Tannoy Revolution DC6T brighter than Monitor Audio RX 6?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm still searching for new speakers. My old speakers are from 1989! (KEF C55). I find many speakers on the bright side. Female voices (metal music) then too shrill. My new amp will be the Marantz Pearl lite.

The MA RX 6 sounds nice with my music, but also i think on the bright side. How are the Tannoy Revolution (not the signature) DC6T compare with the MA? I will also listen to the KEF Q700.

Hi peterpan

I think that you should also look at the used market and seek out the excellent Marantz PM94 amplifier :twisted: as i feel the issue which you're finding with bright presentation will be kept in check by a PM94.

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/marantz_pm94_amplifier/

Btw, in my opinion the PM94 is one of the true pearls of Marantz amplifiers :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

T

the record spot

I think, if my DC4 Revolution is anything to go by, you'll find the Tannoys more balanced with less tendency to brightness. I'm very impressed by the DC4s and they come across well with all musical genres. I'd imagine that you'd need to have a listen, but the dual concentric driver is a winner for me.

The MAs seem to attract a very diverse opinion; maybe they just need to be partnered well or more carefully?

peterpan said:
Hi Rick,

Thanks. But what do you think of the Tannoy compare with the MA?

I did ask in one of your previous speaker threads whether you could dem any of them. A home audition is the only way you'll know.

Each speaker has their own distinct tonal qualities and that, in turn, is influenced by kit and room acoustics. You can carry on asking until the cows come home but you'll always find, as RS alluded to, a mixed response.

A

Anonymous

I have the DC6T's and find them a very balanced speaker (not bright) but I cant comment on the MA's I'm afraid.

Memphismusic

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
I had some DC6T speakers recently - I would say they are probably the best looking and most exciting detailed sounding speaker I have owned - BUT I had to change them because I found they were so bright at times and with certain music they became painful to listen to!

Even to the point were some artist vocals were sounding strained, when normally they had a fairly rich vocal.

I was running them through the Kandy K2 amp.

If you have a decent Richer sounds they may let you sample them at home with your amp - I am just not sure if the Kandy K2 amp I have is part of my problem???

So I replaced them with B&W 684's which have taken the problem away - BUT the DC6T's still had great punch and controlled bass better than anything I have heard.

Before I purchased the 684's I did try them against all the other competion from MA, Wharfedale, Mission etc and found all the others were too harsh or too closed a soundstage.

I hope this helps and maybe the best advice comes from the guys who say make sure you listen to all your components together before purchasing.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have them and still very impressed with them. The occassional challenge is the shoutiness of the top end which gets more prominent if the electronics do not match.

But with an able amplifier (my top recommendation is a Pearl Lite amplifier) I would live with DC6T for long time. The bass, midrange, dynamics - everything is truly wonderful.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I will buy the Marantz Pearl Lite. I love it :cheers:

I have heard by two diffent dealers the Tannoy and the MA. It seems to me that the Tannoy sounds warmer. The MA seems brighter. I couldn't hear shrill highs on the Tannoy. I'm now looking at a dealer who has the Tannoy and the MA to compare them in the same room.

Memphismusic

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi again,

Yes don't be put off as the DC6T's are warmer and better sounding than anything else i have heard in the mid and bass, but the treble too detailed and harsh with most music - as long as you can match up your room and an amp that doesn't bring out the harshness that my set-up did in them, they could be the best buy.

I failed to get it right, so couldn't live with them. Although according to What Hi-Fi I had the perfect system with the DC6T's, K2 Amp and Audiolab 8200CD.

You need to sample all your music types and various recording styles with the DC6T's to understand them - trust me 50% of your collection will sound better than ever and the rest will take it's toll over long listening.

They may not get as much press recently, but i would definately listen to the B&W's as well.

Memphismusic

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
I think Wish Tree is spot on describing the DC6T's - Fantastic speakers, but the shoutiness of the top end can destroy the listening pleasure.

Changing speaker and connect cables does not help, so amp pairing must be the key to getting the best out of these speakers.

A

Anonymous

Hi there. I have dc6t. I think these are great speakers. Before I went to buy them to listen and RX6 of MA. Tannoy's for me is better. I listen to them in my home with my marantz sr5005 .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts