Tannoy Rev Sig. DC4T or DC6T

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI all,

I am thinking about the above speakers but I am not sure which model would be more suitable for my room. It will be in a home cinema set-up so DCT (floorstanders) front and DC back (stand mounted). My room has odd shape as below.

As you can see it has upside-down L shape but of course I will be positioning speakers in rectangular shape so like the whole room is 3.50m wide, not sure where is the best place for sub in that shape of room though.

For that size of room which model would be better for the fronts? I presume I can go for series 4 for the back as size it’s not that important there, am I right? Would they work together nicely? I would appreciate all advice, especially from people who are owners of Tannoy’s or heard them before.

Thank you very much for all help in advance.

Regards,

stone28

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I briefly had the DC4T with the DC4 and DCRLCR but was very disappointed in the sound. They were lifeless to me. The centre is a cracker though. I was advised to change the DC4T to DC6T (I have a modestly sized living room) but I didn't think that these would improve the overall sound, so returned them. To this end, in your large room, I would look at the DC6T up front. Also the DC4 rears are so small they barely covered the plates on my stands.

I would definitely recommend a demo though as I went with reviews and online opinion and bought blind over the internet. I won't buy speakers this way again!

A

Anonymous

Thanks,

you bought them on-line and you returned them? Was there any problem with doing that? Hmmmm, that's really bad as I was really convinced to buy them (just like you - only based on the on-line and WHF reviews)..... The problem is that I am not sure where to go to listen to them. I am based in London so I am sure there are places. Of course ideal would be to listen them and maybe B&W 654 at home but that's probably impossible. You have to buy first.... I don't know.... I don't know any place which has both of these speakers in store.

A

Anonymous

I have the Rev Sig DC4Ts, LCR and DC4 rears. I love them! That said, for a spend of £2,000 I would strongly urge you to demo them and others.

In terms of the DC4T or DC6T for fronts...I think you might be better going for the DC6Ts, the DC4s will be fine as rears if you are going to be that close. Yes they do have a small footprint, but they pack a great punch and I thoguht they were extremely detailed. I wish I had gone for the DC6Ts...not that I need them in my room, I sit a lot closer than you and the DCT4s do I great job of filling it...but just because I think the DC6Ts are even nicer to look at than the 4s! Despite being bigger, they are still remarkably compact for what they produce.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
There is a big step up between the 4's and the 6's and depenidng on your amplfication you will really appreciate the difference. The range is very strong and you can get excellent results from each model. The SC range of amplifiers from Pioneer or one of the higher end Yamaha's would be a good starting point.

You can happily go for DC4's at the back or consider Arena 500's or standard Arena's if you wish to wall mount.

As for your sub ( depending on the model ) I would look to place it within the main rectangle of your listening area at the front. Ideally closer to the right hand wall than the void on the left.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys,

And yeh, Pioneer amp is the one I am thinking about (as have already Pioneer stuff, TV and B-Ray). Really wanted SC81 but now there is 82 in stores so not sure.

With Auditioning them I found one place in London (close to Victoria) which specializes in Tannoy's but their listening area is #$%@... Like one square meter. How can I compare that to my room? No similarities at all. You like sit there in front of the speaker like half a meter! I don't think it will give me good idea about the speakers. If it would be easier, of course I would like to listen to couple of set-ups and compare, but in reality I don't know how to do it.. Maybe there is something I don't know, places I should go and ask. Not sure, but I know that Tannoys are not available in many places. Am I right?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Pioneer will work a treat with the Tannoys, we installed a lot of SC81s with the Revolution Signature speakers and they always sounded top notch. The 82 improves on the 81 so you will have no concerns about the new model.

As Andrew suggests speak to Tannoy/Pioneer and find a dealer who can let you listen properly, as always a demonstration is the best way to decide.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again,

I will try to email them but I did it before and I remember they gave me only that place I've mentioned...... 2 square meters!!! Maybe something has changed. It was almost a year ago.... But really I don't think that audition "room" (it's not even a room it's in the corridor) will give you any help. One meter from speaker everything sounds nice....

A

Anonymous

Like I've said it's a corridor so you can measure it even probably as 4 sq m ;-) The way you sit and the speakers are positioned is more like like in my earlier post - 1 sq m....

A

Anonymous

Taking into account your hesitancy I would certainly audition the DC6T's. I have the DC6T's as part of a DC6 set-up (but with arena highline rears). They match the LX81 (and I am sure the LX82 as well) very well (needed a few days to run in). They look gorgeous too.

You may need to be prepared to travel a little to find someone who can demo them for you, but I have no complaints at all.

A

Anonymous

Anybody knows who is selling them in Tottenham Cours Road in London. I found only one place and the salles guy wasn't really helpful. He just told me that they sell only DC4T not DC6T. I asked if you can order them he said no (without even looking at me). I don't get it, how places like that do business these days. Knowing that in TCR you can always get better price then on the sticker I asked for the best price he can do for SC-LX 82 and he told me it's on the sticker ;-) which was £1850! It's like RPP almost I think... Guys in every other place of course were giving me better prices but that guy wasn't interested in selling anything. Ufff. Sorry for going of the subject.

So anybody knows the place in Tottenham Court Road which is selling Tannoy speakers? I am hoping it wasn't the only one.

Thanks,

stone28

A

Anonymous

I tried the Tannoy DC6Ts at Bartletts Hi Fi on Holloway road, they
have a great demo room. they also had DC4T, DC6, DC4. I called Tannoy
and there is another shop near Victoria called Hifi Confidential that also
supplies them apparently.

I thought the DC6T's upper mid range was too much, a very dry sound but they did have
a fair bit of detail.

I actually prefered the MA RX6, they are
cheaper, maybe not quite as detailed but much easier to listen to with all sorts of music. The
PMC TB2is are a similar price to the DC6T but sounded leagues ahead in
every way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts