Tannoy HTS Subwoofer Blowing Fuses

LangKamar

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a Tannoy HTS Subwoofer, the one that comes with the HTS-101 range; and it keeps on blowing it's fuses.

I've potentially managed to narrow down where the issue is. I replace the fuses, and the sub is powers on without issue. The issue comes when I input my sub cable into the the "line input" port. Whenever i plug in a cable, the fuse blows and the unit powers down.

Any ideas please?

Thank you

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes you can get a big surge when you plug a source feed into an already plugged in amplifier (think rock concerts and the guitarist changing guitars).
Do all this with the volume set to ZERO, then SLOWLY turn up the volume.
Make sure, by the way, you've got the subwoofer output (RCA plug and socket) connected to the RCA input on the sub. My seventeen year old blew his receiver and sub as well (probably) earlier this year when he hooked up a speaker output from the receiver to an RCA input on the sub. Speaker voltages can be up to 50 volts (into 8 ohms that gives about 300 watts if my sums are right), whereas RCA voltages normally dont go above 5 volts.
If that doesn't stop the fuses blowing, you've got bigger problems. You may have a short circuit or a blown power amp or even a blown speaker.
If the unit is still under guarantee, take it back to the retailer.
If not, and if you're electrically skilled, you could open the unit up and investigate, or have a local TV repair man do it for you.
Otherwise, your sub is only useful for keeping a door open.
Sorry.

TRENDING THREADS