Tall narrow speakers on thick carpets

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Back in March, i bought a new pair of speakers - Quadral Chromium Style 8s. The come with attached plinths of the same cross-section that have rubber feet. As terrific as they are, their stability was less than brilliant so contemplated buying a pair of paving slabs to rest on the carpet below them. A friend came over with a Tesco's granite "worktop saver". They are 20mm thick and overlapped the speaker by ~28mm on all sides. I bought a 2nd one for £14 so £28. The Quadrals are a hell of a lot less wobbly. The bass has tightened up so much, I had to move them back a bit. Unexpectedly, the imaging has improved. Job done!

The display on my new Primare preamp started flickering - got collected & returned with a new display fitted by Karma within a week. Thanks Richard of Audiologica for sorting me out quickly!

plastic penguin said:
This was the only reason I didn't purchase Totem Arros. So narrow they could easily be toppled. At £1200 (at the time) was a lot of dough for something that could be easily damaged.

Quite so, I see a lot of manufacturers now use bases with outrigger-type feet, perhaps this should be more common in speakers of this type.

DizzyPenguin

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
a lot of manufacturers now use bases with outrigger-type feet

Like so?

On my Monitor Audio Silver 6

Silver-6-oak.jpg

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
This was the only reason I didn't purchase Totem Arros. So narrow they could easily be toppled. At £1200 (at the time) was a lot of dough for something that could be easily damaged.

At least the plinths were spiked. WHF were very unimpressed with BluTak'ing them. I filled mine with 2kg of sand then added 2kg of lead shot - they ended up being fairly stable. The new owner (who brought the 1st saver round) has wooden flooring on top of concrete but the spikes are on something to protect the floor. They are pretty stable. What the Arros were particularly good at was imaging & speed. Their build quality was v high as well. The new owner is very happy with them.

I thought the Arros were v good until I bought the Quadrals - I realised how much modern speakers have moved forward since then. The new speakers have a lot more detail & bass heft.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Do you stick the speakers to the granite with blu-tak or black-tak or just leave them sitting on top?

the Quadrals are just resting on the slabs. I haven't tipped them enough to work out the plinth arrangement. No spikes.

The slabs are pretty heavy, thicker than anything else I've seen & are 400x300x18mm & fairly highly polished on 5 sides whilst looking far nicer than paving slabs would have done without increasing the height of the tweeters too much.

You can get dual adjustable out-riggers with spikes but are £300+. Another friend has fully active Linn Magik 140s where the dedicated plinths cost an extra £500 (ish).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
busb said:
BigH said:
Do you stick the speakers to the granite with blu-tak or black-tak or just leave them sitting on top?

the Quadrals are just resting on the slabs. I haven't tipped them enough to work out the plinth arrangement. No spikes.

The slabs are pretty heavy, thicker than anything else I've seen & are 400x300x18mm & fairly highly polished on 5 sides whilst looking far nicer than paving slabs would have done without increasing the height of the tweeters too much.

You can get dual adjustable out-riggers with spikes but are £300+. Another friend has fully active Linn Magik 140s where the dedicated plinths cost an extra £500 (ish).

I see but you can add weight to your speakers so that is ok, not sure you can to some of those others. Yes mine is 40 x 30 x1.8cms and its heavy. Just thought if you blu-tac them less likely to move about. I use black-tac which is stronger than blu.

busb said:
BigH said:

Making your own extended plates with spiked outriggers is not difficult. I certainly wouldn't pay £300+. Thinking of doing it for my Adagios. There is an American manufacturer that does them for most speakers and one specifically for the Adagios and these are listed as $250 which, even with postage, is still not £300+

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
busb said:
BigH said:

Making your own extended plates with spiked outriggers is not difficult. I certainly wouldn't pay £300+. Thinking of doing it for my Adagios. There is an American manufacturer that does them for most speakers and one specifically for the Adagios and these are listed as $250 which, even with postage, is still not £300+

Soundocity

busb said:
plastic penguin said:

I thought the Arros were v good until I bought the Quadrals - I realised how much modern speakers have moved forward since then. The new speakers have a lot more detail & bass heft.

Yes and no. IMHO you can always find a better speaker if you're prepared to put in the legwork. However, a good speaker will always remain a good speaker, and a hefty part will always boil down to system synergy.

Having heard the Arros a couple of times on home dem and once in a shop dem, they work beautifully with the Leema. having said all that, I wouldn't change my PMCs for anything. A few months ago I gave the Dalewintonlookalikeconed Kefs a whirl. They were very good indeed, but lacked a little something over the TB2is. Difficult to pin-point why.

Anyhoo, for a very compact floorstander the Arros are hard to beat. Big bass isn't really my bag...

busb said:
Al ears said:
busb said:
BigH said:

Soundocity

That's the place....

K

keeper of the quays

If you use spiked stands..and have a wooden floor? It's best the spikes go straight into floor through carpet...by using a granite slice? It's no slab! Your causing a ringing effect..if you were to remove the granite after a few weeks? This after your expectation bias subsides somewhat! You may find a improvement!! Lol...your expectation bias is very strong..use granite slices for serving cheese or expensive coaster..

keeper of the quays said:
If you use spiked stands..and have a wooden floor? It's best the spikes go straight into floor through carpet...by using a granite slice? It's no slab! Your causing a ringing effect..if you were to remove the granite after a few weeks? This after your expectation bias subsides somewhat! You may find a improvement!! Lol...your expectation bias is very strong..use granite slices for serving cheese or expensive coaster..

Expectation bias? What the hell has that got to do with this thread?

The discussion is on stability and whether or not mounting speakers to slabs helps improve this on a carpeted floor with speakers of a narrow profile.

Get it together there..... :)

P.S.. Marble is infinitely better than granite when it comes to cheese serving.

K

keeper of the quays

Al ears said:

The discussion is on stability and whether or not mounting speakers to slabs helps improve this on a carpeted floor with speakers of a narrow profile.

Get it together there.....   :)

Think I'm in the zone? Op mentioned a apparent improvement in bass? My view is this is illusory! And if the Op changed it back a few weeks later he may imagine another improvement? This is expectation bias...theres a reason why spikes are pointed and fix into the wooden floor...

K

keeper of the quays

Al ears said:

Think I'm in the zone? Op mentioned a apparent improvement in bass? My view is this is illusory! And if the Op changed it back a few weeks later he may imagine another improvement? This is expectation bias...theres a reason why spikes are pointed and fix into the wooden floor...
I find my bamboo chopping board ok for serving cheese..pont Leveque is smelly but yummy.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:

Get it together there..... :)

Did not think you believed in expectation bias.

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
Al ears said:

Did not think you believed in expectation bias.
I don't but I expect to?

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I had to read your clarification in another post to unsterstand what the hell you were on about here! You actually do make one very valid point - change something back as a reality check to see if returning to a certain point degrades instead. I always do that with cables.

I think I pointed out in my original post that the 1st thing I noticed was an unexpected improvement with imaging rather than bass. So much for expectation bias. These granite "slices" supposedly weigh 4.5kg each. As for bass, I've largely tuned it back by moving the speakers towards the wall.

As an aside I know what my personality defect is - I don't suffer fools as gracefully as some more patient souls. Do yo actually know what yours are?

K

keeper of the quays

busb said:

I had to read your clarification in another post to unsterstand what the hell you were on about here! You actually do make one very valid point - change something back as a reality check to see if returning to a certain point degrades instead. I always do that with cables.

I think I pointed out in my original post that the 1st thing I noticed was an unexpected improvement with imaging rather than bass. So much for expectation bias. These granite "slices" supposedly weigh 4.5kg each. As for bass, I've largely tuned it back by moving the speakers towards the wall. 

As an aside I know what my personality defect is - I don't suffer fools as gracefully as some more patient souls. Do yo actually know what yours are?

thank you for seeing my point had some validity..apologies for mistaking bass expansion for imaging! I consider myself reprimanded...regarding suffering fools? Are you talking about the ones who can't write without resorting to various expletives! As they can't be bothered to actually think? I find these type of people rather silly and better placed in a football stadium!I think even fools have something to teach us..even you! So I always listen carefully to my peers and to the great unwashed! No one should be deprived of the joy of hifi...as you have gathered by now busb? The keeper is and remains peerless..just in case you were fretting about this? As I can see your a gentle sensitive soul..and that cloak sits well on you sir.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts