Technics SA-C600 vs Naim Mu-so Qb first generation

Burroughs70

Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
Happy Sunday, guys.
I'm a happy owner of a Naim Mu-so Qb 1st generation that I bought approximately four years ago.
The quality of the sound delivered is excellent, even though you have to pump the volume up a lot to get the best results, but I've always complained about its lack of flexibility.
Ok, you might say, it's just a wireless speaker, but there's no headphone output (for obvious reasons), the phono stage is absolutely basic and the firmware is usually updated once in a while (I don't know why, for example, Naim does not update the software to let us connect to Qobuz).
I was thinking about getting a Technics SA-C600, which has received rave reviews so far: it's equipped with a decent phono stage, there's a headphone output and, most of all, a CD-tray.
In terms of amplification, there's no contest, though: 30W per channel (Technics) against 300W (Naim), but... well, I cannot make up my mind.
Any tips?

Have a listen to both and then make your mind up. As for the Qb producing 300W, take that with a pinch of salt; indeed, take it with the entire salt mine!
how.much of that power is actually used in normal listening environment is debatable but would be very interested bin finding out where the 300 wpc figure came from ....
The Technics 40wpc should be perfectly adequate with a pair of reasonably efficient speakers, and it is a veritable bargain.....

Last edited:

Burroughs70

Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
Thanks, guys.
Frankly speaking, I'm a big fan of a "quiet" way of listening to music, nonetheless I was thinking about buying a pair of KEF Q350 to complete my setup.
As of now, I use the Naim only when I want to "make some noise", most of the times I use a Topping DX3 Pro+ when I want to take advantage of my Meze 99 Classics.
I'm not disappointed, but the SA-C600 would be a "one device for all" which could suit my needs better.

Reactions: Al ears
Thanks, guys.
Frankly speaking, I'm a big fan of a "quiet" way of listening to music, nonetheless I was thinking about buying a pair of KEF Q350 to complete my setup.
As of now, I use the Naim only when I want to "make some noise", most of the times I use a Topping DX3 Pro+ when I want to take advantage of my Meze 99 Classics.
I'm not disappointed, but the SA-C600 would be a "one device for all" which could suit my needs better.
T hey have certainly squeezed an awful lot into a small box.

Thanks, guys.
you may be better off with something a tad more efficient than those Kefs.

Burroughs70

Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
unfortunately that's going to depend on what you can actually get to listen to
Some of the most efficient around are the Icon Audio MFV 6 or Tannoy Platinum B6, however those KEFs may be fine depends on room size. You'll have to audition yourself.
Thank you, mate.
Well, my living room is not huge so I think that probably the KEFs should do their job properly.
PS: what about the Bowers & Wilkins 607 S2?

Last edited:
Thank you, mate.
Well, my living room is not huge so I think that probably the KEFs should do their job properly.
PS: what about the Bowers & Wilkins 607 S2?
The KEF are a bit more sensitive than the B&W 607 s2, but I’d recommend a look at the Q Acoustics 3030i if you want a stand-mount speaker. Don’t be put off by the low price - they should be about £350 but you can often find them nearer £250.

Or you might prefer the floor-standing 3050i if you want a bigger sound. Both sensitive electrically, and very easy to listen to.

I bought the 3020i last year for a bit of fun - and a possible study/second system - and they sounded flippin’ amazing on my main system. Bonkers value. Here’s a pic with them on (too low) stands in front of my ATCs.

View: https://i.imgur.com/of5aAGY.jpg

Reactions: Al ears

Burroughs70

Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
Thank you all, guys, especially nopiano, for your advices, you have been very helpful.
Yes, I’ve found the Q Acoustics 3030i for less than £200.00 on Amazon, really interesting.
What cables should I purchase, according to your experiences?
Thanks again.

Thank you all, guys, especially nopiano, for your advices, you have been very helpful.
Yes, I’ve found the Q Acoustics 3030i for less than £200.00 on Amazon, really interesting.
What cables should I purchase, according to your experiences?
Thanks again.
I wouldn’t worry, just choose something that blends in with your decor! QED has the same parent company as Q Acoustics, so anything from their range. The original 79 strand is decent for the money.

I was using Van Damme 4mm ‘shotgun’ Hifi cable in my picture, but the 2.5mm is plenty thick enough. It’s an excellent product. Several internet/eBay sellers will make it up to order. The QA take banana plugs (easier) or bare wire (cheaper).

Example:-

Last edited:

Burroughs70

Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
Thanks again, guys, especially nopiano, for his kind support.
I think that the SA-C600 is a real bargain for that price, but I have a doubt: my Naim Mu-so is just approximately two meters away from the listener and there's not a big room available on the "stand" to separate the speakers I'm supposed to buy.
Do you think that, by using the SA-C600 in this configuration, I will get any improvement?
This is just to give you an idea of how things stand:

Attachments

• IMG_3582.jpg
    IMG_3582.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 6
Thanks again, guys, especially nopiano, for his kind support.
I think that the SA-C600 is a real bargain for that price, but I have a doubt: my Naim Mu-so is just approximately two meters away from the listener and there's not a big room available on the "stand" to separate the speakers I'm supposed to buy.
Do you think that, by using the SA-C600 in this configuration, I will get any improvement?
This is just to give you an idea of how things stand:
I doubt speakers used in such a position will be the best way to listen to them.
Stick with the Muso.

TRENDING THREADS