Tannoy Precision 6.4

hughesfleming

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I would love to get some opinions about these from anyone who owns them or has demoed them.

I noticed on the Tannoy website that these are not rear ported and that they specifically mention that this would allow them to work well closer to walls. I guess this is relative to the Precision 6.2 but am I correct to assume this? I am also curious about the tonality. I have only heard the DC8T which I thought were very good but too large. I am looking for a speaker that is slightly on the warm side of neutral to match with an Onkyo a-9000r.

Thanks

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I've heard them with Cyrus 8xp series....to be honest it didn't really move me, I thought the pairing was too analytical and sounded very dry and will probably give someone ear fatigue after some time. The pairing might not have been ideal though so if you are looking at these speakers maybe try warmer amplification but imho you should forget about pairing them with bright electronics. FWIW I don't think these speakers are on the warm side of neutral. Hope this helps.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I heard the 6.4s, driven by a Pathos Classic MkIII and fed vinyl (don't ask about the TT, don't know anything about those). To my ears, the combo was rather pale and analytical. We listened right after a Unico CD - Simply Italy amp - Focal 807V speaker combination and the contrast was striking. I don't think the TT nor the amp can be labelled analytical, so...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Is Focal available where you live? The 826W might be worth an audition. They're warmer than the Tannoys, more or less the same price bracket, and have a front-firing and a down-firing port: not too critical for placement. If they suit your taste (sonically and aesthetically),of course.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts