Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE Impressions

Mutsu

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've found limited information about these speakers online apart from the WHF review, so thought I'd share my impressions vs other speakers audtioned.

My old speakers were Monitor Audio RX1 paired with Audiolab MDAC in digital preamp mode connected to an Audiolab 8200P. Speakers had remained a constant with several hardware switches which included Rega DAC and Brio-R. I settled on the Audilab combo, but I'm almost curious to try the Rega again on my current speakers, but I digress...

Mostly, I enjoyed the sound of the RX1 ones, but I felt they were lacking in the bass and over emphasised treble in some songs. At higher volumes the bass was more impressive and the sound was more rounded, but due to living in a block of flats and having respect for my neighbours, I felt these volumes were a little too high. And so began my quest for some speakers that sounded fuller at lower volumes.

Speakers I autioned along with impressions are as follows:

Monitor Audio RX6 - Sounded very familiar to me because of my RX1s. Large soundstage, but felt what was missing from the RX1 was still missing from the RX6.

B&W 683 - Prefered these to the RX6. Sounded more engaging and exciting, fuller sound at lower volumes and still a large soundstage. Was very impressed at these for the price offered and was very tempted to take the plundge. Had some reservations about lack of clarity on some songs and also on looks though.

Kef Q500 - Hated these compared to previous speakers. Small soundstage, lacking in bass and excitement.

Dali Ikon 6 MKII - Far too bass heavy. Didn't listen to these for long at all as I found the bass so overpowering.

Kef R500 - Sounded amazing at higher volumes, but bass lacking at lower volumes.

B&W CM1 (Wanted to listen to CM8, but none in stock) - Sounded similar to the RX1s but with slightly more clarity and a bit more excitement, perhaps a slightly smaller soundstage but more realistic. Bass felt a bit lacking even at higher volumes.

Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE - Instantly felt that these were something special. Very full bodied and rich sounding at low volumes which stayed balanced when the volume was turned up. Very focused sound, perhaps less of a soundstage than the RX1 and B&Ws but I felt like it was more realistic and less ditracting from the enjoyment of the music. Instrumental seperation was very good with impressive vocal reproduction.

Initially I did want to hear the CM8s before making a decision, but I would have had to travel pretty far to do this, and my impressions of the CM1 were good, but the imbalance at the lower volume sold me towards the DC6T SEs.

Very happy with my purchase of the DC6T SE, highly recommend them and think they look great in my lounge :)

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Good news MUTSU

I had already a threat regarding the TANNOYS DC6T SE for a couple of days and nobody answered. It is very strange that these speakers (DC6T SE) and the standard ones (DC6T) have twice been awarder WHF price and nobody speaks of them :wall:.

Is it because they are not TOP of the range/expensive ones? or is it something else?

So is VERY NICE to hear from someone who auditioned quite a few and decided on the TANNOYS. I am in the process of buying HIFI speakers with a plan to expand into HT later on. I have heard KEF LS50s (not much bass for my taste), KEF R700 (Nice), Focal 836V (nice), MA's RX8 and also in short list DALI IKON 8 MKII, JBL ES100 (old range).

The first time i heard the KEFs I was amazed by the UNI-Q technology. It was very nice to hear high's and mid's coming from one direction. I was SO PLEASED that the next day I heard the FOCAL CHORUS 836V, although very nice speakers, I did them injustice. From now own, 'unfortunately', I am looking on this technology more. I am so overwelmed....

However, the price of KEF R700 is almost TWICE that of TANNOY DC6T SE. and i was wondering? How 'different' are they between them? Do you get the same feeling as that of KEF's. I see that the lows go doen to 35HZ? Do you actually feel the bass?

If I buy the TANNOYS then with the same money I would have spend oon KEF' I will add a proper pair of speakers for my rears in HT, and we are talking of a whole lot of new ball game?

Your views will be greatly appreciated...

Mutsu

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi L00k_C,

I auditioned the Kef R500, which I believe are a smaller version of the R700.

I found the bass to be very impressive at higher volumes, but the speaker didn't sound great to me at lower volumes like the Tannoys did. They definately sounded good to me with the volume turned up, but I wish the frequency balance was more neutral at lower volumes.

Mutsu

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Using an Audiolab 8200P.

Have an Audiolab MDAC running in digital pre-amp mode.

The designer of the MDAC is releasing a power amp within the next few months which he says should surpass the 8200P, so I'm going to trial one of these when they are out and perhaps get a couple if they really impress.

OldNick

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
:dance:

I just replaced my old Genesis 100W speakers which I bought in 1982 along with a JVC 60W RMS Amp and stacker system. I chose the Tannoy DC6T SE floor mounted speakers and just hooked them up to my sound system today.

All I can say is that the reviews are right! It is spectacularly clean and authentic. Close your eyes and you would think the player, band or :dance: orchestra were in the same room as you.

Simply wonderful to listen to your favourite music and have it sound soooo good!

OldNick

T

the record spot

There's a fixation on this forum at times with certain models at the expense of others. I think you made a great choice, plus they're smart lookers as well. Enjoy!

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Mutsu said:
Dali Ikon 6 MKII - Far too bass heavy. Didn't listen to these for long at all as I found the bass so overpowering.

Could you describe little bit more detail your opinion about Dali Ikon? On what music and amp you found bass too heavy, and overpowering?

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Mutsu said:
Kef Q500 - Hated these compared to previous speakers. Small soundstage, lacking in bass and excitement.

Surprised you hate the Q500s, they sound great in my house. Horses for courses I guess!

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I can´t decide if this speaker is the way to go, got a good deal of them only today online. The standmounter version just got 4 of 5 stars. How does it compare to the popular kef ls50?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts