System Upgrade - Where to Start ?

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
My current system consists of the Audiolab 8200CD player feeding the Audiolab 8200 Q/P pre/power amps. I have KEF Q500 speakers and the KEF Q400b sub-woofer and a Squeezebox Touch. The components match well and I like the punchy, open interesting sound. I listen to a wide variety of music from The Who to Feist via Jackson Browne. The room is medium sized and well furnished but with wooden floors.
I now have the urge to upgrade with two aims in mind – to improve the clarity and heighten/broaden the soundstage, and to reduce the slightly “over-digital” sound. My dilemma is where to start. I can probably only afford one upgrade this year and think I have two options :

(a) Attack the front end – I like the warmer, more analogue sound of the Rega Saturn CD player, but haven’t been able to hear it with the Audiolab/KEF set-up yet.

(b) Upgrade the Speakers which I feel at the weak link – I like the sound of the ProAc Studio 140’s, PMC GB1i’s and the KEF R500’s, but need to hear them with the Audiolab kit.

My budget would be about £1,200 plus what I can get from the components I upgrade. Would appreciate any views on my logic and on the items I have short-listed so far. Thanks

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Audiolab pairing is very capable and you can get a lot out of it. I would suggest changing the speakers as you will here big improvements/differences there. Do you need the sub and if so are you intending on keeping it with the new set up - not what I would advise.

If you lose the sub I am not sure the GB1's will give you the bottom end you may like - they will improve the top for sure. If you can accomodate a larger speaker your budget should get you to Twenty:23's or FB1's.

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Started my search with a demo yesterday. Heard the KEF R500s with the Audiolabs. Very impressive sound and a huge step up from the Q500s. Better bass and a more balanced sound. Was ready to get the credit card out but decided to listen to the PMC Twenty 23's as a comparison. So glad I did! What a fantastic sound from such small boxes. I love how they look and was blown away by the massive soundstage, and the crystal clear sound. They sound better and sharper than many much larger speakers costing twice as much and coped equally well with Crowded House and the Chemical Brothers. Am convinced they will be the correct next upgrade and am just dithering about which colour to choose. Any other suggestions before I go ahead ?? (Thanks to Nick for pointing me in this direction! )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts