Tannoy DC6T, without subwoofer?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm setting up a dedicated home-cinema 6.4x2.7m. I'm considering buying two pairs of Tannoy DC6T, because they seem to be the best option price/quality (980€/pair). After upgrading the 4 mainspeakers, I'm sure my current center won't be a good match, so I'll have to spend another 850€ for the Tannoy DC6 LCR (perfect match, just too bad that it isn't a bargain).

I didn't hear the speakers, because no store nearby carries them :(

My question is: with a frequency response of 34Hz-35KHz, is it safe to assume that I can do without a subwoofer? If not, any suggestion about what subwoofer would be a good match, or what price-class I should look at?
The obvious reason for not buying a sub is that that those Tannoy already exceed my budget.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

F

FunkyMonkey

I have the relatively baby DC2's and DCC set up. I don't NEED a sub, but I have one because it takes the low frequency burden away from the speakers, freeign up for the sublime mid and upper range that Tannoy excel at.

However, don't skimp. Just get one or two decent subs when you can afford them.

A

Anonymous

You won't get ground-shaking bass out of these speakers, although they do go deep. They have a presentation that I find very well suited to films - fast and dynamic. A sub is about "feeling" the low frequencies as much as hearing them and you won't get this from the Tannoys. They are great speakers and I personally love them for both films and music. I would start with the DC6T speakers and go from there, perhaps adding a sub at a later date.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
The DC6T have better bass response of course than the smaller DC4T and are ample for music and movies providing you have them in a reasonably sized room (not too large) with good furnishings (curtains, books, anything else to soak up sound waves).

Having said that, you'll always benefit massively with movies from having a separate sub - as suggested you could always add one later though.

A

Anonymous

Can I ask why you are buying 4 DC6T's?

I'm assuming one pair is for use as rear speakers?

I have the DC6T's and a DC6LCR, and I can heartily reccommend them but I think you will get away with a much less powerful (and therefore cheaper) speaker for the rears. I am sure the DC4's will be more than sufficient. That will free up a but of cash to put towards a sub.

In short, no you don't NEED a sub. I ran my first home cinema system without a sub for ages but they do add a lot when watching crash bang wallop movies. You won't notice the lack of one when watching the news, but you certainly will when watching films with exposions in and the like.

And that goes for all speakers, regaredless of cost. Not just the tannoys.

Oh and the Tannoys take a lot of running in, so dont form your opinion on them until they have had several weeks worth of fairly regular use.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You're right, I'm buying 4 DC6Ts (front+rear). The reason is that my current setup uses satelite speakers, and I dislike the huge difference with the front/center speaker. I'm quite sure a low-cost Jamo can't be compared with these Tannoy, but in any case, the Tannoy Towers or on discount and the others aren't. So the tower costs 980?/pair and the stand 1170?/pair.

DC4Stand is on discount at 485?, and the tower at 835?. I feel that the stand would hold back the quality, and the tower for just 145? difference isn't worth it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts