System upgrade - New DAC?

SteveR750

I think the Dacmagic+ is the weak point in my system now, given the quality of the amp and speakers then am thinking that even replacing it for a Rega DAC should remove the ever so slight shoutiness at times. Is it worth considering soemthing more expensive, like the cheaper Chord DACs, does anyone have any experience?

I've listened to the QBD760 and was very impressed indeed, but £3k is way more than i want to spend.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The addition of the Rega DAC in my system has been a revelation!

Im just using it with my cd6004 transport at the minute and get stunning results, have been re discovering all my CDs again, some sound fantastic revealing detail I've not noticed before!

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Was looking at DAC's earlier this year and I liked the Rega but ever so slightly prefered the Audiolab MDAC.
I would try and listen to this with the Rega to see which you prefer.

I also heard the MF DAC and wasn't too impressed bu then heard the Clic streamer and thought that surpassed the quality of the Rega and Audiolab.
I am still confused about this but if you want to look at a streamer/better DAC this could be worth consideration but is twice the price.

Good luck , have fun.

SteveR750

My only concern, which is entirely irational is the relatively undeveloped USB input. I've read a little about Terry Bateman's view of USB which may well be correct, but my ears have already persuaded my head with the dacmagic that USB done properly works pretty damn well, and better than optical. I'd also effectively lose an input, as with the Dacmagic I can connect the PC via USB, the DVD and Humax box via optical; one would have to go with the Rega.

What I really want is the Chord QBD....

afterworks

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I literally just went through this. My Rega arrives tomorrow after demoing that and the M-Dac.

For my system the Rega sung to me. Musical, nice tonal balance and great imaging. The M-Dac was a little aggressive for me.

I couldn't tell in the shop, didn't like the set up they demod them to me on so brought them home. As soon as I did that I could tell them night and day apart. Seriously, get them home and have a play.

I almost bought the M-Dac blind and I'm bloody glad I didn't!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
My only concern, which is entirely irational is the relatively undeveloped USB input. I've read a little about Terry Bateman's view of USB which may well be correct, but my ears have already persuaded my head with the dacmagic that USB done properly works pretty damn well, and better than optical. I'd also effectively lose an input, as with the Dacmagic I can connect the PC via USB, the DVD and Humax box via optical; one would have to go with the Rega.

What I really want is the Chord QBD....

None of your inputs have to go, on Rega DAC you have two coax, two optical and a USB input, ok the USB only alloud 44,1 but otherwise 4 inputs 24/192 capable is Pretty good...

For me the Rega DAC is one special DAC, give me the analogue flavor that i like so much! :dance:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Keerchiiiiing!!

http://www.whathifi.com/review/chord-electronics-qutehd

No contest. I fell in love with the QBD when I hard it last year - it was a bigger improvement than going from a Kandy to the Cyrus 8x pre 2 x monoblocs, but £3k is just tooo much. This is perfect.

I've got several 24/92 recordings so the USB input on the Rega is redundant for me.

... But you lose One input, don't you need 3...?

SteveR750

Found this when googling reviews of the QBD:

I'm not sure if Chord Electronics is a hifi company to worry about. The tacky casework suggests that their market is footballers and the like.

Nice one "Darren", and a mod too....

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
:rofl:
SteveR750 said:

I'm not sure if Chord Electronics is a hifi company to worry about. The tacky casework suggests that their market is footballers and the like.

SteveR750

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
SteveR750 said:
Keerchiiiiing!!

http://www.whathifi.com/review/chord-electronics-qutehd

No contest. I fell in love with the QBD when I hard it last year - it was a bigger improvement than going from a Kandy to the Cyrus 8x pre 2 x monoblocs, but £3k is just tooo much. This is perfect.

I've got several 24/92 recordings so the USB input on the Rega is redundant for me.

... But you lose One input, don't you need 3...?

Maybe, but the sonic improvement is worth the hassle of swapping the DVD / sat box over. TBH, I'd be happy to connect the sat box by phono straight into the amp, seeing as the audio SQ off air is nothing special.

SteveR750

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
SteveR750 said:

Page 4 was even better - apparently all DACs including the QBD have the same proprietry chipsets in them.

TRENDING THREADS