• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Tablet choice

grosspete

New member
Sep 18, 2017
5
0
0
Hi! Was thinking of buying a tablet, is there anything decent and more affordable than Samsung? I need it mostly for watching movies, scrolling the web and emails. Any advice appreciated :)
 

jjbomber

Well-known member
Dec 22, 2006
623
190
19,070
grosspete said:
Hi! Was thinking of buying a tablet, is there anything decent and more affordable than Samsung? I need it mostly for watching movies, scrolling the web and emails. Any advice appreciated :)
I work with a computer geek and 90% of what he says is a different language to me. He even has a Russian phone with screens on both sides for programming games. He hopes to move from programming to a games director, which is like a film director but for computer games. He really is a nerd!

Anyway, straight from the horse's mouth, the best is the Microsoft Surface PRO. He then explained explained in computer terms that us mere mortals don't understand how Apple and Samsung are on a race to the bottom, with over half their power being wasted on bloatware and picture enhancements that actually make things worse. He says the Microsoft PRO is way ahead.

Incidently, he uses my mobile phone to do my work for me. If you have ever seen an octopus on heat ....
 

grosspete

New member
Sep 18, 2017
5
0
0
Joe Cox said:
Have you looked at Amazon tablets? The new Fire HD 10 looks promising for £150.
It does look good. I somehow didn't pay attention to it, but seems to be really worthy for the price. Thank you, Joe
 

grosspete

New member
Sep 18, 2017
5
0
0
jjbomber said:
grosspete said:
Hi! Was thinking of buying a tablet, is there anything decent and more affordable than Samsung? I need it mostly for watching movies, scrolling the web and emails. Any advice appreciated :)
I work with a computer geek and 90% of what he says is a different language to me. He even has a Russian phone with screens on both sides for programming games. He hopes to move from programming to a games director, which is like a film director but for computer games. He really is a nerd!

Anyway, straight from the horse's mouth, the best is the Microsoft Surface PRO. He then explained explained in computer terms that us mere mortals don't understand how Apple and Samsung are on a race to the bottom, with over half their power being wasted on bloatware and picture enhancements that actually make things worse. He says the Microsoft PRO is way ahead.

Incidently, he uses my mobile phone to do my work for me. If you have ever seen an octopus on heat ....
Wow jjbomber, thanks! your friend is an ubergeek :D That's why I'm afraid to talk to sales people when choosing a phone or something, I feel like buried under an avalanche when they start giving characteristics and describing how they work. Microsoft seems to be a really cool item, but it's out of my price range :( and guess I won't use it to the full anyway.
 

jjbomber

Well-known member
Dec 22, 2006
623
190
19,070
grosspete said:
That's why I'm afraid to talk to sales people when choosing a phone or something,
Wileyfox are the best for mobile phones for ''normal people''. They are MADE IN BRITAIN. Yes, shout it from the rooftops. The best value mobile phones are Made In Britain. You can buy Wileyfox direct from the company on their own website. I actually have a OnePlus but my computer nerd tells me that Wileyfox is what I should have!

I'm working with him again tomorrow.
 

daveh75

Well-known member
Jul 31, 2008
564
3
18,895
jjbomber said:
grosspete said:
That's why I'm afraid to talk to sales people when choosing a phone or something, 
Wileyfox are the best for mobile phones for ''normal people''. They are MADE IN BRITAIN. Yes, shout it from the rooftops. The best value mobile phones are Made In Britain. You can buy Wileyfox direct from the company on their own website. I actually have a OnePlus but my computer nerd tells me that Wileyfox is what I should have!

I'm working with him again tomorrow. 
THEY ARE NOT MADE IN BRiTAIN!!!

They're a British company, headquartered in London, but the H/W is 'engineered' in Europe and manufactured in China.

https://www.wileyfox.com/faqs

The spy/ad/bloatware they install rather detracts from their 'mission' IMO.

And frankly I'd stop sharing your 'computer geeks' advice, since it's been utter horseshit so far...
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts