Tannoy or Kef?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all.I like these speakers Kef Q5 ,TANNOY SENSYS 2 , and i want to buy one of them as soon as possible but i dont know which is better.I will try them next week but before i need your advice and opinions.And also i am going to buy amplifier .I have seen in richer sound few marantz amplifier PM4000 and PM4001 for good price.Would one of these drive those speakers well?Or which other amplifier would you recommend?My budget is £200 (for amplifier)

A

Anonymous

ok i dont know how much u wanna spend but the sensis are not the best performing speakers ever as both sensis dc1 and 2 have a 4 star rating now if u wanna go down the tannoy eay richer sounds is selling ( im buing them tomorrow so i can tell u how they go)tannoy eyris 2 usualy £1000 for £499.99 or £549.99 with a 5 year guarantee i've audition them a couple of times before and i say i would not spend £1000 on them but they're more then worth the 500 quid good luck mate anyway

A

Anonymous

Thank you sex.Yes, let me know how they perform anyway,but it is over my budget.I can t spend more than £300 on the speakers that is why i am thinking about the kef Q5.What do you think about the Kef Q5?and what amplifier for the kef up to £200.

A

Anonymous

kef q5 are good aswell if they are in your budget, amp wise £200 is not much so u wont get much i would save up some more and get something to match the kef q5 sound and build quality.£300 will get u a 640 v2 azur cambridge audio i own 1 and i cant find nothing wrong with it apart the that i dont go as loud as i like but tht just me

A

Anonymous

You know that is maximum what i can spend on amplifier.£200.You know family and ....so at this moment this is the max..Do you know about something up to £200 which will drive those Kef s as good as it can for that price?

A

Anonymous

£200 it is then just go on to http://www.richersounds.com/productlist.php?cda=productlist&sgroup=AMPLIFIERS&sort=price&pg=2&hidethumbs=false take your pick mate good luck by the way and ask the friendly richer sounds staff to give u a audition of your kef q5 with the amp u will be buyng

A

Anonymous

Thank you for help.What you recommend how many watt per channel should be minimum the amplifier to drive the Q5?

A

Anonymous

the more the marier mate but lots of watts and no sound quality is no good so look to get as much power but as much quality 40 watts will drive the kef q5's but wont drive them as well as 100 wats thats y i was insisting on somthing a bit more expensive i think u should try second hand for the amp and see wat u find mate dont rush you know wat i mean u'll end up wit somthing u'll regret getting any more questions i dont mind answering i got the day off tomorror so shoot mate

A

Anonymous

[quote user="sex"] getting any more questions i dont mind answering i got the day off tomorror so shoot mate[/quote]

thank you!

I Know what you mean with that power and quality but if i ask you which brand and which models should be on my short list,which amplifiers would you recommend from that range?

A

Anonymous

i really dont know mate and im not about to lie to u about it.
But the good news is that i just spoted the kef Q5 have a sensitivity (Db) of 91! The higher the figure the easier the speaker is to drive - meaning a lower powered amp may be used.
i still recon second hand is a good bet as amps have almost no moving parts so are harder to break £200 could get u a good amp and i mean good take a look on gumtree and secondhand shops dont rush and if u can always audition the gear u will/may buy with the same speakers if possible .amd as andrew would say "any modern amp will drive any modern speakers" i got my first amp second hand for £180 it was a kenwood ka2030 and i still have it i will drive anything sound wise it is good compared to amps of today

A

Anonymous

The kef Q5 is a fine speaker indeed, I have a friend who has a pair & the sound they give is fantastic. Well defined, well balanced & good detail. As for the type of amplifier for a limit of £200 I personally would recommend the NAD C320BEE or the Marantz PM4001 Both a cracking bit of kit for the money & also have more then enough power to drive the Q5's.

A

Anonymous

Thank you guys.Thank you JPOK1000 for your advice.I think the marantz is a nicely build ,good quality amplifier and i hope it will drive nicely those kefs.I am so excited to bring them home and to have them in my room.This will be my first serios system.But before i buy them a will try them in a near richer sound store and I let you know for sure about how it go.But i am not sure about the power of that marantz,because somewhere i have seen 30w/pc and somewhere 40w/c.?And also is not clear for me what is the different between Marantz PM4001 and Marantz PM4001OSE?Sex-Anyway ,do you have your new speakers?How They go?

A

Anonymous

Hi there

Just sending my Q5's to my mother. Have just moved to an apartment and while they physically fit, well just about, the sound is much distorted and the bass travels down my wood floor down to the entire ground floor of the building - lots of un-happy neighbors has to be said. Just gone for the B&W 686's.

I was using the KEF Q5's with a Cambridge Audio AZUR 340A SE which I bought open-box from Richer Sounds back in May for £167 down from £199.95. Bargain. Does the job just right. 2 sets of outputs for Bi-Wiring/Amping which the Q5's really do need! I auditioned the a few Marantz and wasn't as impressed as I have been with the CA.

Can't go far wrong with the Q5's and CA 340A SE - although placement is critical with all floorstander type speakers. And cabling does make a difference. The Q5's are a tad too warm with the GALE Bi-Wire at RS.

Good luck ;-)

A

Anonymous

ok la i went down richer's today and they didnt have the tannoy in walnut so they having them sent over from the chelsea brunch to ealing and then to my house by wed ,free delivery by the way

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JustJames"]

the sound is much distorted

[/quote]

Hi JustJames.What it means?Tell me something more about the Q5.What about the bass quality,and sound stage..?Is it worth that price (£300)?

A

Anonymous

dont worry la the q5's are good realy good for £300 i would have got them but i have more cash so im splashing out mate

A

Anonymous

Oh nothing wrong with them in a larger room and where they can be say half a meter from each wall - avoiding corners.

They are subperb - very good imaging and a wide soundstage - the high frequencies are not in your face but are ever so detailed. The bass is very welcome and rounded - substantial enough without distortion at high level listening. They do take some driving though, not so happy with low-end amps. And regardless of some opinions they do take some wearing-in, noticeable difference after say 35 hours on these and slightly longer on the amp.

I am sure you will fall in love as I did.

A

Anonymous

I was today at the richer sound store but unfortunetly they dont have on the stock and not even in the warehouse.Also sevenoaks they sold today the last one.Friday i have audition with Kef IQ5.What is the difference between the Q5 and IQ5?How long is the Q5 on the market?I mean how old is this model Q5?

A

Anonymous

ok la the q5's are a year hold i think but im not 110% sure, they won the 5 star award forthe £400 range again not sure and got ko by the br5's this year again i think

A

Anonymous

[quote user="La"]

I was today at the richer sound store but unfortunetly they dont have on the stock and not even in the warehouse.Also sevenoaks they sold today the last one.Friday i have audition with Kef IQ5.What is the difference between the Q5 and IQ5?How long is the Q5 on the market?I mean how old is this model Q5?

[/quote]

The Richer Sounds store here in Plymouth have them ;-)

It is most peoples opinion that the iQ5's are not as good as the old Q5's. Probably just personal preference as it is with most hi-fi.

Hope you soon find the iQ or Q.

A

Anonymous

Thank you sex and justjames.Unfortunetly plymouth is too far from croydon.I like more the Q5 design and i hope i will buy them soon.The only thing what i can do is to wait until they will have.Even on the internet is out of stock ;-(

A

Anonymous

Strange! I called and visited the richer sound but they dont have any,and they do not know if they will get anymore.What is going on ?This is the finish of the Q5 ? If i wont get any Q5 i will buy the IQ5.But what is the difference between them?Is the IQ5 better because of higher price?

A

Anonymous

richer in ealing is got some mate. in the words of iron maiden " be quik or be dead !!! "

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts