Hi,

I'm currently looking to upgrade my set-up which currently consists of:

CD8x - CD Player + PSX-R power supply

8vs Amplifier + PSX-R power supply

Monitor Audio Silver 8i - Floorstanding Speakers

Cyrus interconnect + Chord Rumor Bi-Wire

Russ Andrews Classic powercords on CD & Amp + Russ Andrews 6 Way Silencer Block

Listening room: 5m long x 4.5m wide

I've just placed my order for the Cyrus 8 Power Amp. Should I consider adding another PSX-R to this unit?

Next on my list is a new set of speakers and possibly speaker cable. I currently have the ProAc Studio 140's and Cyrus speaker cable on home trial. The improvement to the overall sound is good, the detail this Cyrus/ProAc kit can dig up is amazing, but it seems a little too bright in the mid/top end compared to my current set-up.

Will the 8 Power help to take the shine off things? or should I try some different speakers or cable? or do I need to give the speakers more time to run in?

My budget is around £2000.

Any tips much appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Bear in mind that you've had your speakers for a good while, and so the added information you're getting from the ProAcs might suggest they're a bit bright. I reckon some more bedding in time would be useful before you make a final decision.
And another PSX-R for the power amp? I'd live with it for a while, get used to what it's doing, then ask your dealer - you seem like a good Cyrus customer! - if you can borrow another PSX-R for a listen over a weekend or whatever.

Alternative speakers? If it was me I'd be thinking PMCs, but then I use them at home and really like them. The GB1s or FB1+ speakers would work rather nicely with your set-up...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice Andrew, I'll see if I can get hold of set of PMC's. You might be right about the ProAc's, I've been listening to them for 3 or 4 days now and their openess is starting to grow on me. I should have the power amp before the end of this week, I'm hoping that will add more power/density to the mid range. What do you think?

"Good Cyrus customer" - Yes, I like the sound of the Cyrus kit, I like to listen to many different music genres and their kit is ideal for this, especially for the blues, smooth jazz and classical.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I think the power amp will help in the ways you hope.The bit about being a good customer was merely meant to suggest that any dealer would be daft not to let you try the PSX-R at home after the money you've clearly spent - it's one of the reasons we encourage readers to build a relationship with a retailer when doing system-building like this, rather than always chasing the lowest price.

A

Anonymous

Well, today I've received the 8 power amp and taking the advice of my dealer, I've set it up in a bi-amp configuration connecting it to the tweeter/HF terminals.

I know it's early days but the improvement to the mid/top end is just what I wanted, the ProAcs are singing beautifully. Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Cello etc sound a lot smoother but the clarity/seperation is still there, perfect!

I'm going to demo the PMC FB1+ on Saturday, if they appeal I'll try to get them on home trial for a few days.

Don't you just love having new toys to play with ;-)) I've got a terrible feeling the bank balance is going to take a serious bashing very soon.

Ian

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew,

I've managed to get the FB1+ on home trial and they sound a lot sweeter compared to the ProAc's, but they tend to be a little lean on the bass. I've noticed in reply to another post you mentioned that you're currently using the OB1, do these have more bass depth? Do they have the same sweet mid/top range? What amp set-up do you run through the OB1's?

Ian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts