Teac AI-501DA

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Does anybody have some experience with this unit? Or any other product from their Reference series? It was rated 3 stars on WhatHifi, but it is the only "negative" review on the internet. I found quite a lot of other reviews and they are all very positive, praising it's looks, sound and DAC quality.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Have not hear this. It looks fantastic though. The thing about a review is it can skewer confidence.

In that price range (actually for less) is also the Quad Vena which has many of the specs, might also be worth putting on audition list

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it. Where I live the Teac is €250 cheaper than the Vena. Looks like that remote is something I'm gonna lose a lot aswell *biggrin*

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Indeed, British equipment is slightly more expensive here in the Netherlands. What I am looking for is something I mentioned above. €/£ 800ish integrated amplifier with optical inputs to connect my tv. Vena looks nice though, specially with the Quad S-2.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
muljao said:
And by cheaper, i meant less expensive, that quad is anything but "cheap"

My Quad Vena cost £599 (full RRP). It is hardly expensive.

Nice review (with pics) here ...

clicky

and here ...

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/resources/products/downloads/Vena%20HFC%20Oct14.pdf

and here ...

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/resources/products/downloads/Vena%20HFW%20Nov14.pdf

From the conclusion of the group test above ...

"First, it's important to point out that none of them, with the exception of the Quad, can step into the shoes of a high-quality conventional integrated amplifier. "

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
chebby said:
muljao said:
And by cheaper, i meant less expensive, that quad is anything but "cheap"

My Quad Vena cost £599 (full RRP). It is hardly expensive.

Nice review (with pics) here ...

clicky

and here ...

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/resources/products/downloads/Vena%20HFC%20Oct14.pdf

and here ...

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/resources/products/downloads/Vena%20HFW%20Nov14.pdf

From the conclusion of the group test above ...

"First, it's important to point out that none of them, with the exception of the Quad, can step into the shoes of a high-quality conventional integrated amplifier. "

In hifi terms no, it's not very expensive. I personally think it looks more high end, but that's just my opinion. Either way it's a desirable enough piece of kit

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Nelis87 said:
Indeed, British equipment is slightly more expensive here in the Netherlands. What I am looking for is something I mentioned above. €/£ 800ish integrated amplifier with optical inputs to connect my tv. Vena looks nice though, specially with the Quad S-2.

Have you speakers and/or a budget for them? What size room

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Currently running Dali zensor 7 on a Pioneer A-30 and N-50A network player. Looking to upgrade to a more sofisticated 2.0 bookshelf setup. Price can be around 1000-1200 for both speakers. Will be used in mid sized living room for 50/50 music/movies. Not a bass junkie. Thanks for the input so far, Quad equipment seems sexy.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Nelis87 said:
Currently running Dali zensor 7 on a Pioneer A-30 and N-50A network player. Looking to upgrade to a more sofisticated 2.0 bookshelf setup. Price can be around 1000-1200 for both speakers. Will be used in mid sized living room for 50/50 music/movies. Not a bass junkie. Thanks for the input so far, Quad equipment seems sexy.

Correct me if I am wrong-

I think it would be possible to run an optical from your tv to the pioneer, as it doubles as a dac.

This might open your amp choices to someting Like a Rega for 900 ish pounds, which may be a better performer due none of its budget being focussed on an integrated dac.

Others may chime in, this stuff is beyond my knowledge as I only have budget gear

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
The new A-50 and A-70 models have build in dac's, my A-30 does not (using 3,5 to analog atm). My N-50A player does, but I don't want to turn on both devices to watch tv and I like the less boxes kinda stuff.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Ya I meant optical to the pioneer streamer.

Those dali 7s look the business. Have you looked into something like the Cambridge Audio cxa80. It got an ok review here on WHF but got much more favourable reviews alsewhere. A nice bit of power and plenty of inputs

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Are you looking mostly for a decent integrated to also allow optical-in? Or are looks important as well? For the first option you could look at the NuPrime range (available from hansaudio.nl in The Netherlands): the IDA-6 offers this functionality for a very competitive price, some € 500-600 (but only a 3,5 Audio-in), or the IDA-8 has more extensive functionality (around € 900-100).

Over a year ago I was in a similar position and seriously considered the UD-501DA, but in the end chose the Quad Vena.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi Nelis87.

I have the TEAC AI 501DA and I love it. I use it to drive my B&W 685 s2 and the TEAC does that with ease. Enough power, even at higher volumes to fill our room. I have connected the TV, CD/Blu Ray player, set top box from KPN and a TT (with a separate phone preamp) to the TEAC. I also use the USB input to play my music from my laptop. It's also very womenfriendly.......

Go have an audition at a decent hifi store.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Reijer said:
Hi Nelis87.

I have the TEAC AI 501DA and I love it. I use it to drive my B&W 685 s2 and the TEAC does that with ease. Enough power, even at higher volumes to fill our room. I have connected the TV, CD/Blu Ray player, set top box from KPN and a TT (with a separate phone preamp) to the TEAC. I also use the USB input to play my music from my laptop. It's also very womenfriendly....... 

Go have an audition at a decent hifi store. 

Proof that not all WHF reviews are accurate :)

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. I think I will be happy either way. Based on looks I'm leaning towards Teac, based on reviews towards the Quad and Cambridge cxa60. An audition will have to decide. I do like the idea of owning an amp and speakers from the same brand (Quad Vena + S-2 for example). Gives me a feeling they are made for eachother, but again that is just a feeling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts