael fremer) it has minute and audible pitch deviations causing a hard/bright treble sound. I dont hear the sound Fremer refers to. Some say they do. AS it always is in audio hobby, nothings changed there. To me it is a good hi fi deck that is very easy to use. Rega is always saying how easy their decks are easy to use, but in fact the technics is even easier. It is not the last word in detail and "soundstaging", what it does offer is a nice meaty tonality with a ballsy presentation, it has a great midrange as well. IMO the truth, if you will, about the SL1200 is that it is neither the cruddy "DJ" deck hi fi snobs say it is, nor is it the ultimate record player some of its more crazed fans claim it to be. The owners manual does claim it to be "a masterpiece amongst turntables". Bottom line- It is a good turntable and offers some desirable qualities, as people who own them know. Sorry to say you have to own and use one to know it its really for you or not (as I say about any piece of audio gear).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Niglets said:
You know what they say...ask a question and....you know the rest.

It is a fact that the Technics was originally designed as a home audio turntable in 1972, its use as a disco table and the incarnations specifically aimed at the lucrative DJ market came later. Those that say otherwise are mistaken. A lot of money was spent to develop and perfect it. You can debate DD Vs BD till the cows come home. Wow and flutter is exceedingly low and to my ears attains cd like pitch stability. Some say (most recently audio reviewer michael fremer) it has minute and audible pitch deviations causing a hard/bright treble sound. I dont hear the sound Fremer refers to. Some say they do. AS it always is in audio hobby, nothings changed there. To me it is a good hi fi deck that is very easy to use. Rega is always saying how easy their decks are easy to use, but in fact the technics is even easier. It is not the last word in detail and "soundstaging", what it does offer is a nice meaty tonality with a ballsy presentation, it has a great midrange as well. IMO the truth, if you will, about the SL1200 is that it is neither the cruddy "DJ" deck hi fi snobs say it is, nor is it the ultimate record player some of its more crazed fans claim it to be. The owners manual does claim it to be "a masterpiece amongst turntables". Bottom line- It is a good turntable and offers some desirable qualities, as people who own them know. Sorry to say you have to own and use one to know it its really for you or not (as I say about any piece of audio gear).

I thinks that's fair comment. :)

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The technics sl1200 was a home tt before the djs realised how well built it was and as used for home sounds great best tt ive had as an all round package hifi world and hifi choice rate them very highly and obviously they can be well modified.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts