Tape Out to Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1

usr33t

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Evening All,

Hopefully a simple question that I would be grateful for people's thoughts on.

Is there any reason why I couldn't or shouldn't try connecting a set of Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1s to the Tape Out of my Cambridge A1 amplifier? As far as I can see the AEs have phono line level inputs and I presume that the Tape Out of the Cambridge is also line level. I accept that I would have to control the volume of the AEs using their volume control.

The reason for the question is that I have recently moved house and have very little room for my hifi setup. I have looked at some bookshelf speakers including the QAcoustics 2020i, which look good but are still physically too big. I've also seen the Neat IOTAs, which look ideal in everything but price (my budget is only around £150).

I'm happy to try the AE Aegos as a compromise, as I've read good things about them and size-wise they look ideal, but only if the proposed setup allows them to work as well as they can. As long as the tape output on the Cambridge matches the line input I can't see there would be any problems, however, I would be interested in others' views on this.

Any thoughts/observations gratefull received.

Thanks very much.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

There shouldn't be any problem at all using the Aego M this way and, as you say, controlling the volume direct from the Aego itself.

The one thing I would say is to be aware that the Aego M sub is reasonably large compared to the satellites so you'd have to make sure you could accommodate that as well. The satellites won't work on their own and have to be ran from the sub, you may well be aware of this but best to make sure!

Cheers,

James Luce

usr33t

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much James,

I'm not too worried about the sub as from what little I know about 2.1 systems (virtually nothing - read about them for first time last night) subs are not that fussy about positioning. The idea was to have it under the desk and probably vertically beneath either the left or right satellite (which will be on the desk), depending on how I set up the room. I'm not expecting audiophile quality but I'm still hoping it will sound pretty respectable all things considered.

Cheers

Russ

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi Russ,

That would work fine, you're right that sub position isn't as critical with these types of systems but they do benefit from being somewhere in the vicinity of the satellites and the position you suggest is perfectly decent - I have a similar layout on the computer desk I'm typing on now! The sound would be a decent step up from most of the budget all-in-one type systems you get in the electrical chain stores and has more than enough power for most.

There are alternative options available from other manufacturers of course but I can happily say that I've rarely heard anyone being dissatisfied with the Aego M in the 10+ years we've been making the system (or variations of it!).

Cheers,

James.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I have the Aego M 2.1 system plugged into my computer in the office and I think it sounds excellent at this price level. Comes with quite neat wall mounting brackets too if space is really tight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts