Switching to CM1 rears....Which stands?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys

So after much debate I am switching to the CM1’s for the rears. The only reason for this sudden change is that I can now have the rears behind the sofa! Before DS3's were used as my sofa was against the wall.
So the question is which speaker stands do I need.

I like the super Dreadnoughts and the Custom Design FS104 Signature, however here is the problem - What is the correct height for speakers at the rear? I heard 4 theories.

1. 2ft above head
2. Dolby and THX say above ear level, but no indication of how high.
3. At ear level
4. Same height as fronts
All stands are 50cm - 1 meter tall? The two above are 60cm at best, yet rated highly. If 2ft was to be correct height, you cannot find a stand for it. Then you think about wall mounts, but wall mounts are bringing the speaker close to the wall and that’s no good.

What do you guys think, any good ideas on stands or placement?

Thanks Again

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi Duaplex, The B&W stands that go with the CM1 are the B&W FS700s. I bought a pair for the surrounds, but they are really too short for placing next to a settee etc - they need to be above "cushion level" :)

I managed to buiild a small platform that one stand rests on (the other is now wall-mounted), that raises it about 15cm to approximately ear level, and about same level height as top of the fronts. (tops are at same level).

Personally, and based on the better result with wall-mounting higher up, they seem to do better a bit higher.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
duaplex said:
Hi Guys So after much debate I am switching to the CM1’s for the rears. The only reason for this sudden change is that I can now have the rears behind the sofa! Before DS3's were used as my sofa was against the wall. So the question is which speaker stands do I need. I like the super Dreadnoughts and the Custom Design FS104 Signature, however here is the problem - What is the correct height for speakers at the rear? I heard 4 theories. 1. 2ft above head 2. Dolby and THX say above ear level, but no indication of how high. 3. At ear level 4. Same height as fronts All stands are 50cm - 1 meter tall? The two above are 60cm at best, yet rated highly. If 2ft was to be correct height, you cannot find a stand for it. Then you think about wall mounts, but wall mounts are bringing the speaker close to the wall and that’s no good. What do you guys think, any good ideas on stands or placement? Thanks Again
maybe check this item number out on a well known auction site

They could be a great height for what you need at a very chea price!!!

TRENDING THREADS