System building/matching strategy and approach

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
All,

I would like to get some feedback on a system building approach I am considering pursuing. I currently have a decent setup (see bio) and over the next years I would like to take it to the next level and get more into the high end stuff.

Given that all elements in the complete system have their own sonic signature and will 'colour' the music somewhat (good or bad), it is difficult to predict how they will sound in synergy unless you are able to demo every component together in 1 system. Additionally the sound is highly dependent on the listening environment, and hence makes the option of try-before-you-buy impracticable, if not impossible. Also, replacing elements of your setup later on is always a risky task as it can be difficult to know how well they will mate with existing gear. Because of this I was thinking about the following approach which essentially halves the 'colouration' variables:

As a first step start with the speakers and power amp. Get something as accurate, detailed and uncoloured as possible, say, for example ATC SCM series speakers with either active amplification or paired with Bryston power amps (I know, not cheap, however you get every penny your pay for). With poor preamps/sources/recordings these will make your ears bleed however they are conveying to your ears exactly what you are feeding them.

Next, once you really 'know' the sound with your current source/preamp, start looking into preamps and DACs that are more suited to your particular tastes. Some want ultra clinical/detail, others want slight warmth/distortion, etc, etc, etc. Start experimenting with exotic preamps (passive, tube, etc) and DACs until you feel you have maximized the sound to your tastes and what your wallet will allow. You can be sure that the amplification/speakers will bring out every ounce of sonics you are feeding them.

In short, let the DAC/preamp drive the sonic signature of your system as these are easy to test drive and replace as time and tastes progress.

Thoughts on this would be appreciated!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
In general, sounds like a very good stategy. Of course, at the price point you're talking about I would expect most dealers to allow you a home demo, so I'm not sure try before you buy is impractical / impossible. I would highly recommend ATC, especially active ATC, for the reasons (and more) that you say. Of course, if you do not in fact like a neutral, uncoloured presentation, you may spend some time when you are not happy with the sound you've got. On the other hand, many now-dedicated ATC owners find it takes time to get used to the sound because they are used to listening to a coloured presentation from previous speakers, but grow to love the detailed and neutral sound.

A

Anonymous

Set your budget, go down to your local HiFi stores and listen. Don't be distracted by reviews and forum comments, it's your ears. Yes, make a shortlist, but be prepared both to listen beyond it and, if requirede, throw it out.

If you buy according to reviews and forums you may be heavily disappointed. Also, don't forget there are many speakers and amps that you don't hear much about but are absolute gems.

As to coloration, well, again its your ears. What is neutral and detailed to one person is a painful listen to another.

Also, forget source first, you need to listen to the lot together. Most DACs/CD players sound far more similar than amps and speakers, so going down that route may not be helpful. Don't forget the whole source first things started in the days of the turntable, and there is far less variation between CD players/dacs than there is between turntables and cartridges.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Yes the amp/power amp and speakers is where the synergy is prominent and the ATC actives like the SCM50SL AT would be a neutral speaker. If you like the Bryston then the PowerPacs are discrete, partnered with PMC would be worth a listen plus there own active range.

The pre will make a tonal difference. From your sig you run a Mac and an option would be to use a DAC with digital pre amp thus cutting 2 boxes to one. There are a few that spring to mind the Benchmark DAC1 (or variants of), Grace Design, Bel Canto Dac 3 and the Firewire Weiss Dac 202 all well reviewed and worth an audition. Otherwise yes the 2 box approach.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts