Synology CPU help

alpne1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I recently bought a Synology DS213J and followed the manual on accessing over the internet / port forwarding. Now I'm not that good at all this computer malarky but since I did this the CPU on the monitor screen is constantly at 98 to 99% whilst the RAM is 23%. This has resulted in when I attempt to play music from the NAS drive it takes about 30 sec to find a song then keeps stopping all the way through the song as if it is buffering.

As soon as I put it back to manual IP address its all fine !!!!!

Any ideas ? what have I done

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
alpne1 said:
Hi I recently bought a Synology DS213J and followed the manual on accessing over the internet / port forwarding. Now I'm not that good at all this computer malarky but since I did this the CPU on the monitor screen is constantly at 98 to 99% whilst the RAM is 23%. This has resulted in when I attempt to play music from the NAS drive it takes about 30 sec to find a song then keeps stopping all the way through the song as if it is buffering. As soon as I put it back to manual IP address its all fine !!!!! Any ideas ? what have I done Thanks

Can you just confirm what it is you do exactly which results in the high CPU. I'm not quite sure what you mean by putting it back to a manual IP address? Why would you be setting this to DHCP in order to access over the internet?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Also, would be useful to check which process is using all the CPU when this is happening. If you log on to your Synology through the web browser, then click on the "Start" menu in the top left hand corner and open Resource Monitor.

synology_1.png

There's a tab here called Process. Click on this, then click on the CPU column to sort the results so you can see which process is using all the CPU and report this back.

synology_2.png

alpne1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
:help: Well, I wanted to be able to access my Nas drive over vthe internet and read the help manual on the Synology site on how to do it. as mine is via router it uses a static IP address. So I completed the process and noticed the CPU at 100% but as soon as I changed it to a automatic IP address the CPU went back to normal ?????

I did notice in processes that convert was using a masive amoint of CPU but dont know what this is ??

Sorry I dont know alot about all this; all the jargon is very confusing.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
alpne1 said:
:help: Well, I wanted to be able to access my Nas drive over vthe internet and read the help manual on the Synology site on how to do it. as mine is via router it uses a static IP address. So I completed the process and noticed the CPU at 100% but as soon as I changed it to a automatic IP address the CPU went back to normal ?????

I did notice in processes that convert was using a masive amoint of CPU but dont know what this is ??

Sorry I dont know alot about all this; all the jargon is very confusing.

Scratch what I originally wrote. I'd sugest it's worth doing as Another Joe says and posting on the Synology forums where there are more experienced folk!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts