TEAC Reference 501 AI-501DA etc. reviews?

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Will the What H*iFi? Team be reviewing the AI-501DA or any of the components from the TEAC Reference 501 series?

Very attractive, lots of features. And I'm quite fond of TEAC gear as well :grin: Only things that seem to be missing are Internet radio, well network streaming / tuner, DAB. I suppose you'd need a laptop / nas combo (or even just hard drive connected to laptop) to fill the gap? Shame they didn't design a streamer with display.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
SiUK said:
Will the What H*iFi? Team be reviewing the AI-501DA or any of the components from the TEAC Reference 501 series?

Very attractive, lots of features. And I'm quite fond of TEAC gear as well :grin: Only things that seem to be missing are Internet radio, well network streaming / tuner, DAB. I suppose you'd need a laptop / nas combo (or even just hard drive connected to laptop) to fill the gap? Shame they didn't design a streamer with display.

The 501 DAC was reviewed in the September issue of HiFi World, so maybe TEAC only release kit to that magazine?

xlider

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Cypher said:
Anyone here owns the Teac AI-501DA amplifier ? How does this machine perform ?

just aquired one, along with monitor audio silver 8. I tested it against marantz PM 6005, NAD 3020, mainly on Monitor Audio Silver 8 and Silver 6. Also a brief run with BW 684...

To me, the sound was much clearer and precise than on the two other amps. It also gave enough power for my needs and I needed several digital entries to work with my TV box and Apple TV. So it fit the bill quite well...

will tell you in the long run if my choice was right...

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Xlider.

Next week I'm going to audition the NAD D3020. I'm also interested in the Teac AI-501DA but it costs 799 euro in Holland. The NAD is 499.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the Teac though............can you describe the sound a little bit ?

I love these new digital amps and the inclusion of a DAC is just the icing on the cake ;)

xlider

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Cypher, and Happy New Year.

I do not have the amplifier at home yet, as the speakers I chose where not in stock. This being said, I listened to both with Silver 6 speakers , and the 3020 where not able to really able to drive them far enough. The Silver 8 combined with the TEAC I finally decided to buy sounded really clear and precise both in classic (Dvorak, new world symphony, third movement) and rock music (offspring and Puggy).

Now when you look at the specs, the TEAC delivers 90W while the NAD delivers 30, and my speakers require teorically over 80W... The difference in price is not only the added features (which may be better on the NAD if you really need bluetooth), but also much more power in a very similar size.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Also a happy new year and thanks for the fast reply.

On paper the NAD is more powerful than the Teac. Two german magazines measured that the D3020 puts out 54 watt @ 8ohm.

The Teac puts out 45 watt @ 8ohm. The 90 watts you mention is @ 4ohm.

But that's on paper so it can be that the Teac sounds more powerful ;)

I'm going to listen to the NAD next week and I'll try to audition the Teac but that's not easy. Most dealers have the NAD in stock but not the Teac.

Congratulations with your purchase.............you have bought some really nice gear.............enjoy :)

TRENDING THREADS