Synology DS212j > Rega DAC

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well I have releagted my SBT to the bedroom with a pair of active speakers!

Currently using my MacBook Pro streaming ALAC files via optical straight into my Rega DAC with excellent results and improvement over the SBT.

I want to buy a Synology DS212j NAS with 2 x 1TB WD Red harddrives, Is there any Mac experts out there who can advise me of getting my Macs iTunes library onto the NAS and for my Mac to always point to the library on the NAS

I want to hardwire the NAS to my DAC via USB, but be able to control iTunes library on the NAS with my iOS app

Thanks

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
If you want to use iTunes to play music, the signal will have to come from your Macs optical or usb. The library can be on the nas, but you can't use iTunes to play it but have the music go straight from the nas to your dac. The best way to do that would be to use the Synology app Audio Station (a bit more info), which you install directly on your nas. You still use your Android/iOS device to control it with a Synology forum dedicated to Audio Station.

I've used a Mac direct to dac, Airplay to Atv into dac, and now nas into dac. I'm very happy with the nas into dac way of playing music. You can also use the nas as a Time Machine backup for your Mac.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Craig - I thought as much! Just that I seem to like the iOS Remote app, but heard the Synology app is as good!

thanks for the info!

SBT now in berdroom with Active speakers - SBT points to iTunes library on my MBP - Getting sorted now......got a Vinyl front end system in the Lounge along with my CDs in ALAC on my MBP which can be streamed upstairs to the SBT!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steve

i've wrote this somewhere else, but why not keep things simple. I've a Synology 213 2x3 TB HD, and recently i've connected the NAS directly to Rega DAC with amaizing results !!! The iOS app work like a charm in my iPad commanding the DS Audio player, and faster that SBT app and SBT it self.

My library is mainly FLAC file, so i've never used itunes as a player.

I've connected my SBT to my NAD 3020i in my bedroom as well in last month preventing falls by the wayside... :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thats what I am trying to acheieve!

Got an ace Vinyl front end system in lounge combined with my Rega DAC - Best of both worlds and I find myself frequently going between them!

ALAC via Optical into the Rega DAC sounds way better than the SBT into Rega DAC so when I get my NAS set up it will be perfect!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Thats what i've, Vinyl and FLAC files ! I've orther a USB cable from QED, as mine is the cheapest USB that you can get... ;)

i'm thinking now in getting a USB/COAX converter to be able to listening to my Hi-Res FLAC files.

I don't want to spend more then €100, do you guys can advice me in some components...?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yep going to go USB intially from NAS to DAC, to be honest only got 2 albums in 24/96 so probably just stream in 16/44.

I think the popular one is the Musical Fidelity SPDIF converter!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Yep going to go USB intially from NAS to DAC, to be honest only got 2 albums in 24/96 so probably just stream in 16/44.

I think the popular one is the Musical Fidelity SPDIF converter!

Thanks Steve, but that is a bit more, 230€ or so, but is the VLink 192 and not the 96. Let's see you never know!

Best REGArds !

:cheers:

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
You could always try a Sonos Connect to bypass the MBP. Personally, I prefer the UI of the Sonos software to the DS Music software and have the music library set up so it takes the music from my Nas. I use iTunes to rip my CDs and they go straight into the Nas folder I set up.

You can change the folder that music is saved to under Preferences, then under Advanced.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Sonos means more expense that I dont really need - thanks anyway.

It will be iTunes library on my NAS connected to my Rega DAC and using DS audio app on my iPhone!

Synology DS212j & 2 x 1TB WD Red ordered from Amazon.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I can se in your sig that you've already the Synology NAS, what are your first findings?

Do you have it connected throught USB to Rega DAC?

And what you think of the IOS App?

And VS the SBT? :twisted:

:cheers:

Best REGArds

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes connected via USB to my Rega DAC, sounds the same as my MBP > optical > Rega DAC and both these arrangements are better than my Apollo R/DAC combo.

Finally really hearing what the Rega DAC is really capable of - its absolutely superb!

Totally sold on CD transports being the weakest link!

Dont think I will be buying another CDP

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts