System to stream

Mallard

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi

im looking to get a system to steam probably tidal wirelessly in smallish room 5mx3m

on a budget of around £3000/3500

will be listening mainly to jazz vocals and classical

any ideas on the best setup and recommendations

thanks in advance

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mallard

I see you have R300s - why are you selling them (which I'm afraid you are not allowed to do on here) and what system are you using them with?

Are you looking to start from scratch?

There are various options, all of which I would recommend you use a Linn DS as Source (linn Sneaky or Majik DS), or Linn Streamer/Amp (Linn Magik DSM).

I would have various recommendations, when I fully understand what you're doing and why.

You have a good budget, so should be able to get something you will be very happy with...all of which needs to be demoed.

Mallard

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Yes I had marantz amp and CD player with rega 3 turntable which were about 15 years old which I sold and I had a modest vinyl collection which I gifted but I held on to the speakers which were a later addition due to their price and as you said I wanted to start from scratch with just the simplicity of streaming. I think the speakers over power the room slightly and wouldn't mind something small. So selling for purely cosmetic reasons. Sorry for posting to sell. I didn't realise I couldn't. I'll try and take it down.

Thanks for your input

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Mallard said:
this is very helpful, I will go hunting and the majik 109 speaker would complete the set up

thanks

Be sure to listen to the Kefs, which "I" think are much better than the Linn Speakers, which are a bit "meh".

Listen to as much as possible, is the best advice I can give you and your preferences will become clear. Trust what "you" like, not what we tell you is best.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My first choice would be a Linn Majik DSM + speakers....My choice would be some ex-dem LS50s (or possibly R100s); ATC (SCM 7); SF (Chamelion B).

Choice 2: Linn Majik DS + Amp (800 GBP) eg. Arcam (A29)/Rega (Elex R)/Creek (Evo 50A) + Speakers (800 GBP - see above)

Choice 3: Linn Sneaky DS...this gives a further 900 GBP to spend on Amp or Speakers or split between the 2. This allows to go a model up in the brands mentioned, or the likes of Musical Fidelity M3Si. If spent on Speakers, it brings in brands like Spendor, Opera and Diapason.

I have pushed Linn, but there are options from Naim and Cyrus as well.

NB. The Majik DSM can be used as a hub for 2 channel and TV, as it has Digital inputs incl HDMI and Sub Pre out.

Take your options and go listen....and have fun!

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Taking your room and principal source (Tidal) into account, how about a Naim Atom plus any of these;

Neat Iota Alpha

Neat Motive (even the largest floorstander is pretty diminutive, but you might be better off with the standmounter) - I love the Neat Motives open and natural sound.

Harbeth P3ESR

Spendor Classic 3/5

As for ANY streaming system I would veer towards manufacturers that have a good record of supporting their apps in the long term. For Naim and Linn they both view streaming as a core of what they do. For others it can be an afterthought. It doesn't matter how epic a system sounds, if the app constantly crashes or is buggy and slow, you will soon lose patience with it. I have heard less than favourable reports about the KEF LS50W's software, although I can't personally verify this. So if the KEFs were on your shortlist, check the app thoroughly first.

So I'd really recommend viewing the testing of any streaming software / app as an equally important aspect of any demo.

D

Deleted member 116933

Personally for me it would be naim. Especially now the updated versions are out! you can pick up good deals on eBay for the superuniti with a chunk of change left for your chosen poison ( speakers), if you want an all in one that is. Personally I wouldn't touch the kef wirelessly speakers. There a messy proposition for connecting things to. Not to mention they have planned obsolescence written all over them. Where as naim have supported the unitis for nearly 10 years already. But with anything all in ones of this nature it's just matter time for all. If you can try to keep it to separate boxes, I would. Tthat way you don't loose the lot in in 5 years (worst case) given that streaming is still very young. Just my opinion though and I my self are currently in the process of moving away from an all in one for this very reason.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
If you decide to go the active route there are plenty options available much cheaper than the KEF LS50 wireless, which I never heard (I only demoed the passive model once).

Maybe you can have a look at Adam A7X, Yamaha HS5, Dynaudio BM5a, Genelec 8040 or Neumann KH120a. Focal has some good monitors as well.
Pro audio monitors are not sold in pairs.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Pedro said:
If you decide to go the active route there are plenty options available much cheaper than the KEF LS50 wireless, which I never heard (I only demoed the passive model once).

Maybe you can have a look at Adam A7X, Yamaha HS5, Dynaudio BM5a, Genelec 8040 or Neumann KH120a. Focal has some good monitors as well. Pro audio monitors are not sold in pairs.

I use Adam Active speakers and I am looking at a Naim 'all in one', either an Atom or a used Unitiqute 2, to drive them from the pre-out, I think that would be an end to my upgrades.

That said, I am a huge fan of active speakers, particularly Adam at more 'affordable' price points. The X-art ribbon tweeter is absolutely outstanding, puts most domes to shame, and they are, compared to most passive speakers, remarkably easy to place in your room.

I know this is not a solution that everyone buys into, each to teir own.

rainsoothe

davedotco said:
Pedro said:

Maybe you can have a look at Adam A7X, Yamaha HS5, Dynaudio BM5a, Genelec 8040 or Neumann KH120a. Focal has some good monitors as well. Pro audio monitors are not sold in pairs.

I use Adam Active speakers and I am looking at a Naim 'all in one', either an Atom or a used Unitiqute 2, to drive them from the pre-out, I think that would be an end to my upgrades.

That said, I am a huge fan of active speakers, particularly Adam at more 'affordable' price points. The X-art ribbon tweeter is absolutely outstanding, puts most domes to shame, and they are, compared to most passive speakers, remarkably easy  to place in your room.

You can get a Nac n 172xs for the same money as UQ2 on the used market (800-900 pounds), and the pre-amp in the 172 is much better (tried UQ2 into nap 200 and it was a bad experience). So if you spot one, take a punt.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
davedotco said:
Pedro said:

That said, I am a huge fan of active speakers, particularly Adam at more 'affordable' price points. The X-art ribbon tweeter is absolutely outstanding, puts most domes to shame, and they are, compared to most passive speakers, remarkably easy to place in your room.

You can get a Nac n 172xs for the same money as UQ2 on the used market (800-900 pounds), and the pre-amp in the 172 is much better (tried UQ2 into nap 200 and it was a bad experience). So if you spot one, take a punt.

It is the functionality that makes the difference.

I listen almost exclusively to Spotify for music, a little bit of talk radio from Tune-in or similar and very occasionally (not that important) something from an iThing via airplay.

It is not clear if the 172xs can do that.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It appears that the 172xs will handle spotify and has internet radio, thats fine for me. No support for Airplay but that is not really critical and I have an AEX I can use if I really want to.

Leaves just one thing, can the two pre-amp outputs be used simultaneously? Ie to active speakers and to a subwoofer. The nanual is not clear on that.

rainsoothe

davedotco said:
It appears that the 172xs will handle spotify and has internet radio, thats fine for me. No support for Airplay but that is not really critical and I have an AEX I can use if I really want to.

Leaves just one thing, can the two pre-amp outputs be used simultaneously? Ie to active speakers and to a subwoofer. The nanual is not clear on that.

Hmm... That's a good question. My intuition says no, but I don't think you can do that with UQ2 either, unless you used passive speakers and the pre-out into the sub. If you want volume control on both the actives and the sub, I doubt you'll find a preamp with 2 pairs of variable pre-out. The only way I could see it work is to either integrate the sub into the actives or vice versa, and even then I'm not sure. Or with some sort of crossover, but I'm not that savvy.
With the 172, what probably works, is one of the pre-outs plus the line outs, so you should choose one component to adjust the volume on manually.

You should ask on the Naim forums, you will surely get an accurate answer there.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
davedotco said:

Hmm... That's a good question. My intuition says no, but I don't think you can do that with UQ2 either, unless you used passive speakers and the pre-out into the sub. If you want volume control on both the actives and the sub, I doubt you'll find a preamp with 2 pairs of variable pre-out. The only way I could see it work is to either integrate the sub into the actives or vice versa, and even then I'm not sure. Or with some sort of crossover, but I'm not that savvy. With the 172, what probably works, is one of the pre-outs plus the line outs, so you should choose one component to adjust the volume on manually.

You should ask on the Naim forums, you will surely get an accurate answer there.

The 272 can select either output or both together, the manual says that the selection is not possible on the 172, so both must be active at the same time otherwise having two outputs makes no sense. The question, I think, is whether you can use both at the same time, without i any interaction.

Using the 'qute, you can get a bit clever, with both the pre-amp outs and the power amp active, I can drive my speakers from the pre-amp and a sub from the speaker outs.

rainsoothe

Aha! Well you should ask on the Naim forums anyway, I'm sure you'll get clarification. The reason there's two pre-outs is for the flexibility of not using Naim power amps, which are happy with din connection. So the RCA is an extra option - for either actives or other brand power amps.

Mallard

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Leeps said:
Taking your room and principal source (Tidal) into account, how about a Naim Atom plus any of these;

Neat Iota Alpha

Neat Motive (even the largest floorstander is pretty diminutive, but you might be better off with the standmounter) - I love the Neat Motives open and natural sound.

Harbeth P3ESR

Spendor Classic 3/5

As for ANY streaming system I would veer towards manufacturers that have a good record of supporting their apps in the long term. For Naim and Linn they both view streaming as a core of what they do. For others it can be an afterthought. It doesn't matter how epic a system sounds, if the app constantly crashes or is buggy and slow, you will soon lose patience with it. I have heard less than favourable reports about the KEF LS50W's software, although I can't personally verify this. So if the KEFs were on your shortlist, check the app thoroughly first.

So I'd really recommend viewing the testing of any streaming software / app as an equally important aspect of any demo.

leeps

thanks for your views,

have you any listened to the linn majik dsm, if so is it comparable to the naim atom and how

do you think it would pair up with the small harbeth speakers and for that matter the small

neat floorstanders you mentioned

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Mallard said:
have you any listened to the linn majik dsm, if so is it comparable to the naim atom and how

do you think it would pair up with the small harbeth speakers and for that matter the small

I am not Leeps, but I can tell you, having listened to Linn and Naim at most prices, that you are very likely to prefer one over the other...and what any of us think personally, is not really relevant.

As I see it, our job is to give you choices. Your job is to listen and choose.

FWIW, I think Linn will go nicely with Harbeth, but not so sure about Neat. If you like Neat, you could consider Kudos, as well.

IME. The Linn pairs very well with Kef R Series and LS50, which I have heard a lot.

CnoEvil said:
Mallard said:

I am not Leeps, but I can tell you, having listened to Linn and Naim at most prices, that you are very likely to prefer one over the other...and what any of us think personally, is not really relevant.

As I see it, our job is to give you choices. Your job is to listen and choose.

FWIW, I think Linn will go nicely with Harbeth, but not so sure about Neat. If you like Neat, you could consider Kudos, as well.

IME. The Linn pairs very well with Kef R Series and LS50, which I have heard a lot.

Wise words. Our job is to help others spend their money.... . Wisely. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts