Question System upgrade advice please

Adoe

Jan 20, 2020
Visit site
Upgrading my system - I currently have a Onkyo TX8150 stereo receiver and a pair of Q Acoustics 3050s. What would be a good upgrand why?

scene

Upgrading my system - I currently have a Onkyo TX8150 stereo receiver and a pair of Q Acoustics 3050s. What would be a good upgrand why?
Hi - is there anything you think is wrong/lacking with your existing setup, or have you just been bitten by upgradeitis?

Both your amp and speakers are well reviewed, so would like to understand what you're looking for? Also what sort of budget did you have in mind?

D

Deleted member 108165

What's your budget? What don't you like about your current kit? Expect to spend 3x your original budget to hear a significant difference to what you currently have, if any at all. Do you need a network receiver or would you consider a 2 channel stereo amp?

So many questions? It's not as simple as you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adoe

Jan 20, 2020
Visit site
Hi - is there anything you think is wrong/lacking with your existing setup, or have you just been bitten by upgradeitis?

Both your amp and speakers are well reviewed, so would like to understand what you're looking for? Also what sort of budget did you have in mind?

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I think the UG-ITIS bug bit me. I've got to say I'm pretty darn happy with my set up . The problem is reading reviews, watching Youtubers such as Audiophiliac and it makes you think your system needs an upgrade. I have to confess I don't know what I want to achieve as such. I am somewhat naive in this.
I am thinking about a Sub from BK Electronics as a first port of call.
I'm trying to be an audiophile on a budget, and that is about £1k.

Adoe

Jan 20, 2020
Visit site
What's your budget? What don't you like about your current kit? Expect to spend 3x your original budget to hear a significant difference to what you currently have, if any at all. Do you need a network receiver or would you consider a 2 channel stereo amp?

So many questions? It's not as simple as you think.

Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply. I knew it wasn't simple and that's why I'm here to engage with fine knowledgeable folks like you.
I love my system, it does sound great and your comment re spending 3x has helped because I am happy don't have the crazy budget required and more importantly made me realise I'm searching when I don't need to.
I am however looking at getting a BK Electronics sub

scene

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I think the UG-ITIS bug bit me. I've got to say I'm pretty darn happy with my set up . The problem is reading reviews, watching Youtubers such as Audiophiliac and it makes you think your system needs an upgrade. I have to confess I don't know what I want to achieve as such. I am somewhat naive in this.
I am thinking about a Sub from BK Electronics as a first port of call.
I'm trying to be an audiophile on a budget, and that is about £1k.
We all know that feeling... :D

BK subs are great, I have the XXLS400 and love it, but mainly for AV use. With floorstanders for stereo, not sure I'd have one. Depends on the sort of music you listen to, and how far away your neighbours live :devilish:

Are you looking to stay with a stereo set up, or moving into AV?

D

Deleted member 108165

As Scene says you have floorstanders already so these should be more than adequate on the bass front for music. I've got tiny speakers in a room measuring 3x4 metres and they have more than enough bass for me; but I guess bass is a personal thing.

I'm becoming a little cynical in my old age, (or is that realistic), and have realised that this hobby of ours tends to swallow wads of cash if not careful. The higher the expenditure the less the payback so you need to make a costly jump to get to the next level to make the upgrade significant and discernible.

You have an AV receiver, do you need an AV receiver? 2 channel amps will usually be better for stereo duties but they will generally be more expensive to purchase. With £1K you could get a decent upgrade on the amp if you look into secondhand, then at a later stage upgrade the speakers when you have another £1K spare.

A nice free upgrade is playing with speaker positioning to get the best out of what you have. Post a pic of your room if you like and we may be able to help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts