Question System Connectors

Alfi76

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Hello Guys

Ive fot a Denon DRA-F101 and Denon CDC-F101. I bought them seconf hand without a remote control and decided to buy one which seems to have been programmed specifically for this system.
However all I can do is to turn the amplifier on/off, turn volume up/down, control the radio and that's it. No button will control the cd player. I am aware that the two units need to be connected via a connector cable which i have but not sure if its the right kind. Could you please tell me if there is a specific type of connector cable i need to use?
Many thanks.

Gray

From the pictures I saw, it looks like the 'system control' sockets are the 3.5mm type, which would either take 2- pole, or 3-pole plugs.
If you can't get to see a user manual, perhaps get in touch with Denon to find out.
(Personally, I can never understand how or why user manuals get separated from products).

Alfi76

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
From the pictures I saw, it looks like the 'system control' sockets are the 3.5mm type, which would either take 2- pole, or 3-pole plugs.
If you can't get to see a user manual, perhaps get in touch with Denon to find out.
(Personally, I can never understand how or why user manuals get separated from products).

Thanks for your replay Gray. Can you tell me if a three pole connector would actually carry the control inputs from the tuner to the cd player? therefore i can control the first but not the latter?

Tinman1952

Thanks for your replay Gray. Can you tell me if a three pole connector would actually carry the control inputs from the tuner to the cd player? therefore i can control the first but not the latter?
I had this little system about 15 years ago and was very happy with it at the time. Can’t remember what the remote was like honestly but I think there were two system connector inputs on each device….1 and 2….make sure you have them connected to the same one? 🤞

Gray

Can you tell me if a three pole connector would actually carry the control inputs from the tuner to the cd player? therefore i can control the first but not the latter?
Sorry I can't say - that's precisely what the manual will help you with - unless Tinman above can remember what's what from his days with the units.
If I were in your position and could find no online info.....I'd open the units up and have a look at the socket wiring (or more likely their connection to a circuit board). From that you should be able to see how many poles the plugs will need.

Or you could just take a chance with a 3-pole lead in sockets 1 to 1 or 2 to 2. You're unlikely to do any harm.
You may already have this type of lead:
(You won't want that actual one as it's 5 metres long).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinman1952

Alfi76

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Does 'poles' mean whether it'll work with a mono cable or needs a stereo one? If so, most cabling that sends these 'trigger' signals is mono.

So do you think it is a mono cable then. I have downloaded the manuals for both units by the way but it does not mention about the type of cabe it is. It just says sytem connectr cable.

Gray

Just to be clear. something like this?
View attachment 2609
Yes, TRS = Tip, ring and sleeve (the 3 separate poles)
A mono (2-pole) plug has just a tip and sleeve.

The lead you've pictured would actually work perfectly well even if Denon had used mono 2-pole jacks for the connection (in which case there would just be an unused pole on the plugs and an unused conductor core in the cable).
But you couldn't use a 2 pole plug in a 3 pole socket as the sleeve would be shorting out 2 poles that need to remain separate!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts