Tacima mains conditioner

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Well i thought the same but it did seem to get better, but as someone mentioned before is it just our ears getting used to it?

A

Anonymous

chebby:
I am trying out wireless mains transmission.....

tesla.jpg
ÿ

ÿ

O got to get me some of that! Can you fit a Wattgate to it? haha

A

Anonymous

Nah! We know if it sounds rough or not. Our ears are the best stereo pick ups ever made!!!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
al7478:chebby:

aliEnRIK:Take into consideration that the tacima is really only designed for low wattage components. Your not supposed to plug amps etc in it

Assuming you mean the Tacima CS929, then the manufacturer states it is suitable for 13 amp use...

http://www.tacima.com/mains_cond_cs929.html

This means it should as safe as any other 13 amp extension with equipment drawing up to a total of 3 kilowatts. A typical collection of hifi components - including most amps - should be fine. (Sources don't draw much power.)

I doubt most domestic hifi amps draw anything like that much. If in doubt, this info is normally printed clearly on the back.

Phew.

Still, i should get contents insurance...

Incidentally, it may be good if people made clear whether they just think it wouldnt sound good, or, for the technically backward and electrically nervous like me, whether it could actuallty be very damaging to your equipment and/or home.

I mean, now i know, but thanks for almost inducing a connery.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The sewage man:
Lo and behold, I have just bought one myself.

Iÿplugged it in yesterday for the first time, and it has made a definite sound change to my system and I do not like it.ÿ The bass has become fuller , but theÿmid range and vocals have changed.ÿ When you turn the volume up the vocals become how can I sayÿ...ummm moreÿtrebly. Brighter sounding!!!ÿ Will itÿimprove?ÿ If so when?ÿ

I have an Onkyo Amp, QED Revelation speaker wire and Mourdant Short Mezzo 6 Floor standers.ÿ Should I go back to a standard lead, or will the sound quality improve???

Give it a few days.

And then change your amp.

ÿ

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
renny:I have just received a new Tacima mains conditioner as recommended by What HiFi. Unfortunately the sound seems thinner and the mid-range, especially vocals have lost warmth and tend to sound slightly mechanical. My question is, Do they need time to 'run-in'? Thanks.

A friend bought one of these and found exactly the same result....he now has a lamp and printer plugged into it.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
For what it's worth....

My 929 arrived today and immediately things sound sharper, have lost bass depth and punch, and while clear, are more clinical and unpleasant to listen to. A definite backwards step. Perhaps this will improve with use, but if not it's going elsewhere in the house

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
The product is still relevant though, and despite being a member here I came across this thread from a Google search, so it could be useful for someone else searching. Sometimes people want to dip in and out of forums for advice without being a regular member, so information like this is useful to a lot of people, helping them make a better informed decision

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Gibs_MK said:
For what it's worth....

My 929 arrived today and immediately things sound sharper, have lost bass depth and punch, and while clear, are more clinical and unpleasant to listen to. A definite backwards step. Perhaps this will improve with use, but if not it's going elsewhere in the house

Have you plugged the amp into it? If so, don't.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gibs_MK said:
The product is still relevant though, and despite being a member here I came across this thread from a Google search, so it could be useful for someone else searching. Sometimes people want to dip in and out of forums for advice without being a regular member, so information like this is useful to a lot of people, helping them make a better informed decision

I bought into the hype and didn't like it for many of the reasons mentioned....I got much better results with mains cables from Clearer Audio.

IMO Decent mains conditioning can't be done cheaply.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Cyril Mason:They neither need time to run in or affect sound quality.

Hate to 'scuttle' your statement, 'Cyril', but it should be 'nor', not 'or'
Jeez what are you, the consulting editor of a magazine? ;)

A

Anonymous

My dac is plugged in to a tacima, my amp is plugged into the mains as it did sound like a muzzle had been placed over it.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Have you plugged the amp into it? If so, don't.

Ah yes, I forgot to say in my original post, both amp and cd player are in currently. I'll do a like for like comparison on Thursday (No Tacima/CDP into Tacima/CDP+amp into Tacima). I need to run the speakers in anyway so I'll keep it plugged in until then. As for the mains cables, both amp and cdp are hardwired so I can't experiment with these

SteveR750

Made bigger all difference to my system. I use it because I need to split the power into several devices, the amp is straight into the wall. However, when I plug my steam iron into the other one I have in the house, I am sure that my shirts come out crisper :)

Sliced Bread

I have did not notice any run in period with mine, but they certainly do make a difference to the sound. My system sounded cleaner however as drimmerman said, some users feel that it...
drummerman said:
...it can stifle dynamics and rob impact

...when used with amplifiers. This may explain your perceived thining of the sound.

As with most things in hifi, it depends on personal taste and what your using it with.

It's worth giving it a chance, however it just may not be your bag.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Sean Connery's agent gives him a call about a new movie:

“Sean, I’ve got some guys who want to meet you tomorrow to discuss a film. But they want you there pretty early....about… ten-ish?”

“Tennish? But I don't even have a racquet”

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Years ago I found out completely by accident that unplugging other electrical items from an extension socket made the sound more detailed and bass more tuneful. I was just moving other bits to make some space and stumbled upon the discovery. This Tacima seemed like a logical step as a result

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts