System Upgrade?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Hi

Current system: Marantz PM7200 Amp, Sony CDP XB930 CD, Quad 11 Speakers,Bi-Wired with QED Silver Anniversary,Van Den

Hull Connects( Unsure of model,bought for £30 quid a few years ago)

Anyway,thinking of upgrading system.

Looking at the Marantz PM 6003 AMP/CD combo as got good reviews and I like Marantz kit, with perhaps a speaker cable &

connects upgrade as well

Any thoughts on selection of kit against current stuff?

Would welcome comments

A

Anonymous

The Marantz 6003 sounds like a downgrade compared to what you already have.

T

the record spot

Seconded, you'd need to look further up the scale rather than a backwards, or at best, sideways move. You might get a different sound, but it won't build on where you are now. Nice kit though; SACD/CD player in the Sony. I see there 5400ES SACD/CDP has been dropped to £900 in Play (if there's any left). No means to try it out, but you can return thanks to distance selling regs within 14 days if you don't like it. Applies to almost anything bought off a web retailer really (with some exceptions).

I'm with the others on this one: the Marantz SA-7200 was (and still is) a very good amp with loads of power. The Quads are very capable - if a tad bright - speaker. The weak link in the chain is the CDP. I would suggest something like Exposure 2010S, although has recently been replaced by the MKII model, is still immensely good. You can pick these up for around £400 s/hand.

A

Anonymous

I actually think the Sony CDP is pretty good. Maybe you could try adding a DAC for a different sound (such as Caiman, V-Dac or DacMagic. I would try changing the speakers if you want the most impact/upgrade to the sound and lastly the cables IMO.

A

Anonymous

if the amp/cdp is working well, audition different speakers ... that would be the biggest upgrade IMO

also look at connecting you hifi to spotify or similar

.... and don't spend too much on cables

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
To add a little more bass punch, I would ditch the QED cable and use a 6mm copper cable. A very cheap potential cheap upgrade, in fact you could make a few quid by selling the QED cable on ebay.

Unless, of course you like a brighter sound.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice,folks

General concensus seems to be keep the amp and perhaps speakers,maybe look at

upgrading the cd player and connections

Would the Cyrus CD player be a good choice,seems to win all the awards or would it be

too good for my system, if you know what I mean!

Chord cable and connects have been recommended, anything else I should look at?

I am reasonably happy with sound, plenty enough base for me,wondering if by changing

cd/cable/connects could improve quality.

While I am here!

Just bought my first Ipod classic,keen to use with my hifi,what would be best way of

connecting to system?

See that the GQ25 Interconnects are recommended,good choice or is there better+

A

Anonymous

Hi Matt

I presume that you meant the Marantz SACD8003,ABOUT £750 at the moment.

Would this be a big improvement on the Sony ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts