System Snaps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

igglebert:JohnDuncan:Catcher:I like those speakers. No matter how much money I had to spend on a system I would always buy standmounts. Just something about them I love. Can you get those in black?

Yeah, but you can get some Neutron Vs for 700 quid less
emotion-5.gif

This is a good point. The Neutrons will do a similar job but with less bass, resolution and treble quality (oh, that's all of it).

Seriously though, the SA1s will keep up with kit that will leave the Neutrons in the stalls.

Hey I never said they were as good, I just said they were as shiny
emotion-2.gif

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
They have always turned out good speakers providing (as in all things hi-fi) you match them with with suitable partners, I'm still enjoying my SP1's which I've had for ages but still happy with the sound. I'm scared to go into a reputable dealer in case I discover i need to play catch up and feel the urge for a total revamp. Tho I'd definately stay on the DARK SIDE...

A

Anonymous

Catcher:Captain Destructo:

Why didn't you use Spendor's own stands for the SA1's?

It looks nice and tidy, but it's also kind of weird when people plonk their tv's in the middle of a 2 channel system. Space saving measure I guess.

I find the fact you find it "kind of weird" kind of weird. A lot of people have their tv connected to their amp so the sound comes out of their speakers. Its really a very simple principle to understand.

Its a lovely system by the way and it looks great. I like those speakers. No matter how much money I had to spend on a system I would always buy standmounts. Just something about them I love. Can you get those in black?

It's fine if you're not planning on using a turntable.

My un-informed opinion, but I think a tv (+aerial) on standby could interfer with your hi-fi's sound. Maybe it's best to unplug it when listening.

A

Anonymous

Jiggy Iggy,

The sealed box should produce more accurate bass notes but I find that a small sealed box can struggle, which is why I have a slight preference to the Neutron - this has a tiny rear port.

The price differential may be more due to wildly different distribution channels rather than outright quality?

It could be an interesting discussion.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, you make some good points. The price could indeed be down to a large number of factors other than outright product quality; the veneer is probably no small part of it! The recent hike certainly makes them look a little pricey. The Neutrons are certainly a very good product for the money (an AVI theme here!) and I may have even bought them if the dealer had them on the day. Rear ports are a mixed blessing and require extra consideration when it comes to placement; fundamentally they're there to allow rear-wall reinforcement.

Sealed boxes tend to have the least sensitivity of any design and I think everyone would agree that such beasts don't give the impression of 'ease' that big boxes/drivers do. There's always a trade-off and I would have had something bigger if I had the room. As fate would have it though, the SA1s are fulfilling my requirements with sobering confidence, something that I almost accepted as impossible when I bought them (before I tried them at home and spent any time with them).

I would love to read a group test with the AVI Neutron, Spendor SA1, Proac D1, Harbeth HL-P3ES-2 and ATC SCM11. There's quite a wide price variance there too, with the Harbeths seemingly expensive like the SA1s.

What do you use Eddie?

John Duncan

igglebert:I would love to read a group test with the AVI Neutron, Spendor SA1, Proac D1, Harbeth HL-P3ES-2 and ATC SCM11

In my house, preferably. As you know I lusted after them for a while, but I didn't 'get' the SA1s when I heard them - or at least didn't get the price premium, veneers aside - but I think my amp struggled (the top secret spendor compatibility chart said mine was a no no).

A

Anonymous

I remember you saying about that JD. It baffles me. Your amp is a good 70W unit, capable of very respectable current and voltage delivery. The SA1s are not current hungry (lowest impedance is approx 6.3ohm) so demand voltage more than anything. 70W isn't bad going. Just goes to show how bloody inefficient they are. I think Hifi World measured them to something around 80-82dB W! I'll stick a second 100W up 'em next year, that should snap 'em into shape...

A

Anonymous

chebby:We have the same Samsung telly.

So does everyone I know. Can you get other TVs? I thought it was just Samsung...

John Duncan

igglebert:I remember you saying about that JD. It baffles me. Your amp is a good 70W unit, capable of very respectable current and voltage delivery. The SA1s are not current hungry (lowest impedance is approx 6.3ohm) so demand voltage more than anything. 70W isn't bad going. Just goes to show how bloody inefficient they are. I think Hifi World measured them to something around 80-82dB W! I'll stick a second 100W up 'em next year, that should snap 'em into shape...

Yeah baffled me too. Note however that I had unfamiliar material and was looking for the system as a whole to exhibit zero sibilance, and it didn't. Could have been the material, could've been the amp, yadda yadda. I shall revisit them one day (with different amps to compare) - I'd rather have a closed box with my limited positioning options.

A

Anonymous

It's probably not worth checking them out if you already have the AVIs. The cash would go a long way to an I30, just think of the nobs...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Surely the next step would be ADM9.1's?

We have all read about mikeinbrum's experience. He dumped thousands of quids worth of Bel Canto within 24 hours.

It is getting to be an inevitability around here.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Iggy,

I haven't much of a proper system at present - I sold up to put money into monitors for my amateur musician studio in the spare room,

However, several years ago I had a Lab Series amp and older Neutrons (in gorgeous Rosewood) that trounced the Arcam and Naim bits I had owned leading up to it, so am pretty confident that the current evolution still performs.

JD,

The SA1 isn't a hard drive but is just insensitive, so at least 100watts is needed to get them moving. Since hearing active monitors at my guitarist friend's place several years ago it struck me that it was a waste to chuck loads of money at amps for small, insensitive passives.

A

Anonymous

...but where's the fun when you can't change the amp, DAC, preamp, interconnects, speaker wire, etc...? We'd be left debating which furniture polish to use for the best reflections...

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:...it struck me that it was a waste to chuck loads of money at amps for small, insensitive passives.
As much as I love the little Spens I'd probably have to agree with this. I'd much rather chuck loads of money at valve amps for big, sensitive speakers...
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

It's fine if you don't ever need SPLs, but occasionally I like that. :)

A

Anonymous

One day I'll be posting how I blew up my mini-monitors...

John Duncan

chebby:
Surely the next step would be ADM9.1's?

We have all read about mikeinbrum's experience. He dumped thousands of quids worth of Bel Canto within 24 hours.

It is getting to be an inevitability around here.
emotion-1.gif

In theory, yes. In practice, no - too big and ugly. When he-who-shall-not-be-named makes a pair of stands with more drivers, the power amps and dacs in them (like wilson benesch did, if I remember, or maybe Tag Mclaren), I'll buy 'em.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts