system change

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I am seriously thinking about changing up my system a bit, specifically to sell my amp and CD player and get the AVI 2.1 sub and a Cambridge audio 650BD.
This is mainly due to a few reasons, one being that I have not been able to use my airport express through my 740C DAC via optical (my traumas are documented on another thread "Horrible airport express sound". I also have all digital sources so need more than the two inputs on the 740C. I would also like to get a bit more punch for movies. I am very unlikely to ever get a full surround set up as the lady of the house would object and I can not really justify the money for how often it would be used so I thought this could be a good compromise.
has anyone heard the 650BD specifically for music? I saw in Andrews blog he felt it was as good as price comparable CD players.
from a technology point of view how would the SACD work in the 2.1 system? would I connect the 650BD to the AVI via optical or RCA to make use of the SACD functionality (ie hi res two channel sound)? I ask because my other half likes classical so it would be good to have this if possible.

What do people think? would this be a step up or more of a sideways step considering the above?
Any help would be great!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'll leave to others to answer the rest, but SACD will only output into such a system via analogue stereo: the S/PDIF digital outputs aren't available from Super Audio discs.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:I'll leave to others to answer the rest, but SACD will only output into such a system via analogue stereo: the S/PDIF digital outputs aren't available from Super Audio discs.

Great thanks Andrew, that being the case just out of curiosity do you think the sound quality for audio would be as good for CD as my 740C? could I connect the 650BD via optical for CD to the subs DAC as well or do you not think there is any point?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts