Synology NAS drive question

alpne1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi I am looking to buy a Synology DS213J mainly for music. My questions are these will the NAS drive be compatable with all music file types. Is the music software on the NAS pre installed and does it provide a graphic equiliser in the DS audio app. Im not very experienced with this new tech stuff ha ha Thanks

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
The NAS will accept all of the music file formats--I use it with AAC, alac, flac, etc. You can choose which apps you want to use with your system, but you download them from Synology once you've set up the system. There's a wide range available for music, video, security, cloud server, etc. If you use a squeezebox, there's also a Logitech server app. You then download an app to your phone or ipad to control playback. It is very simple--but plan on a day or so for transferring and setting files if you have a large collection.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
npoguy said:
The NAS will accept all of the music file formats--I use it with AAC, alac, flac, etc. You can choose which apps you want to use with your system, but you download them from Synology once you've set up the system. There's a wide range available for music, video, security, cloud server, etc. If you use a squeezebox, there's also a Logitech server app. You then download an app to your phone or ipad to control playback. It is very simple--but plan on a day or so for transferring and setting files if you have a large collection.

...and it has a equalizer but it's not controled from the app, it has to be from the server program in the pc.

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I recently installed a 212j, and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. And yes it plays everything - everything I've thrown at it anyway - only thing I've struggled with is 192khz content (all 3 albums I own!) but that's my DAC and streamer and not the Synology. The DS audio app doesn't have EQ - or if it does, I can't see it!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
andrew_cawood said:
I recently installed a 212j, and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. And yes it plays everything - everything I've thrown at it anyway - only thing I've struggled with is 192khz content (all 3 albums I own!) but that's my DAC and streamer and not the Synology. The DS audio app doesn't have EQ - or if it does, I can't see it!

The DS Audio app in the ithings or android doesn't have equalizer, but the app running in the DS has equalizer but controled only from the PC !

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
[/quote]

The DS Audio app in the ithings or android doesn't have equalizer, but the app running in the DS has equalizer but controled only from the PC !

[/quote]

I stand corrected!

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Interesting difference. Wonder why?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

[/quote]

I stand corrected!

[/quote]

:)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Quite a few users on here with the Synology DS212j and using it with a dedicated external DAC for great results!

One thing to consider is that it doesn't doo gapless playback which is my only crtiticism!

However to get round this I have joined up the Albums tracks via itunes - bit of a hassle though!

malifact

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I thought that music streamed from a Synology NAS could be played without gaps, provided the receiver supports it? I'm pretty sure this was the case when I had a home demo of a UnitiLite.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The Naim uses its own UI as do most other streaming devices. The Synology does have its own software but it is this software which does not support gapless playback hence why I use a Sonos to control the content stored on my Synology.

Tacty

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
as far as i can tell, synology own ds audio app doesnt support bitperfect playing? if you are using synology nas directly into dac you cant get a bitperfect sound...maybe it s not a problem with mp3 but what about 24/96 or 24/192 files, they are downsampled at 16/44 i suppose?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Tacty said:
as far as i can tell, synology own ds audio app doesnt support bitperfect playing? if you are using synology nas directly into dac you cant get a bitperfect sound...maybe it s not a problem with mp3 but what about 24/96 or 24/192 files, they are downsampled at 16/44 i suppose?

Yes they are, but the quality of the USB input of Rega DAC made me forget about hi-res files, played by SBT and into Rega DAc through COAX cable ( All my cables are QED performance)

I've said this before 24/96-192 played at 16/44 sound like never before!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
16/44 into a Rega DAC via NAS sounds more than fine, i prefer it to streaming into a ATV3>optical>DAC, sounds smoother!

But - and its a BIG but, my MBP via optical > Rega DAC sounds the best, I dunno why but it just does and I am seriously considering buying a MacMini just for my DAC and getting rid of the Synology as the lack of gapless is getting to me and I think the apple Remote app is superb.

I dont play much digital these days though, prefer Vinyl

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
16/44 into a Rega DAC via NAS sounds more than fine, i prefer it to streaming into a ATV3>optical>DAC, sounds smoother!

But - and its a BIG but, my MBP via optical > Rega DAC sounds the best, I dunno why but it just does and I am seriously considering buying a MacMini just for my DAC and getting rid of the Synology as the lack of gapless is getting to me and I think the apple Remote app is superb.

I dont play much digital these days though, prefer Vinyl

Can you explain to me what is "Gapless" please? i've read the definition on wikipedia and didn' understand...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Gapless?

Well as an example .... Pink Floyd - DSOTM when you play its continuos all the way through, track to track is seamless ie gapless!

However the Synology NAS actually pauses for a second so you have gaps between each track which really is detrimental to the enjoyment of the music!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Gapless?

Well as an example .... Pink Floyd - DSOTM when you play its continuos all the way through, track to track is seamless ie gapless!

However the Synology NAS actually pauses for a second so you have gaps between each track which really is detrimental to the enjoyment of the music!

Ok, I got it now! But what about vinyl? It has gapless between every music, just in a few albums that doesn't have it, like live ones for instance.

I don't get why it get in your nerves so much. SBT was getting in mine as when i wanted to play musics from different albums it took ages to play the the next one! For me the DS Audio player is working like a charm. :grin:

Thank and :cheers:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
DSOTM on vinyl has no gaps

DSOTM on CD has no gaps

DSOTM on Synolgy NAS is not gapless and its bugging the hell out of me!

For the most part it doesnt matter, but those albums that have no gaps (which i own a few of) its bugging me!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
stevebrock said:
DSOTM on vinyl has no gaps

DSOTM on CD has no gaps

DSOTM on Synolgy NAS is not gapless and its bugging the hell out of me!

For the most part it doesnt matter, but those albums that have no gaps (which i own a few of) its bugging me!

I own a few as well and that would bug the hell out of me too!, thank you Sonos! :cheer:

pupazaru

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi stevebrock,

I do not manage to clarify if it is possible to play music using a NAS (like DS212) with a DAC without an additional media streamer (or PC).

More exactly for playing the music is it possible to:

- connect via USB (since it is the only connection) the NAS directly to an external DAC? if yes would flac 24/192 be supported and bit-perfect?

- play/browse the music, based on the music server on the NAS, using a certain (Synology DS audio or other) app on ios and android, and via web-interface ?

Thanks in advance for clarifications and for mentioning what are some limitations of NAS+DAC!

Kind Regards,
Cristian

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
My 213j is connected via USB to a Emotiva DAC and I can play FLAC, ALAC, etc without issue. I also use the DS Audio controller to manage my music. Just a sidenote...I originally streamed the Synology through a SB Touch, but I lost Spotify and my radio presets, so I went back to using the Synology for my music library and the SBT for streaming radio and Spotify.

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
pupazaru wrote:

I do not manage to clarify if it is possible to play music using a NAS (like DS212) with a DAC without an additional media streamer (or PC).

More exactly for playing the music is it possible to:

- connect via USB (since it is the only connection) the NAS directly to an external DAC? if yes would flac 24/192 be supported and bit-perfect? Yes

- play/browse the music, based on the music server on the NAS, using a certain (Synology DS audio or other) app on ios and android, and via web-interface ? Yes

I've been using it on my second system for the past 6 months and I love it.

TRENDING THREADS